What was the first major religion in the world?

So you're defining what religion is?

No, I'm saying the term animism isn't used to reference a particular religion, it is used to describe a number of religious beliefs that fall under it's tenant.

There is no religion and never has been that's been called animism.

It's similar to saying Christianity is a religion, it's not, it's a descriptive term.

No, I'm saying the term animism isn't used to reference a particular religion, it is used to describe a number of religious beliefs that fall under it's tenant.

There is no religion and never has been that's been called animism.

It's similar to saying Christianity is a religion, it's not, it's a descriptive term.

But all Christianity is is a way for the Romans to roll their pagan beliefs into a "religion."

But all Christianity is is a way for the Romans to roll their pagan beliefs into a "religion."

Possibly so but it still isn't a religion unto itself.

It denotes a belief in Christ as the Messiah, not a religion so if a religion has that belief then it is considered Christian.

Possibly so but it still isn't a religion unto itself.

It denotes a belief in Christ as the Messiah, not a religion so if a religion has that belief then it is considered Christian.

This is gobbledygook. You're trying to claim it is and isn't a major religion at the same time.

Ok, how would anyone else know? What did we believe 100,000 years ago? You don't know, neither does anyone else.

I asked what the first major religion was, not what they believed since the dawn of man.

What was the first one we know about, it's not really that difficult of a question.

I asked what the first major religion was, not what they believed since the dawn of man.

What was the first one we know about, it's not really that difficult of a question.

if I recall correctly there are five existing religions which when combined represent 97% of the people who consider themselves religious (there are older religions but today have only a remnant of believers so I would not consider them "major")......Hindu, Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity and Islam......I have listed them in the order which they began......though Buddhism and Judaism are problematic......both became significant in the fifth century BC but both identify roots which began much earlier.....but Buddhism definitely developed from Hinduism and Christianity and Islam definitely developed from Judaism.....

religions which used to be major but currently have few followers.....Zoroastrian, Janist, Confucianism, Aztec, Taoist, Shintoist.....

Last edited:
200w.webp
200w.webp
200.webp

You weren't asking the right questions.
Nope. The person with the question determines what the right question is.

Mankind tends to settle at sea level.
Nope. Primitive man tended to settle by the waterside (ocean, river banks, lakeside, etc) at whatever elevation the water happened to be.

What was sea level 10,000 years ago? Or 50,000 years ago? Or 100,000 years ago?
Probably exactly as it is now. There is no rational basis for any belief otherwise.

58feb77a98645e78338f5e3a017cb0d3.jpg

Back