wall street welfare

Bailing out firms without imposing regulations on them to prevent their future need for bailout is a very serious problem with very negative consequences. The message the industry receives is that they can be reckless and the FED will bail them out.

bingo. my sentiments exactly.

Crap. I agree with Cypress. Something is wrong, the earth's axis has shifted, and everybody is speaking French!

bingo. my sentiments exactly.

amen.

This is just further proof of who runs out government.

It is not our votes or even our fussing over what someones preacher said. Big money and Corps control our government. We no longer do, the thin curtain of a republic is falling down in tatters.

Bailing out firms without imposing regulations on them to prevent their future need for bailout is a very serious problem with very negative consequences. The message the industry receives is that they can be reckless and the FED will bail them out.

Of course they need to be regulated... but let's not be overly headstrong here. The Dow would be dead right now if Bear Stern died, and all the people who defend upon their investments for retirement and such would be fucked. We should bail out and then fix the problem.

Of course they need to be regulated... but let's not be overly headstrong here. The Dow would be dead right now if Bear Stern died, and all the people who defend upon their investments for retirement and such would be fucked. We should bail out and then fix the problem.
We should do them at the same time.

the dow should be fucked right now.
Topspin advocating lower stock prices!!!! Is the world spinning the wrong way????

Stocks are way to high and have been for years. The welfare should not have been dolled out. Peoples retirements would be better off paying cheap or fair prices now instead of over paying and having less shares at retirement.

the dow should be fucked right now.
Topspin advocating lower stock prices!!!! Is the world spinning the wrong way????

Stocks are way to high and have been for years. The welfare should not have been dolled out. Peoples retirements would be better off paying cheap or fair prices now instead of over paying and having less shares at retirement.

Damo did you edit this post?

"Topspin advocating lower stock prices!!!! Is the world spinning the wrong way????"

That doesn't sound like Topper. And I've never heard Topper talk about himself in third person before. The remark just seems like it was jarringly different than the rest, and it sounds like something you'd say. I thought you may have hit the wrong button somewhere.

"Topspin advocating lower stock prices!!!! Is the world spinning the wrong way????"

That doesn't sound like Topper. And I've never heard Topper talk about himself in third person before. The remark just seems like it was jarringly different than the rest, and it sounds like something you'd say. I thought you may have hit the wrong button somewhere.
Nope. I guess he decided to act like Bob Dole.

watergerber you must focus grasshopper. Even though you are not buying now you should be learning. I've said at least a dozen time that stocks pe's above 15 are expensive. They have been 30% higher for 5yrs. They must come down and so must housing prices.
It's called regression to the mean.

watergerber you must focus grasshopper. Even though you are not buying now you should be learning. I've said at least a dozen time that stocks pe's above 15 are expensive. They have been 30% higher for 5yrs. They must come down and so must housing prices.
It's called regression to the mean.
We've unnaturally sustained growth to stave of recession and in doing so overvalued many things.

Buy commodities people. Rare metals and oil. If you had bought gold when I told you to you would have over 300% increases in your cash by now.

Disclaimer:
You assume the risk if you purchase, it is only advice... blah, blah, can't sue me.

Hype, BS did essentially die from $150 plus to $2 in about 9 months.
WS would recover and be stronger for it in the long run.

Some nerve demonstrated here on the part of the original poster.

The libertarian movement in this country is the most consistent anti-corporate welfare block of folks around.

Democrats have a plank in their national platform against Corporate Welfare, but then when the principle is tested with companies looking for a handout, they always submit to the special interests and call it "economic development" or "investing in our future".

The libertarian movement in this country is the most consistent anti-corporate welfare block of folks around.

Democrats have a plank in their national platform against Corporate Welfare, but then when the principle is tested with companies looking for a handout, they always submit to the special interests and call it "economic development" or "investing in our future".

Adam, what do you think of anti-monopoly laws? Or food inspectors? Can the market solve these problems?

Sure reduce food inspections and more people die thus reducing demand for food, dropping the price.

Not quite the way I would do it though.

That popping sound you can hear isn't your ears, it's the bubble economy bursting. The US in in recession. The rest of us will wear it as well. Can you please put someone competent in the White House oh and get that private corporation called the Federal Reserve under government control when you do.

On the other hand this is an object lesson in why unrestrained capitalism is a bad thing, so there's a silver lining there.

Libertarians, like CATO institute are part of the problem of excessive deregulation. The article is, in part, about the follys of blind deregulation. Surely, you're not suggesting that many libertarians haven't been cheerleading ever more and more deregulation. And that CATO hasn't generally been expressing utter disdain for increased government oversight and intervention of markets and financial institutions.

Back