Washington Redskins Name Offensive?

cawacko

I've read quite a few sports writers state the Redskins team name needs to be changed. Here an article from Rick Riley of SI on what some Native Americans think.

Have the people spoken?

I guess this is where I'm supposed to fall in line and do what every other American sports writer is doing. I'm supposed to swear I won't ever write the words "Washington Redskins" anymore because it's racist and offensive and a slap in the face to all Native Americans who ever lived. Maybe it is.

I just don't quite know how to tell my father-in-law, a Blackfeet Indian. He owns a steak restaurant on the reservation near Browning, Mont. He has a hard time seeing the slap-in-the-face part.

"The whole issue is so silly to me," says Bob Burns, my wife's father and a bundle holder in the Blackfeet tribe. "The name just doesn't bother me much. It's an issue that shouldn't be an issue, not with all the problems we've got in this country."

And I definitely don't know how I'll tell the athletes at Wellpinit (Wash.) High School -- where the student body is 91.2 percent Native American -- that the "Redskins" name they wear proudly across their chests is insulting them. Because they have no idea.

"I've talked to our students, our parents and our community about this and nobody finds any offense at all in it," says Tim Ames, the superintendent of Wellpinit schools. "'Redskins' is not an insult to our kids. 'Wagon burners' is an insult. 'Prairie n-----s' is an insult. Those are very upsetting to our kids. But 'Redskins' is an honorable name we wear with pride. … In fact, I'd like to see somebody come up here and try to change it."

Boy, you try to help some people …

And it's not going to be easy telling the Kingston (Okla.) High School (57.7 percent Native American) Redskins that the name they've worn on their uniforms for 104 years has been a joke on them this whole time. Because they wear it with honor.

"We have two great tribes here," says Kingston assistant school superintendent Ron Whipkey, "the Chicasaw and the Choctaw. And not one member of those tribes has ever come to me or our school with a complaint. It is a prideful thing to them."

"It's a name that honors the people," says Kingston English teacher Brett Hayes, who is Choctaw. "The word 'Oklahoma' itself is Choctaw for 'red people.' The students here don't want it changed. To them, it seems like it's just people who have no connection with the Native American culture, people out there trying to draw attention to themselves.

"My kids are really afraid we're going to lose the Redskin name. They say to me, 'They're not going to take it from us, are they, Dad?'"

Too late. White America has spoken. You aren't offended, so we'll be offended for you.

Same story with the Red Mesa (Ariz.) High School Redskins. They wear the name with fierce pride. They absolutely don't see it as an insult. But what do they know? The student body is only 99.3 percent Native American.

And even though an Annenberg Public Policy Center poll found that 90 percent of Native Americans were not offended by the Redskins name, and even though linguists say the "redskins" word was first used by Native Americans themselves, and even though nobody on the Blackfeet side of my wife's family has ever had someone insult them with the word "redskin," it doesn't matter. There's no stopping a wave of PC-ness when it gets rolling.

I mean, when media stars like USA Today's Christine Brennan, a white woman from Ohio, and Peter King, a white man from Massachusetts, have jumped on a people's cause, there's no going back.

Besides, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said last week that if "even one person is offended" on this issue, we need to "listen."

One person?

Got it. Guess we need to listen to people who are offended by the Kansas City Chiefs' name, too. That's one that offends my father-in-law. "You see some little guy wearing a headdress made of chicken feathers," he says, "painting his face up, making a mockery of us. I hate that. Those are things you earn."

One person? I know an atheist who is offended by religious names like the New Orleans Saints and Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. There are people who who don't think Ole Miss should be the Rebels. People who lost family to Hurricanes. There are people who think Wizards promotes paganism. Shall we listen to all of them?

I guess so.

Edmundo Macedo, vice president of ESPN's Stats & Information group, told ESPN ombudsman Robert Lipsyte that the term Redskins is abhorrent. "We would not accept anything similar as a team nickname if it were associated with any other ethnicity or any other race," Macedo said.

Oh, yes, we would.

In fact, ESPN and many other media companies cover the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, the Cleveland Indians and the Atlanta Braves without a single searing search of their social conscience.

Doesn't matter. The 81-year-old Washington Redskins name is falling, and everybody better get out of the way. For the majority of Native Americans who don't care, we'll care for them. For the Native Americans who haven't asked for help, we're glad to give it to them.

Trust us. We know what's best. We'll take this away for your own good, and put up barriers that protect you from ever being harmed again.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9689220/redskins-name-change-not-easy-sounds

I've read quite a few sports writers state the Redskins team name needs to be changed. Here an article from Rick Riley of SI on what some Native Americans think.

Have the people spoken?

I guess this is where I'm supposed to fall in line and do what every other American sports writer is doing. I'm supposed to swear I won't ever write the words "Washington Redskins" anymore because it's racist and offensive and a slap in the face to all Native Americans who ever lived. Maybe it is.

I just don't quite know how to tell my father-in-law, a Blackfeet Indian. He owns a steak restaurant on the reservation near Browning, Mont. He has a hard time seeing the slap-in-the-face part.

