Why did our founding fathers hate corporations?

Bfgrn

When American colonists declared independence from England in 1776, they also freed themselves from control by English corporations that extracted their wealth and dominated trade. After fighting a revolution to end this exploitation, our country's founders retained a healthy fear of corporate power and wisely limited corporations exclusively to a business role. Corporations were forbidden from attempting to influence elections, public policy, and other realms of civic society.

A word that appears nowhere in the Constitution is "corporation," for the writers had no interest in using for-profit corporations to run their new government. In colonial times, corporations were tools of the king's oppression, chartered for the purpose of exploiting the so-called "New World" and shoveling wealth back into Europe. The rich formed joint-stock corporations to distribute the enormous risk of colonizing the Americas and gave them names like the Hudson Bay Company, the British East India Company, and the Massachusetts Bay Colony. Because they were so far from their sovereign - the king - the agents for these corporations had a lot of autonomy to do their work; they could pass laws, levy taxes, and even raise armies to manage and control property and commerce. They were not popular with the colonists.

So the Constitution's authors left control of corporations to state legislatures (10th Amendment), where they would get the closest supervision by the people. Early corporate charters were explicit about what a corporation could do, how, for how long, with whom, where, and when.

1) Corporations could not own stock in other corporations, and they were prohibited from any part of the political process.

2) Individual stockholders were held personally liable for any harms done in the name of the corporation, and most charters only lasted for 10 or 15 years.

3) But most importantly, in order to receive the profit-making privileges the shareholders sought, their corporations had to represent a clear benefit for the public good, such a building a road, canal, or bridge.

4) And when corporations violated any of these terms, their charters were frequently revoked by the state legislatures.

Corporate Personhood-Demeaning Our Bill of Rights - Reclaim Democracy.org

Thomas Jefferson Feared an Aristocracy of Corporations

"For the general operations of manufacturer, let our workshops remain in Europe. It is better to carry provisions and materials to workmen there, than bring them to the provisions and materials, and with them their manners and principles. The loss by the transportation of commodities across the Atlantic will be made up in happiness and permanence of government. The mobs of great cities add just so much to the support of pure government, as sores do to the strength of the human body. It is the manner and spirit of a people which preserve a public vigor. A degeneracy in these is a canker which soon eats to the heart of its laws and constitution.
Thomas Jefferson

god, what do you do for a living. Are you a teacher, you have a liberal arts education right?

Hey sonny boy, I don't brag about how much money I made, but it is a lot. It is irrelevant. State your case based on intelligence and let it stand or fall on merit.

Hey Teach, bet your students fail as often as you do.

WOW, I take being considered a teacher as a compliment. But I was a heavy equipment salesman, mostly for Caterpillar, who had many 6 figure years, especially when I was paid on 100% commission with a draw.

Thanks for posting this. You didn't expect it to be well received did you?

Of course not...it will never sink in with the savants who worship at the alter of crony capitalism, corporate welfare and subsidies and regulatory capture who believe THAT is a 'free market'

When American colonists declared independence from England in 1776, they also freed themselves from control by English corporations that extracted their wealth and dominated trade. After fighting a revolution to end this exploitation, our country's founders retained a healthy fear of corporate power and wisely limited corporations exclusively to a business role. Corporations were forbidden from attempting to influence elections, public policy, and other realms of civic society.

A word that appears nowhere in the Constitution is "corporation," for the writers had no interest in using for-profit corporations to run their new government. In colonial times, corporations were tools of the king's oppression, chartered for the purpose of exploiting the so-called "New World" and shoveling wealth back into Europe. The rich formed joint-stock corporations to distribute the enormous risk of colonizing the Americas and gave them names like the Hudson Bay Company, the British East India Company, and the Massachusetts Bay Colony. Because they were so far from their sovereign - the king - the agents for these corporations had a lot of autonomy to do their work; they could pass laws, levy taxes, and even raise armies to manage and control property and commerce. They were not popular with the colonists.

So the Constitution's authors left control of corporations to state legislatures (10th Amendment), where they would get the closest supervision by the people. Early corporate charters were explicit about what a corporation could do, how, for how long, with whom, where, and when.

1) Corporations could not own stock in other corporations, and they were prohibited from any part of the political process.

2) Individual stockholders were held personally liable for any harms done in the name of the corporation, and most charters only lasted for 10 or 15 years.

3) But most importantly, in order to receive the profit-making privileges the shareholders sought, their corporations had to represent a clear benefit for the public good, such a building a road, canal, or bridge.

4) And when corporations violated any of these terms, their charters were frequently revoked by the state legislatures.

Corporate Personhood-Demeaning Our Bill of Rights - Reclaim Democracy.org

Thomas Jefferson Feared an Aristocracy of Corporations

"For the general operations of manufacturer, let our workshops remain in Europe. It is better to carry provisions and materials to workmen there, than bring them to the provisions and materials, and with them their manners and principles. The loss by the transportation of commodities across the Atlantic will be made up in happiness and permanence of government. The mobs of great cities add just so much to the support of pure government, as sores do to the strength of the human body. It is the manner and spirit of a people which preserve a public vigor. A degeneracy in these is a canker which soon eats to the heart of its laws and constitution.
Thomas Jefferson

Only haters hate. The Founders had the same view of corporations as I do:

I'll say it again, DY's solution to campaign finance:

1. Lower the corporate tax rate to zero.
2. Allow only taxpayers who are registered voters to contribute up to a set amount, indexed to inflation.
3. No minimum contribution for reporting purposes.

Of course not...it will never sink in with the savants who worship at the alter of crony capitalism, corporate welfare and subsidies and regulatory capture who believe THAT is a 'free market'

salesman that is anti capitalism, shocked that you are dissenchanted. LOFL:whoa:

Oh a salesman, LOFL
I do own some caterpiller stock!

So do I. I gave a customer who used another equipment brand from overseas a book on the history of Caterpillar. He ended up buying Caterpillar stock and I ended up selling a $100,000 bulldozer to a guy.

I love how Bfgrn says he doesn't brag about how much he makes, and goes on to brag about how much he makes. Bfgrn, was that sales position a union job?

salesman that is anti capitalism, shocked that you are dissenchanted. LOFL:whoa:

I have many customers who were not just customers, they are friends. Most of them are multi-millionaires. One thing I learned is we share the same values. I was always honest with my customers and took an interest in THEIR success. I didn't sell them equipment, I sold them my expertise in providing solutions, better ways to do their jobs and my pledge that when something broke, I would personally get the right technician out on their job site and I would be their advocate with the dealership.

I learned from calling on thousands of corporations, from the one man backhoe/trailer guys to the huge corporations with large fleets, people don't get rich by making other people poor or mistreating their employees. One, because employees are not stupid. The owner gets back in spades what he invests in his people. They will either support and take on a sense of ownership in their success or do the exact same in their failure. And second, when an owner discounts and dismisses the value of his employees, he will ultimately discount and dismiss the value of his customers.

Success is not magic, number crunching or plotting to circumvent rules, it is about honesty, hard work and knowing how to treat your people.

Last edited:
So do I. I gave a customer who used another equipment brand from overseas a book on the history of Caterpillar. He ended up buying Caterpillar stock and I ended up selling a $100,000 bulldozer to a guy.

Cat is a great American Company:good4u:

Back