Washington Redskins Name Offensive?

You ask a question. What are basing your assumption that most native Americans are offended by it? Hence my question. You read the article correct?
First, I said "A lot of Native Americans" not most. Second, yes, I read the article. It's anecdotal evidence and thirdly, common sense is what I'm basing it on. I wouldn't like it if someone marginalized my heritage. I'm funny that way and maybe a bit naïve. I'm proud of my heritage and figure that a lot of people are.

Actually I am over 1/2 Native American and when I have to identify myself by race I check the Native American box on the form. I do that because there is no box for "American.". How I wish there were. Again, I am not offended...most of us are not offended, at least in this part of the country. Much of the time it is the politically correct, more liberal white folks (I can call them that, can't I? ;)) who take up causes to force sports teams to change their names.
True...but again...not the point. It's about respecting others. I know in the grand scheme of things sports teams aren't that important nor are their names. I'm just being honest here. It's completely understandable why some people would find names like these offensive. In the grand scheme of things I'm not about to march in protest or write my Senator or pee myself in anger if Boston renames their club "The Micks" (I'm of Irish heritage) but I would be offended by it and it is racist. So I get why some people are offended by names like "The Redskins".

That's not the arguement people are making. I'm aware of the teams history. The arguement today about the name isn't about the original owner.
I fail to see your point. The fact that a lot of Native Americans have more important things to worry about than the name of a sports team doesn't change the fact that the name is a pejorative, it is racially motivated and it is disrespectful. It's just like you calling me an asshole. It may be true and applicable and I wouldn't really be that offended by it and my feelings would only be mildly hurt...if at all, but it would still be disrespectful, wouldn't it? ;)

I have no skin in this game (no pun intended). I have enough issues of my own that I don't care what happens with the team. I'm not a Washington fan. Change the team's name, I don't care, as long as they don't win. I'm a 49ers fan.

But yes the irony does strike me that native americans don't find the name offensive but certain white people do.

Hey, many people lost theirs lives in 1849 when they came to look for gold. 49ers is offensive. Especially when we have won 5 Super Bowls with our offense. Hahaha, yes I went there. :)

True...but again...not the point. It's about respecting others. I know in the grand scheme of things sports teams aren't that important nor are their names. I'm just being honest here. It's completely understandable why some people would find names like these offensive. In the grand scheme of things I'm not about to march in protest or write my Senator or pee myself in anger if Boston renames their club "The Micks" (I'm of Irish heritage) but I would be offended by it and it is racist. So I get why some people are offended by names like "The Redskins".

It's not the point that a Native American doesn't find it offensive but you do so that's what's important?

I have a hard time caring about what others tell groups of people about when they should be offended.

It's not the point that a Native American doesn't find it offensive but you do so that's what's important?
Because you're extrapolating that to mean that ALL Native American's don't find it offensive. Which is rather obtuse. That's also a strawman. I never said that. I'm saying that I can completely understand why they would find it offensive. Can't you?

Last edited:
I have a hard time caring about what others tell groups of people about when they should be offended.
Well that's a complete Strawman by Wacko. I haven't made that argument at all. All I've stated is "I'd understand why a Native American would find it offensive.". By any objective measure the term is both racist and a pejorative. Those aren't opinions. They are facts.

Because you're extrapolating that to mean that ALL Native American's don't find it offensive. Which is rather obtuse. That's also a strawman. I never said that. I'm saying that I can completely understand why they would find it offensive. Can't you?

I could. It seems your belief is the name should be changed because they could find it offensive not that they do find it offensive.

I could. It seems your belief is the name should be changed because they could find it offensive not that they do find it offensive.
I didn't say it should be changed. I said that I understand why Native Americans would find it offensive. LOL You're trying to find an argument that isn't there. ;)

I didn't say it should be changed. I said that I understand why Native Americans would find it offensive. LOL You're trying to find an argument that isn't there. ;)

I have no dog in this fight. I don't care about their team or what it is called. For the sake of discussion though it sounded to me like you were saying the name should be changed because it could be found offensive. That's where I differ.

I have no dog in this fight. I don't care about their team or what it is called. For the sake of discussion though it sounded to me like you were saying the name should be changed because it could be found offensive. That's where I differ.

But the name is offensive. It's racist.

Also, too, you know how black people can use the n-word but white people can't? Rick Reily (who is a douche, by the way) doesn't really get that.

I think the Washington team should change their name. Given their history and that many find the term offensive, they should change it.

But the name is offensive. It's racist.

Also, too, you know how black people can use the n-word but white people can't? Rick Reily (who is a douche, by the way) doesn't really get that.

1) I don't like Riley and agree that he is a douche. In this particular instance I think he made a good point.

2) If Native Americans find the name offensive I would be a lot more supportive of a name change than white people being offended.

2) If Native Americans find the name offensive I would be a lot more supportive of a name change than white people being offended.

Lots of Native Americans do find it offensive and many have been pushing this boulder up the hill for decades. Rick Reily elected to pretend those folks don't exist. I imagine lots more would find it offensive and Rick Reily would have an easier time locating a few to request their comment if white people didn't kill most of them. It's a lot easier to misapproporate a culture after killing almost all of the people.

Back