Were Confederate soldiers terrorists?

Typical straw man tactic.

:rofl:

That is great. I point out the error of your partisan comment, and you reply with a totally irrelevant post including "Democrat flatlanders were slavers, and the Piedmont and especially mountain folk would have none of it". As if there were some connection between the flatlanders being democrats and they being the only slave owners in NC.

When challenged about this post you try your typical "strawman" technique for avoiding a debate.

The truth is that you presented a ridiculous strawman, and avoided defending your misleading post.

Let me know when you want to debate again. It would be a nice change of pace.

Actually, the truth is that you created a straw man, as you usually do. :)

Not at all. You implied that the piedmont area residents (and especially the mtn folk) did not own slaves because they "would have none of it", and because they were not democrats.

I challenged your assumption.

Now, are you going to continue to avoid the question?

Tell us, are you claiming that the Piedmont area (and especially the moutainous regions) had no slaves solely because they disagreed with the institution???

And are you going to claim that the Piedmont area had no slave owners?

Come on, SM, show off all that knowledge of southern history that you claim I lack.

I'm glad the Southern Democrats lost the war, defeated by Northern Republicans joined with patriotic factions of Southern Republicans fighting subversively.

Then burn your fucking confederate flags and realise they celebrate slavery to every other human being walking the earth.

No reason to defend against straw men.

You are still calling it a strawman? You tried to make a point, and I am challenging it. You offer no proof and no additional information about a wildly inaccurate and partisan post.

Typical.

Let me know when you aren't afraid of a debate.

If the Confederates are traitors, then so are the Founding Fathers. In fact, even more so! The government of Britain created the colonies, but the States created the United States.

If the Confederates are traitors, then so are the Founding Fathers. In fact, even more so! The government of Britain created the colonies, but the States created the United States.

Both were, in fact, traitors. The difference being that one group succeeded and the other failed.

Calling them traitors makes sense. Calling the confederate "terrorists" does not.

Both were, in fact, traitors. The difference being that one group succeeded and the other failed.

Calling them traitors makes sense. Calling the confederate "terrorists" does not.

Neither one makes sense in my opinion, but "terrorist" is absurd. If you merely step back, take off your partisan hat, and look at the details with a completely open mind, you see that it was much more 'traitorous' to rebel against the government body which created you, as opposed to rebellion against an entity you created. Again, the colonies were created by the British government, the states created the United States.

Neither one makes sense in my opinion, but "terrorist" is absurd. If you merely step back, take off your partisan hat, and look at the details with a completely open mind, you see that it was much more 'traitorous' to rebel against the government body which created you, as opposed to rebellion against an entity you created. Again, the colonies were created by the British government, the states created the United States.

They were traitors to their original country. The colonists were traitors to the british crown, and the confederates were traitors to the United States.

Whether they were justified or not does not change that.

Also, this is a good time to point out something for the 'world would be better without religion' crowd... If not for Quaker and Mormon ministers, there would have been virtually no white people in America who supported any kind of 'equality' for black people in 1860.

Then burn your fucking confederate flags and realise they celebrate slavery to every other human being walking the earth.

The Confederate flag only "celebrates" slavery to white supremacy groups, and the profoundly ignorant. "Every other person" realizes it represents history and tradition, and was never designed or intended as a celebration of slavery.

History and tradition are very important things for us to remember. It is how we grow as a people, as a collective society. It is through how we view the past, that we can move ahead in our future. It is our understanding of where we've been, which helps us forge our way ahead. Representing and remembering the correct history, is vital in our need to understand mistakes of the past, so as to not repeat them in the future.

Walter Williams, a black economics professor at George Mason University, argues that black people in America should be 'grateful' for slavery. Because of the fact that white Europeans brought slaves to this continent, you enjoy the freedoms and liberties of America, where you would otherwise be chucking spears in an African jungle somewhere. Aren't African-Americans markedly better off than African-Ethiopians or African-Kenyans? Before you jump on me, I am not saying this, it came from a black economics professor. It illustrates an interesting perspective, and the point is, find a 'positive' in things that happened through history, don't dwell so much on the negatives.

The American Civil War is an important event in our nation's history, and it is also very important to the Civil Rights movement. But we need to remember the war itself was brutal and long. More American boys died fighting under the Confederate flag than almost any war in American history, and none of them ever owned a slave. Much like the boys who died in Vietnam or Iraq, they were just soldiers doing their job. Their personal viewpoints had nothing to do with the reason or purpose of the war itself, those are two entirely different things, and it's important to remember that. I have a problem with 'burning my confederate flag' because I have two relatives buried in Confederate cemeteries, who died fighting in honor for their homes. I know for a fact, they didn't own slaves or even know of people who owned slaves, they weren't much better off than slaves themselves, in fact, probably worse off, because they didn't rely on a plantation master for their food and shelter, they had to fend for themselves. They were mixed race, a combination of peasant Black Dutch, Indian, and Creole. I can't imagine they ever "lived the good life" in the Old South. Yet, they went off to die in war because that is what you did back then, it wasn't a choice, it wasn't about what you believed in, or what you thought about the political issues of the day... just as it is that way today. It is a choice whether to serve today, but back then, it was your duty and obligation.

Erasing our history will never make it go away. You can burn all the Confederate flags and rid society of them completely, will that change the history? Will that make you feel better about the future? How can we move forward if we have no recollection of our past? When you see a Confederate flag, it should remind you of the price this country paid for Civil Rights. 600,000 Americans died, so that our nation could resolve itself to the founding principles that ALL men are created equal. Be grateful we had a Civil War, that the Confederate flag did wave, and we moved ahead to a better society as a result. From my perspective, you undermine the significance of just how important the Civil Rights struggle has been, when you seek to deny history and attempt to have it erased or re-written to suit your political agenda or personal bigotry and bias.

What good are your history and tradition when they involve killing Americans and fighting against the USA?

The USA was divided, that is what "CIVIL WAR" means. They were all Americans, the Union was represented by Northern states, the Confederacy was represented by Southern states, the "United" states, did not exist at that time.

The USA was divided, that is what "CIVIL WAR" means. They were all Americans, the Union was represented by Northern states, the Confederacy was represented by Southern states, the "United" states, did not exist at that time.

I've always felt that "civil war" is a dumb, albeit convenient, term. For it to be a true civil war, both sides would have to have been competing for control over Washington, DC. I'll admit that when many Southerners insist on calling it "The War Between the States," that they have a point. The war was more accurately a rebellion/revolution (revolutions have to be successful in order to be accorded the term in history, though...).

For example, the English Civil War was faught between Puritan and Royalist forces fighting for control of England. It ended with King Charles I executed for "treason" and beheaded, and the Puritans in power in London with Oliver Cromwell set up as the Lord Protector of the new Commonwealth.

Back