"The whole issue is so silly to me," says Bob Burns, my wife's father and a bundle holder in the Blackfeet tribe. "The name just doesn't bother me much. It's an issue that shouldn't be an issue, not with all the problems we've got in this country."

And I definitely don't know how I'll tell the athletes at Wellpinit (Wash.) High School -- where the student body is 91.2 percent Native American -- that the "Redskins" name they wear proudly across their chests is insulting them. Because they have no idea.

"I've talked to our students, our parents and our community about this and nobody finds any offense at all in it," says Tim Ames, the superintendent of Wellpinit schools. "'Redskins' is not an insult to our kids. 'Wagon burners' is an insult. 'Prairie n-----s' is an insult. Those are very upsetting to our kids. But 'Redskins' is an honorable name we wear with pride. … In fact, I'd like to see somebody come up here and try to change it."

And it's not going to be easy telling the Kingston (Okla.) High School (57.7 percent Native American) Redskins that the name they've worn on their uniforms for 104 years has been a joke on them this whole time. Because they wear it with honor.

"We have two great tribes here," says Kingston assistant school superintendent Ron Whipkey, "the Chicasaw and the Choctaw. And not one member of those tribes has ever come to me or our school with a complaint. It is a prideful thing to them."

"It's a name that honors the people," says Kingston English teacher Brett Hayes, who is Choctaw. "The word 'Oklahoma' itself is Choctaw for 'red people.' The students here don't want it changed. To them, it seems like it's just people who have no connection with the Native American culture, people out there trying to draw attention to themselves.

"My kids are really afraid we're going to lose the Redskin name. They say to me, 'They're not going to take it from us, are they, Dad?'"

Too late. White America has spoken. You aren't offended, so we'll be offended for you.

Same story with the Red Mesa (Ariz.) High School Redskins. They wear the name with fierce pride. They absolutely don't see it as an insult. But what do they know? The student body is only 99.3 percent Native American.

And even though an Annenberg Public Policy Center poll found that 90 percent of Native Americans were not offended by the Redskins name, and even though linguists say the "redskins" word was first used by Native Americans themselves, and even though nobody on the Blackfeet side of my wife's family has ever had someone insult them with the word "redskin," it doesn't matter. There's no stopping a wave of PC-ness when it gets rolling.

I mean, when media stars like USA Today's Christine Brennan, a white woman from Ohio, and Peter King, a white man from Massachusetts, have jumped on a people's cause, there's no going back.

Besides, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said last week that if "even one person is offended" on this issue, we need to "listen."

One person?

Got it. Guess we need to listen to people who are offended by the Kansas City Chiefs' name, too. That's one that offends my father-in-law. "You see some little guy wearing a headdress made of chicken feathers," he says, "painting his face up, making a mockery of us. I hate that. Those are things you earn."

One person? I know an atheist who is offended by religious names like the New Orleans Saints and Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. There are people who who don't think Ole Miss should be the Rebels. People who lost family to Hurricanes. There are people who think Wizards promotes paganism. Shall we listen to all of them?

I guess so.

Edmundo Macedo, vice president of ESPN's Stats & Information group, told ESPN ombudsman Robert Lipsyte that the term Redskins is abhorrent. "We would not accept anything similar as a team nickname if it were associated with any other ethnicity or any other race," Macedo said.

Oh, yes, we would.

In fact, ESPN and many other media companies cover the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, the Cleveland Indians and the Atlanta Braves without a single searing search of their social conscience.

Doesn't matter. The 81-year-old Washington Redskins name is falling, and everybody better get out of the way. For the majority of Native Americans who don't care, we'll care for them. For the Native Americans who haven't asked for help, we're glad to give it to them.

Trust us. We know what's best. We'll take this away for your own good, and put up barriers that protect you from ever being harmed again.

I'm offended by the "Dallas Cowboys".
They should have to change the part that refers to Dallas. :)

Have the people spoken?

One person?

I guess so.

Oh, yes, we would.

I'm sorry but that's a stupid article. You know what the author is? An apologist for racism. Don't believe me? Well let's draw some comparisons by changing the name of some sports teams and see if you find them offensive?

How about;

The New York Jews?
The Pittsburgh Negros?
The Boston Brahmans?
The Texas Wetbacks?
The New England Caucasians?
The Tennessee Hillbillys?
The Arizona Illegals?
The University of Washington Fatties?
The Cincinnati Rednecks?

See my point?

Now how do you think a lot of Native Americans feel about "The Washington Redskins"?

Last edited:
I have to admit....I kinda like "The University of Washington Fatties".

has more than one meaning. :)

Besides...if you ever been to Washington you'd know what I mean...they're not Husky....they're fucking fat!

I have to admit....I kinda like "The University of Washington Fatties".

has more than one meaning. :)

Besides...if you ever been to Washington you'd know what I mean...they're not Husky....they're fucking fat!

Midwest has one of the nation's biggest claims to the name. At least Milwaukee does. We're all health freaks up here, because of how many Californians have invaded over the years.

I do like New York Jews, though...

Midwest has one of the nation's biggest claims to the name. At least Milwaukee does. We're all health freaks up here, because of how many Californians have invaded over the years.

