What to read this Election Season

Why? didn't I say I was open minded! I asked Cawacko first, I bet he has read nothing serious. So while I have read lots I'm not showing my cards just yet. Maybe he'll need to ask mommy! Also conservatives tend to go back in time and rewrite history in their own image. waiting.......
You said you were open-minded. I pointed out to you that your list does not indicate any such identifier to be accurate. You then crowed about the amount of right-wing books you read. So, I'd like to know which of them there are that you have read before you get hints from Caw. I think you want a list because you don't even know any titles that come from that direction. You get your reading list from the ads on uber-lefty-blogspot.onlyleftblogs.leftmovement.org.

;)

The funniest part is how oblivious to it he is.

"Look at my open-minded list of books that all fall within my conventional core beliefs and assumptions. Everyone should be this open-minded."

Why? didn't I say I was open minded! I asked Cawacko first, I bet he has read nothing serious. So while I have read lots I'm not showing my cards just yet. Maybe he'll need to ask mommy! Also conservatives tend to go back in time and rewrite history in their own image. waiting.......

Well, I had trouble reaching my mommy so I apologize for taking so long to get back to you.

A couple of my favorite books with a right leaning or libertarian bent:

Capitalism and Freedom and Free to Choose by Milton Friedman

Wealth and Poverty by George Gilder

Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal by Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged is my favorite book)

John McWhorter: Authentically Black: Essays for the Black Silent Majority

Midcan is good at doing that Top. Think, "Libertarianism in a Nutshell."

Any books published through ISI Books are usually good reads, btw, and I would encourage Midcan to visit isi.org and check out the archives for Modern Age, which I subscribe to... Occasionally an article sucks, like one in the current issue, but other than that...

Well, I had trouble reaching my mommy so I apologize for taking so long to get back to you.

If your mommy was as old as my mommy you probably wouldn't be a libertarian. The GD had too great an impact on their lives.

Interesting. I've read them all, well sorta, McWhorter writes in the New Republic which I subscribe to. Gilder is one source of the supply side fantasy that has hurt this country these past twenty (30) years. Jonathan Chait talks about his influence in the book I mention above. Friedman started more liberal and while I think the freedom of markets was a great idea, the great depression and the abject poverty of the last century show its weaknesses. Capitalism failed thus fascism and communism and thus the modern mixed economy. I cannot read Rand, I tired, I actually wrote a parable about your favorite book which I simply could not get into. You missed the key conservative writer, Russell Kirk. Now read some more balanced writers aka liberal thinkers and you will leave these weaklings behind. Read Jensen's book.

atlas panted LOL

http://www.usmessageboard.com/writing/50820-atlas-panted.html

Interesting no replies from the conservatives, I know they don't read or they wouldn't be conservatives but! Anyway I have always marveled at what racists conservatives are, heard it so often, even the so called religious conservatives like Billy Graham. LBJ lost the south and it is still a hard go. Look what they did to John McSame in 2000. So this article was interesting from the conservative POV. I agree with Bill here but only so far as I am old enough to have seen racism firsthand in all businesses. It's a nice sentiment.

"Blacks' problems are best handled by the myriad decisions reached in a million situations every day.... The employer who surveys the application forms of a half-dozen candidates for an opening and quietly gives the advantage to the black candidate is, in my opinion, doing the right thing. But what he did could not stand the test of universalization. You could not take that discreet preferment and write legislation about it." William Buckley

http://www.claremont.org/publications/crb/id.1543/article_detail.asp

"Blacks' problems are best handled by the myriad decisions reached in a million situations every day.... The employer who surveys the application forms of a half-dozen candidates for an opening and quietly gives the advantage to the black candidate is, in my opinion, doing the right thing. But what he did could not stand the test of universalization. You could not take that discreet preferment and write legislation about it." William Buckley

Um is the above supposed to be outrageous to you?

Seems Buckley is using pretty common sense.

hmm, so we are to read bad stuff so we can do what exactly? Read Deer hunting...hardly liberal, just down to earth honest.

"Now watch what you say
Or they´ll be calling you a radical
A liberal, oh fanatical, criminal
Oh won´t you sign up your name
We´d like to feel you´re
Acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!"

Wow, that used to be my signature years ago when I first started posting on my old board. Love those lyrics.

Interesting no replies from the conservatives, I know they don't read or they wouldn't be conservatives but! Anyway I have always marveled at what racists conservatives are, heard it so often, even the so called religious conservatives like Billy Graham. LBJ lost the south and it is still a hard go. Look what they did to John McSame in 2000. So this article was interesting from the conservative POV. I agree with Bill here but only so far as I am old enough to have seen racism firsthand in all businesses. It's a nice sentiment.

Cawacko sneaks into bookstores and reads a few paragraphs out of Michael Moore books from time to time. That’s the extent of the “open-minded one’s” reading of differing ideas.

We used to post with this guy who had a ph.d in black studies, and he and cawacko would go at it all the time. Same story as on this thread. Cawacko would start challenging him to read Thomas Sowell, which of course, this guy already had, so he would come back and rip Sowell’s argument apart, and then tell Cawacko, now, you read this guy, and this guy, and then we will have this conversation again. Dead silence from the open-minded conservative here. Never heard another word about it.

We used to post with this guy who had a ph.d in black studies, and he and cawacko would go at it all the time. Same story as on this thread. Cawacko would start challenging him to read Thomas Sowell, which of course, this guy already had, so he would come back and rip Sowell’s argument apart, and then tell Cawacko, now, you read this guy, and this guy, and then we will have this conversation again. Dead silence from the open-minded conservative here. Never heard another word about it.

Ah, I see, thanks I thought maybe he went into hibernation.

First of all I never claimed to be the open-minded one on this thread. I didn't say be 'open-minded' and then say everyone should read five conservative books, that's midcam (liberal books in his/her case).

Most recently I've read Audacity of Hope and America between the Wars whose authors were two foreign policy people on Clinton's staff.

I don't have time or the desire to read old school stuff Prak was suggesting. And you cannot get much more opposite in believes than Prak or Thomas Sowell so big surprise Prak disagreed with his arguements.

First of all I never claimed to be the open-minded one on this thread. I didn't say be 'open-minded' and then say everyone should read five conservative books, that's midcam (liberal books in his/her case).

Most recently I've read Audacity of Hope and America between the Wars whose authors were two foreign policy people on Clinton's staff.

I don't have time or the desire to read old school stuff Prak was suggesting. And you cannot get much more opposite in believes than Prak or Thomas Sowell so big surprise Prak disagreed with his arguements.

You are on here acting like you are the big open minded one, when you are anything but. And what is that “old school stuff” deflection crap? Please. You wanted to pass off Thomas Sowell as THE black voice, that has always been your stcick. I asked Prak several times to come here and pound your ass a few more times, but he said he has had enough of Cawacko to last a lifetime!

I did tell him that you were much better looking than I had imagined. That annoyed him.

You are on here acting like you are the big open minded one, when you are anything but. And what is that “old school stuff” deflection crap? Please. You wanted to pass off Thomas Sowell as THE black voice, that has always been your stcick. I asked Prak several times to come here and pound your ass a few more times, but he said he has had enough of Cawacko to last a lifetime!

I did tell him that you were much better looking than I had imagined. That annoyed him.

With all due respect as one from San Francisco I'm a little sensitive when you ask another man to come 'pound my ass'.

Prak was telling me about books he had read from the turn of the century describing the black experience in America. I'm not questioning that they were excellent books just stating that they were of an older time period.

Back