What is philosophy? Philosophy is an applied science.

Why do you view aesthetics as so central to philosophy?

MILLGRAM: Leverage. Aesthetics has been ghettoized. If you look back a couple hundred years, if you look at people who are strong all-around philosophers, they knew they had to have views in aesthetics because they would need those views for something else. Kant had to have views in aesthetics to make sure he’d gotten the first Critique right. Schopenhauer had to have views in aesthetics. Nietzche had to have views in aesthetics. Hume had to have views in aesthetics.

https://conversationswithtyler.com/episodes/elijah-millgram/

Aristotle did not consider math to be the proper method of describing nature.
Right, he did not share Plato's reverence for mathematics and geometry.

I think the natural philosophy Aristotle was doing was mostly just observation and deductive speculation.

That is why the physics of Aristotle crumbled into irrelevance almost immediately when the experimental science of Galileo was brought to bear in the investigation of mechanics and motion.

Right, he did not share Plato's reverence for mathematics and geometry.

I think the natural philosophy Aristotle was doing was mostly just observation and deductive speculation.

That is why the physics of Aristotle crumbled into irrelevance almost immediately when the experimental science of Galileo was brought to bear in the investigation of mechanics and motion.

Aristotle did empirical biology. Galileo's physics were all math based. That is the difference from Aristotle.

"Science" is derived from a Latin word, and has only been used since the 18th century to represent the kind of experimental inductive logic Francis Bacon advocated at the dawn of the scientific age.

Plato did not speak Latin and did not use the word science.

It is obviously an artifact of bad translation, and the only reason I nitpick it is because my cousin is a professional interpreter and translator.

The Greeks were not doing experimental science.

Plato would written in lexicon appropriate for ancient Greece, aka philosophia and episteme, or other Greek analogs for knowlege and natural philosophy.
Where would we be without english translations? Plato saw reason as a science in the english version of Republic. He somewhat proves it in Apology where he takes a deep dive into human behavior.

The Greeks were pretty good at mathematics and engineering hundreds of years before Plato. My thread on hunter-gatherers shows that humans were engineering more than 12,000 years ago. They didn't call it science even though there's evidence of astronomy.

Back