Why do liberals insist on subjective morality being laws?

i'm on the fence.

i have yet to fully conclude if protecting individual rights is a universal and objective imperative.

But think about it... I AM on the fence...

Define 'individual rights'... This is a subjective term.

Which is why I'm on the fence, stupid. I clearly said I haven't concluded that individual rights are objective... I definately lean towards subjective by a wide margin.

I pretty much agree with that, although I think you would cut off more programs and such than I would. I am left leaning center with a dash of libretarian.

Oh please... don't become a big-L Libertarian. You'll kick yourself in the head a year from now. Becoming one is good instruction on why you wouldn't want to be one, however.

There's nothing wrong with protecting individual rights, and believing in free market and a free society, but the libertarian just go crazy with everything, getting pissed off at the merest taxes.

Actually, to tell you the truth US the social programs I'd support may very well be bigger than the ones you would. If I were in power, I'd certainly cut government, but I wouldn't get much further than down to 1.5-2 trillion or so, mostly from cutting out older social programs and such that didn't do much, and cutting out subsidies.

Which is why I'm on the fence, stupid. I clearly said I haven't concluded that individual rights are objective... I definately lean towards subjective by a wide margin.
Fence? What fence? There is no fence to sit on.

"Rights" -- all rights -- are entirely subjective. They exist only in our collective, human reality. You can strip a human being down to the very particles that make up his or her atoms and yet you will not find one single iota of "right" anywhere in the corpse.

You have the rights that society grants you. Period. End of statement.

Yeah that's a big thing I have always had against libertarians, they are often hypocritical but then use some bizarre logic jump to suggest that life, liberty, and property are established, universal, objective rights.

Yeah that's a big thing I have always had against libertarians, they are often hypocritical but then use some bizarre logic jump to suggest that life, liberty, and property are established, universal, objective rights.
They can be established and universal without being objective.

What about universal wrongs? Would it be considered wrong to murder somebody in every society, including those that are not religious based?

What about universal wrongs? Would it be considered wrong to murder somebody in every society, including those that are not religious based?

The ban on "murder" is only based on consensus, not as a "universal" principle.

Millions of people consider it fair game to murder Iraqi shia, Congalese tribesmen, Sudanese villagers, and European Jews.

Many would consider capital punishment to be state sanctioned murder.

We can nitpick it down until it is centralized to one simple scenario and discuss then.

When would it be okay, and under what exact circumstances, to walk up behind somebody and cut their throat without their permission?

We can nitpick it down until it is centralized to one simple scenario and discuss then.

When would it be okay, and under what exact circumstances, to walk up behind somebody and cut their throat without their permission?

I would say every day in Iraq, there are thousands and thousands of sectarian militia and insurgents, who would find that justified. In fact, they go beyond that and brutally torture fellow iraqis to death.

And not just in iraq. Throughout the world, there are militias and other groups who find murder and torture totally acceptable.

Like I said, there is a consesus that murder is immoral and never justified. But, its not universal.

They hide behind masks and do not do it openly because they know they are doing "wrong" that is not a good example.

They hide behind masks and do not do it openly because they know they are doing "wrong" that is not a good example.

The governments of Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, and thousands of the soldiers and security forces quite openly engaged in mass murder.

They didn't wear masks.

There are tons of examples of both governments and individuals thinking they are justified in murder.

Luckily, a broad (but not universal) consensus against murder keeps them in check (most of the time)

Most in Nazi Germany also knew they were doing wrong. Thus the reason, "I was just following orders!" is not acceptable as an excuse in courts... It also is well beyond the question asked.

This too is not a good example.

good us, we agree.

I also think the fda should be disbanded or at the very least they can't have any binding findings.

That's a pretty idiotic statement on many levels:

#1) What the hell would be the purpose of the FDA if their findings weren't binding?

#2) Do you really think pharmaceutical companies, food companies, biotechs, etc have your best interest at heart when they've invested hundreds and millions into a particular product?

If you believe the answer to #2 is yes, then you have a shit load growing up to do. If anything, the FDA has been too laissez-faire about a lot of things, but I won't hijack the thread.

Most in Nazi Germany also knew they were doing wrong. Thus the reason, "I was just following orders!" is not acceptable as an excuse in courts... It also is well beyond the question asked.

This too is not a good example.

Most in Nazi Germany also knew they were doing wrong.

So we are in agreement that the ban on murder is not a univeral value, but a broad consensus, that keeps those who justify murder in check.

No, those who cannot understand when they are doing "wrong" are insane. Attempting to say that there is no universal wrong because of the insane is also not a valid example.

by the laws of the universe, anytime.

That's a pretty idiotic statement on many levels:

#1) What the hell would be the purpose of the FDA if their findings weren't binding?

#2) Do you really think pharmaceutical companies, food companies, biotechs, etc have your best interest at heart when they've invested hundreds and millions into a particular product?

If you believe the answer to #2 is yes, then you have a shit load growing up to do. If anything, the FDA has been too laissez-faire about a lot of things, but I won't hijack the thread.

If you are trying to push a product it may still be in your best interest to have the FDA 'approve' you or give you a good rating. The MPAA rating isn't binding, but that doesn't keep studios from aiming to get certain ratings, they'll even cut scenes if they have to.

#2, do biotech companies want their product killing all their customers? Do they want people to not have confidence in their product? Do they want other biotech and food companies to get a leg up on them and be seen as more responsible? No.

Back