I do like New York Jews, though...
Actually thats the south bit you miss the point these names are supposed to be offensive.

While "Redskin" may be ok for a team/school that is mostly American Indian - if they choose it themselves and really like it -

In the case of the Washington Redskin, that team has a hugely racist past; the owner was racist, and the name, coming from him, is racist. They resisted integrating the teams longer than any other football team.

The team was the last NFL franchise to integrate, and only did so after a rising protest movement and the Kennedy administration forced the issue. The roadblock to integration was the man who brought the team to Washington and, not at all coincidentally, bestowed the team with the name “Redskins”: George Preston Marshall. Marshall was without question a great football innovator who invented rituals like halftime shows, the Pro Bowl, and was an early popularizer of the forward pass. He was also a stone bigot. At the time, the Redskins were the southern-most team in the NFL, and Marshall marketed his team to a white Southern audience by playing Dixie before games and saying proudly, “We'll start signing Negroes when the Harlem Globetrotters start signing whites.” This is why the team is called Redskins: it was a racist name from a racist owner.

http://www.thenation.com/article/158409/history-lesson-redskins-owner#

I'm sorry but that's a stupid article. You know what the author is? An apologist for racism. Don't believe me? Well let's draw some comparisons by changing the name of some sports teams and see if you find them offensive?

How about;

The New York Jews?
The Pittsburgh Negros?
The Boston Brahmans?
The Texas Wetbacks?
The Arizona Illegals?
The Cincinnati Rednecks?

See my point?

Now how do you think a lot of Native Americans feel about "The Washington Redskins"?[/QUOTE]

So is your point that most Native Americans are offended by the name and he only found at few that weren't and thus wasn't telling the full story?

So is your point that most Native Americans are offended by the name and he only found at few that weren't and thus wasn't telling the full story?

I'm not offended by their name at all. Our high school is the Savages right in the middle if Indian country. I asked my tribal chief (he goes to our church) if he was ever pressured to lobby the legislature to change high school names like that. Guess what he said? "Not much and mostly by white folks."

I just want the Redskins to lose because I'm a Dallas fan.

How about;

The New York Jews?
The Pittsburgh Negros?
The Boston Brahmans?
The Texas Wetbacks?
The Arizona Illegals?
The Cincinnati Rednecks?

See my point?

Now how do you think a lot of Native Americans feel about "The Washington Redskins"?[/QUOTE]

Re-read my last sentence. Is there something about it that you don't understand?

I'm not offended by their name at all. Our high school is the Savages right in the middle if Indian country. I asked my tribal chief (he goes to our church) if he was ever pressured to lobby the legislature to change high school names like that. Guess what he said? "Not much and mostly by white folks."

I just want the Redskins to lose because I'm a Dallas fan.
There's something seriously wrong with you son. You don't like George Carlin and you like the Dallas Cowboys?

Be that as it may. That's not the point. The point is that naming sports teams after racial and ethnic groups, particularly when the names are pejorative in nature, are offensive to many of those people. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. Though it does take a great deal on insensitivity to ignore it.

You're a religious person. Would you like it if instead of "The Savages" your local team was called "The Holy Rollers"? You're white too. Would you like it if your team was called "The Crackers"? Wouldn't you find that offensive? That's really the point. Just because a form of racism is "soft" racism doesn't mean it's any less racism.

There's something seriously wrong with you son. You don't like George Carlin and you like the Dallas Cowboys?

Be that as it may. That's not the point. The point is that naming sports teams after racial and ethnic groups, particularly when the names are pejorative in nature, are offensive to many of those people. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. Though it does take a great deal on insensitivity to ignore it.

You're a religious person. Would you like it if instead of "The Savages" your local team was called "The Holy Rollers"? You're white too. Would you like it if your team was called "The Crackers"? Wouldn't you find that offensive? That's really the point. Just because a form of racism is "soft" racism doesn't mean it's any less racism.

Isn't lr part Native American? And a white guy is telling him he is suppose to be offended?

Isn't lr part Native American? And a white guy is telling him he is suppose to be offended?

Actually I am over 1/2 Native American and when I have to identify myself by race I check the Native American box on the form. I do that because there is no box for "American.". How I wish there were. Again, I am not offended...most of us are not offended, at least in this part of the country. Much of the time it is the politically correct, more liberal white folks (I can call them that, can't I? ;)) who take up causes to force sports teams to change their names.

Again, please look at the history of the Washington Redskins football team (I posted the link earlier) and find out why THIS team being named that is particularly offensive. The team owner was massively racist and the name reflects his racism.

Again, please look at the history of the Washington Redskins football team (I posted the link earlier) and find out why THIS team being named that is particularly offensive. The team owner was massively racist and the name reflects his racism.

That's not the arguement people are making. I'm aware of the teams history. The arguement today about the name isn't about the original owner.

From your op:

It's about the fucking team name. They need to change it. I don't care why they change it - that team has a nasty racist history, and keeping the name "Redskin" just perpetuates it.

It's about the team.

It's about the racism.

Change it.

Back