why are the costs of food and energy excluded from the inflation rate

Don Quixote

cancer survivor
Contributor
i have wondered about this one and with us facing spiraling inflation and possible stagflation begun to wonder more and more

it seems that i am becoming a prophet of doom or at least near future bad times

this does not please me as i am already taking anti-depressents

maybe we will get a change in administration soon enough to prevent the coming bad times from getting too bad, but i fear that this will not be

does anyone out there see a ray of sunshine or at least a silver lining

we may want change, but is change feasible or even possible given the inertia of our system

anybody but mccain or nader

Well, you would perhaps be better served knowing that our joke of a currency system (fiat currency) is the source of the trouble, and that it has bipartisan MIC support.

food and energy are left out so the Bush fools stay fooled.
It might also save govt and business money on cost of living increases.

It is because they are considered a cause of inflation.

Basically it would be like 5+2 = 7 but then you ask why only 7 why don't you add in the two?

It is because they are considered a cause of inflation.

Basically it would be like 5+2 = 7 but then you ask why only 7 why don't you add in the two?

But they are a reflection of inflation as well like everything else. It's basically so the MIC can make things not look so bad as they destroy everything around them with their totalitarian and insane currency system.

But they are a reflection of inflation as well like everything else. It's basically so the MIC can make things not look so bad as they destroy everything around them with their totalitarian and insane currency system.
Again, they are part of the original equation.

When the trucker pays for gas it adds to the cost of the item you purchase.

Adding it in again gives it more value than it has.

5+2 = 7, not 7 and remember the two...

Again, they are part of the original equation.

When the trucker pays for gas it adds to the cost of the item you purchase.

Adding it in again gives it more value than it has.

5+2 = 7, not 7 and remember the two...

no. IT accurately reflects it's role in our lives. It's priced into our items, and we buy it directly.

WoW, you guys are going to make him more depressed.
Without food and energy it's called the core inflation rate and regarded as more indicative of the real underlying inflation. They are taken out because they are way more volitile and distort the picture. Just that these uniformed tools trying to scare you don't mention when they are way down, which all commodities do.
Our college educated brainiacs will get us out of this. Not only is this not a depression, it's going to be a mild recession if one at all.
Sorry to hear about the anti's- I think you said earlier your wife was sick or you we're that would do it. When my company merged about 7yrs ago I was realling a bit myself.
Soak up some Cali sunshine and exercise!!!

no. IT accurately reflects it's role in our lives. It's priced into our items, and we buy it directly.
Yeah, I think they should separate the two.

Retail value to Wholesale cost. Then factor out the wholesale cost (the part that is a portion of what we pay for items on the shelves) and factor in the retail cost (the part that we pay directly for).

Yeah, I think they should separate the two.

Retail value to Wholesale cost. Then factor out the wholesale cost (the part that is a portion of what we pay for items on the shelves) and factor in the retail cost (the part that we pay directly for).

THey both should be in.

Yeah were pretty much screwed for awhile.

I dont know if it will ever really be the same.

The world is changing and too.

Look for a new normal.

WoW, you guys are going to make him more depressed.
Without food and energy it's called the core inflation rate and regarded as more indicative of the real underlying inflation. They are taken out because they are way more volitile and distort the picture. Just that these uniformed tools trying to scare you don't mention when they are way down, which all commodities do.
Our college educated brainiacs will get us out of this. Not only is this not a depression, it's going to be a mild recession if one at all.
Sorry to hear about the anti's- I think you said earlier your wife was sick or you we're that would do it. When my company merged about 7yrs ago I was realling a bit myself.
Soak up some Cali sunshine and exercise!!!

Holy shit, topper is right for once (well, on the bolded part at least)!

In that way they both would be, with the proper amount of stress on each. The reality is, when doing an equation you do not add back in a value at the end just because you want to stress it.

so 'factor out the wholesale cost' means leaving it in? OR you just mean to itemize it separately?

dungshit,
freak obfuscate and cawack are the only ones at my level of knowledge grasshopper.

The volitility with will swings up and down are why they are kept out. They are infact in the CPI which is referred to as the headline number.

so 'factor out the wholesale cost' means leaving it in? OR you just mean to itemize it separately?
It is a portion of the prices you are paying for the item on the shelf, adding it back in doubles it for no reason other than you want it that way because panic is what you sell. If you can make it seem worse than it is, then it makes your points "stronger".

It would be like factoring in your personal energy cost then also the energy cost already factored into the price of something you purchase, even though that is part of how the price of the item is figured. It is a portion of the price you pay as it repays for the energy it cost to manufacture it while giving a profit to the maker.

The gas would be the same, it is factored in as a portion of the price of the item.

dungshit,
freak obfuscate and cawack are the only ones at my level of knowledge grasshopper.

The volitility with will swings up and down are why they are kept out. They are infact in the CPI which is referred to as the headline number.

I’m very fond of Cawacko, and he has a great body from what I hear, but he doesn’t know shit from shineola. SF might know some stuff, but he’s a partisan so you can’t always trust what he says. Obfuscate doesn’t post enough to be able to tell, and when he does post, he always starts out by informing us if his own greatness. “I’m the only one on this thread who didn’t have to google” is my personal fav.

dungshit,

Yeah, top, I'm familiar with the terms. I was just surprised you actually knew what you were talking about for once. That is all.

Back