What to read this Election Season

midcan5

If you read just one book read 'Deer Hunting with Jesus' by Joe Bageant, doesn't matter if you are left right republican democrat or independent, the story its tells is both funny and sad but real. Working class America has its chronicler.

'The Big Con' by Jonathan Chait explores the economics of the time. How many remember when American corporations represented American people and not the market and consequently only the rich. Probably few today as now the working class worships the very system that has made them slaves of insecurity and low wages. 'You know they know better that's why they're CEO etc.' Anyone ever notice or wonder why so many business execs end up in jail - and probably many more deserve to be there. Making big money or large profits isn't always a good thing for American society.

In 'America Since 1980,' Dean Baker examines the changes in America since the Reagan revolution. He examines how policies have contributed to the top 5 percent while the working classes have sunk farther behind. Reading it along side Bageant's book is an experience. Dean outlines the causes, Joe shows the effects.

As the conservative media and Fox spin the news to favor the abandonment of the bill of rights Noami wolf reviews the steps necessary in 'The End of America.' The steps she reviews are all too obvious in the Bush administration, and though Bush is a failure even in the minds of the conservatives, the people he has placed in our judicial system are hardly concerned with justice. Ideologues are scary people, you would think we had learned that.

Read Joe's book and if you want a real challenge to your worldview, check out Derrick Jensen's 'The Culture of Make Believe.' Enjoy the summer.

That's the problem dude, the last thing most people want is a challenge to their world view, regardless of how truthful that view may be.

The best challenge to my world did great things. I think everyone should read Path of the Peaceful Warrior.

Dan Millman (I think)

He wrote a couple of sequels, but the first was by far the best.

good stuff for the open minded

http://www.joebageant.com/joe/2008/07/southern-libera.html#more

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Deer-Hunting-Jesus-Dispatches-Americas/dp/0307339378/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216650576&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Deer Hunting with Jesus: Dispatches from America's Class War: Joe Bageant: Books[/ame]

http://www.cepr.net/index.php/op-ed...ince-1980-a-right-turn-leading-to-a-dead-end/

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/United-States-since-World-Since/dp/0521677556/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216650491&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: The United States since 1980 (The World Since 1980): Dean Baker: Books[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Conservative-Nanny-State-Wealthy-Government/dp/1411693957/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216650491&sr=1-2"]Amazon.com: The Conservative Nanny State: How the Wealthy Use the Government to Stay Rich and Get Richer: Dean Baker: Books[/ame]

http://www.conservativenannystate.org/

For the open minded huh? Hmmm, all liberal books. So by open minded you mean those books which valadate your views?

hmm, so we are to read bad stuff so we can do what exactly? Read Deer hunting...hardly liberal, just down to earth honest.

"Now watch what you say
Or they´ll be calling you a radical
A liberal, oh fanatical, criminal
Oh won´t you sign up your name
We´d like to feel you´re
Acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!"

hmm, so we are to read bad stuff so we can do what exactly? Read Deer hunting...hardly liberal, just down to earth honest.

"Now watch what you say
Or they´ll be calling you a radical
A liberal, oh fanatical, criminal
Oh won´t you sign up your name
We´d like to feel you´re
Acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!"

I don't get your first sentence. Your list is strictly from a partisan perspective. There is nothing there that represents the middle or the right. That's not open minded.

I don't get your first sentence. Your list is strictly from a partisan perspective. There is nothing there that represents the middle or the right. That's not open minded.

Let me say this again so maybe even you will understand. Reading right wing nonsense is not being open minded it is being just plain stupid. Reading Bageant, Baker, Jensen is open minded reading. I already know what your wingnut media will say, is there any need to be tortured for a longer period of time? I know that sounds intolerant and it is, as stupidity has caused so much trouble these last years that calling garbage anything other than garbage would be a lie. See how open minded I am. :)

Let me say this again so maybe even you will understand. Reading right wing nonsense is not being open minded it is being just plain stupid. Reading Bageant, Baker, Jensen is open minded reading. I already know what your wingnut media will say, is there any need to be tortured for a longer period of time? I know that sounds intolerant and it is, as stupidity has caused so much trouble these last years that calling garbage anything other than garbage would be a lie. See how open minded I am. :)
Reading multiple viewpoints is open-minded. Reading only left-wing books that you agree with is not.

Reading multiple viewpoints is open-minded. Reading only left-wing books that you agree with is not.

So I have to read Coulter, Savage, and Hannity because they will teach me what exactly? Sorry bad stuff is bad stuff. You can dress a pig up but it's still a pig.

So I have to read Coulter, Savage, and Hannity because they will teach me what exactly? Sorry bad stuff is bad stuff. You can dress a pig up but it's still a pig.

I don't read Coulter, Savage or Hannity. There are plenty of books by those on the right that while you may not agree with they at least challenge your thinking. However getting out of one's comfort zone is not for everyone.

I don't read Coulter, Savage or Hannity. There are plenty of books by those on the right that while you may not agree with they at least challenge your thinking. However getting out of one's comfort zone is not for everyone.

Name some, I may have read them.

Name some right wing books you thought were a good read and you might convince me you are open-minded.

Why? didn't I say I was open minded! I asked Cawacko first, I bet he has read nothing serious. So while I have read lots I'm not showing my cards just yet. Maybe he'll need to ask mommy! Also conservatives tend to go back in time and rewrite history in their own image. waiting.......

Back