What is philosophy? Philosophy is an applied science.

Plato's Socrates said philosophy is the only true science. This was made in comparison to architecture, engineering, and art.

That is obviously a bad English translation of the archaic Greek. Neither the Greeks nor anyone else had a word for science prior to the modern era.

I cannot read archaic Greek to know what Plato intended in the original language, but the pre-Socratic philosophers were doing a kind of natural philosophy, akin to what we would call science today. Aristotle was doing natural philosophy too.

That is obviously a bad English translation of the archaic Greek. Neither the Greeks nor anyone else had a word for science prior to the modern era.

I cannot read archaic Greek to know what Plato intended in the original language, but the pre-Socratic philosophers were doing a kind of natural philosophy, akin to what we would call science today. Aristotle was doing natural philosophy too.

I don't remember where Plato talked about science, but the Greek would be episteme. Modern Germans sometimes use the word for science.

Plato wrote in Attic Greek, not Archaic Greek.

I don't remember where Plato talked about science, but the Greek would be episteme. Modern Germans sometimes use the word for science.

I think the Greek root epistme is most accurately translated as "knowlege". I would have to check on it.

Philosophy itself directly comes from the Greek word philosophia, which simply means love of wisdom.

The translation of Plato used the words 'true science'. Plato's disdain for architecture and engineering gave me a negative view of Plato until I got to The Apology. Confronting human nature is an art in itself. Betrayal became the utmost of sins with an honest look at human behavior. A dialogue written some 2400 years ago.

The translation of Plato used the words 'true science'. Plato's disdain for architecture and engineering gave me a negative view of Plato until I got to The Apology. Confronting human nature is an art in itself. Betrayal became the utmost of sins with an honest look at human behavior. A dialogue written some 2400 years ago.

Where did Plato talk about "true science?"

Where did Plato talk about "true science?"
The Republic, I can't remember which chapter. Plato shows why man-made laws should come from reason instead of religion. Plato believes reason is the only/best science. It starts to make sense once you understand precognition, the ability to do the calculations in your mind to make an educated guess. Plato didn't realize that engineers and architects also see things in their mind before they build it.

"Science" is derived from a Latin word, and has only been used since the 18th century to represent the kind of experimental inductive logic Francis Bacon advocated at the dawn of the scientific age.

Plato did not speak Latin and did not use the word science.

It is obviously an artifact of bad translation, and the only reason I nitpick it is because my cousin is a professional interpreter and translator.

The Greeks were not doing experimental science.

Plato would written in lexicon appropriate for ancient Greece, aka philosophia and episteme, or other Greek analogs for knowlege and natural philosophy.

Aristotle was. Parts of Animals clearly documents dissecting animals.

That's true. He was doing a kind of investigation of the natural world that Plato had no interest in.

But also a lot of Aristotle's speculations about the natural world was based on deductive reasoning, rather than experimental induction.

That is how Galileo disproved Aristotelian physics -- Galileo actually did experiments proving the mechanics of Aristotle wrong

Love of wisdom

I love that

To me philosophy is a search for truth and reality

You apply all known facts and then look for the impact on humans of our current knowledge and try to understand and convey that impact on what’s best for mankind and the physical world that is our home

It requires a love of mankind and knowledge applied to create a more perfect world

That's true. He was doing a kind of investigation of the natural world that Plato had no interest in.

But also a lot of Aristotle's speculations about the natural world was based on deductive reasoning, rather than experimental induction.

That is how Galileo disproved Aristotelian physics -- Galileo actually did experiments proving the mechanics of Aristotle wrong

Aristotle did not consider math to be the proper method of describing nature.

Artists were known to dissect animals and even corpses

So they could represent what they truely look like with that knowledge

Knowing where bone and muscles actually were and how they connected

Even the thickness of skin could help them represent the human form more accurately

Love of wisdom

I love that

To me philosophy is a search for truth and reality

You apply all known facts and then look for the impact on humans of our current knowledge and try to understand and convey that impact on what’s best for mankind and the physical world that is our home

It requires a love of mankind and knowledge applied to create a more perfect world

If I had to choose an ancient language to learn, it would be Greek not Latin.

The heritage of western civilization goes back to Greek -- religion, literature, philosophy.

I have always appreciated that you are a philosophically-thinking person

I trust for the most part the scholars who came after to be honest in their attempts to pass it down to us

But like any other human endeavor read as many human takes as one can to more clearly suss it out

Love of knowledge

Back