why are the costs of food and energy excluded from the inflation rate

Dhula, the are mostly righties true.
And they are way off on social issues.
Freak and Obfuscate have economics degrees and cawacko is in professional finance mngt of some sort. They are experts, you know what's on sale at Ann Taylor and how to correct executive's spelling. Like Desh you are both sweethart's with the best intentions but you jump in factless into shark infested waters almost daily.

Yeah, top, I'm familiar with the terms. I was just surprised you actually knew what you were talking about for once. That is all.

Maybe he stopped having sex like George from Seinfeld. If he starts writing in Portuguese, or even, correct English, we’ll know for sure.

Dhula, the are mostly righties true.
And they are way off on social issues.
Freak and Obfuscate have economics degrees and cawacko is in professional finance mngt of some sort. They are experts, you know what's on sale at Ann Taylor and how to correct executive's spelling. Like Desh you are both sweethart's with the best intentions but you jump in factless into shark infested waters almost daily.

Cawacko is a real estate salesman Top. I’ve known him for years. He wouldn’t hurt a fly, and I’d get drunk with him any day, but he doesn’t know SHIT FROM SHINEOLA. Trust me.

And what I know that you don't could fill two of these boards.

Dung, your a programmer right.
Please point out some economics or business that I didn't know what I was talking about.
Wow, dhula your ruin a good thread with your usual junior high name calling. I'm not shocked.
Yes, I go way overbaord on no guns, too many murders, legalize pot, cut military spending to the point where none of it would pass.
on business and economics I'm not sure your in years of being expert dung.

It is a portion of the prices you are paying for the item on the shelf, adding it back in doubles it for no reason other than you want it that way because panic is what you sell. If you can make it seem worse than it is, then it makes your points "stronger".

It would be like factoring in your personal energy cost then also the energy cost already factored into the price of something you purchase, even though that is part of how the price of the item is figured. It is a portion of the price you pay as it repays for the energy it cost to manufacture it while giving a profit to the maker.

The gas would be the same, it is factored in as a portion of the price of the item.

No. That's what it costs us. We pay it in multiple places. You seek to obfuscate the havoc wrought by our system.

Please point out some economics or business that I didn't know what I was talking about.
Wow, dhula your ruin a good thread with your usual junior high name calling. I'm not shocked.
Yes, I go way overbaord on no guns, too many murders, legalize pot, cut military spending to the point where none of it would pass.

Negative on being a programmer. I'm a polymath.

No. That's what it costs us. We pay it in multiple places. You seek to obfuscate the havoc wrought by our system.
Rubbish. In order to get the item to the shelf several things are added in.

The cost of the materials to make it, the cost of the labor to make it, the cost of the energy to make it, the cost of the gasoline to deliver it, the pay for the man delivering it, the pay for the dude who puts it on the shelf, the cost of the energy at the store... All these things are already part of the price of the item you purchase, even to the point of the cost of items that are stolen.

To say that the gasoline should be factored in several times just so you can pretend doesn't change that the price has already been factored into the item's cost.

While I can see the urge to add in the retail cost of gasoline, it would be an unrealistic measure if we added in the cost of gasoline at several levels to increase the factor fictitiously.

We don't factor in the labor on top of the cost of the item again, because it is part of the price of the item. We don't factor in the cost of the gasoline to deliver it, because it is part of the price of the item.

But why is the cost of food excluded?

The answer, my friend, is upthread. Food and energy are excluded from the core rate but not the headline rate. They are excluded from the core rate because they are highly volatile and subject to big swings that may not be truly reflective of across the board inflation but rather issues specific to the food and energy markets. The headline rate factors in both food and energy.

Here:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/inflation/2007-06-13-inflation-usat_N.htm

The answer, my friend, is upthread. Food and energy are excluded from the core rate but not the headline rate. They are excluded from the core rate because they are highly volatile and subject to big swings that may not be truly reflective of across the board inflation but rather issues specific to the food and energy markets. The headline rate factors in both food and energy.

Here:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/inflation/2007-06-13-inflation-usat_N.htm
He wants it included in both so that he can freak out more people with the numbers by cherrypicking the high spots.

So what are we disagreeing about? You believe it should be factored in both.
You want it factored on both ends so you can stress it without regard to accuracy. Hence, I said we could do it, if we did it this way.

Then you pretend that it should be factored in again and again.

Huh, I’m not calling anyone names. You’re not the sole arbitrator of intelligence on this board, or anywhere else Top. And I wouldn’t even call it intelligence. Rather, of knowledge is what I should say. I’m not insulting anyone.

You want it factored on both ends so you can stress it without regard to accuracy. Hence, I said we could do it, if we did it this way.

Then you pretend that it should be factored in again and again.

You suggested a way of factoring it in both ways. I guess you suffer from the same delusion as me.

You suggested a way of factoring it in both ways. I guess you suffer from the same delusion as me.
I said it could be done accurately if we did it this way.

However, the more silly you get about it the less I think it should.

It is already factored into the core value, no need to continue to refactor it just to make excitable nutjobs upset because it isn't factored in repeatedly without merit or any base in accuracy.

I said it could be done accurately if we did it this way.
SO you agree with "factoring it in twice".

However, the more silly you get about it the less I think it should.

It is already factored into the core value, no need to continue to refactor it just to make excitable nutjobs upset because it isn't factored in repeatedly without merit or any base in accuracy.

SO now you've changed your mind? You're all over the map. What's up with you?

Yeah Damo the fact that the cost of heating my home has doubled is not inflation at all is it.

I think some of us look at this as corproate inflation vs personal inflation.

All three inflation numbers are great for there own purpose.
PPI, CPI, and core cpi.
A little knowledge is dangerous and you tools are deadly.

Back