Why do people still believe in Jesus and Christianity?

How do you know it is not possible to come back? Jesus Christ himself describes resurrection. Note that you can't use an argument of ignorance as a proof. That's a fallacy.
well Jesus Is God so he has some abilities that we don't really everything we believe about it is told to a second hand from his experience. Our testimony is uninformed because we haven't died and come back. If you believe Jesus about the resurrection that's one thing but not everybody does.
If one says they don't worry about it, that's actually an indication they DO worry about it somewhat. Otherwise, there would be no need to comment on it at all.
Agreed that was actually the point I was trying to make. If I take this from the perspective of an atheist then the things people believe is of no consequence to me. I tried to approach all of this from the perspective of an atheist.

That's why I always answer the question when someone asks why do you believe because I want to.

No. The Church of No God believes there is no god or gods. They often claim they are 'atheists', when in fact they are theists. This religion tends to be a fundamentalist style religion. They often try to prove the circular argument their religion is based upon, committing the circular argument fallacy. This is what a fundamentalist does.

Oh okay I get what you mean. I tend to find these people fall for some other religion like veganism or the impending climate catastrophe religion.

I think with a lot of these people it's more about convincing themselves that they're correct than it is about asking believers why they believe.

The Catholic Church threatened to kill Galileo. A permanent stain on the Church.

You do understand the Catholic Church at the time and even still to this day has its own state that they fund through contributions of parishioners? So yeah they're going to come after anybody that threatens their Canon.

Then they are not atheists, but some flavor of pagan (which is what I am as well). Mr. Owl is truly an atheist. He doesn't subscribe to the notion of a human soul, any sort of afterlife, or belief in any supernatural things at all... including ghosts, gods, or demons. (He does enjoy a good scary ghost or werewolf movie though, lol.) But little by little, his point of view of himself as a stand-alone autonomous being has changed. When we first met and went hiking, his goal was purely exercise and going as fast as he could. He never saw an owl overhead, dozing in a tree, or an unusual plant, or the tiny trail a mouse left through wet grass. Here he was in this glorious creation, but focused inwardly, and so very very alone.

But now? He spots the owl before I do. He points out the tree where deer scratch themselves, and the coarse hairs they leave behind. He rushes out when a bird smacks into a window and brings him inside to recover. He calls our fellow passengers "he" and "she" instead of "it." He catches a spider on the floor in a cup and takes her outside rather than squashing her. He's still an atheist, but now he knows the connection that we all have with all of creation. He doesn't rush anymore when hiking. I love him.

Please tell me about that, if you're okay with it.

Lucky man!! :) lol

I hike w/ some ppl that prob should just go to the gym or track.... They take no picts & only care about summiting & going..

I started w/ ppl mostly like that but have learned to smell the roses along the way, enjoy the journey & adventure....

I saw a bear hiking a few days ago, a nice big healthy reddish brown black bear.. & saw a bobcat about two hours ago on the trail..... he paid us no mind whatsoEVER..

You have taught Mr Owl well & are a great influence on him & prob your hiking buddies as well.. :thup:

The Catholic Church threatened to kill Galileo. A permanent stain on the Church.
A stain indeed. But....
That was not the Middle Ages, the topic of my post
They did not threaten to kill him.
Galileo was a scientist and a devout Christian.
The house arrest and sanction of Galileo was a political issue - a consequence of the counter reformation and religious conflicts of the 16th century.. It did not reflect supposed long standing and historic Catholic animosity to natural philosophy and scholarship.

The Catholics established the first western Universities, and Catholic support for higher education, science, and universities is one thousand years old. And continues to this day. Some of the world's greatest institutions of higher learning are Catholic and Jesuit universities, and some of the most profound scientific discoveries in history have been made by Catholic priests and monks

A stain indeed. But....
That was not the Middle Ages, the topic of my post
They did not threaten to kill him.
Galileo was a scientist and a devout Christian.
The house arrest and sanction of Galileo was a political issue - a consequence of the counter reformation and religious conflicts of the 16th century.. It did not reflect supposed long standing and historic Catholic animosity to natural philosophy and scholarship.

The Catholics established the first western Universities, and Catholic support for higher education, science, and universities is one thousand years old. And continues to this day. Some of the world's greatest institutions of higher learning are Catholic and Jesuit universities, and some of the most profound scientific discoveries in history have been made by Catholic priests and monks

Galileo was lucky he wasn't burned at the stake like a lot of heretics.

Read his website and you'll see he's not stupid, just not firing on all cylinders: https://politiplex.freeforums.net/thread/59/nights-numbered-mantra-list

Meet his sock puppets:
4ddlj6.jpg

He even gave himself an award............:laugh:

Is it a board or pity party of one??

He even gave himself an award............:laugh:

Is it a board or pity party of one??

It's a pretty odd little party. He's obviously spent a lot of time posting material to it. Mostly he uses it as a storage locker for articles (many copy and pasted) and pictures. He's written a lot too such as his OCD Mantra list. If you're ever bored, take a look. It's like looking inside a person's room; there's as much to learn from what they have in there as from what they don't.

Instances were rare prior to Anita Bryant and those Christian Coalition assholes. The only major things I remember about it are the Scopes trial and Blue Laws. That's when science started to be a bad thing and sent our national politics towards those Dark Ages.

The Christian Right and radical Islamics are much more alike than they are different.
Too right you are.

While there was always periodic conflict between the church and natural philosophers, a war between religion and science is an artificial construct of the 19th century.

Study of the natural world was supported by the church since at least the Middle Ages. Understanding God's creation was of keen interest to theologians.

The patriarch of early Christianity, Saint Augustine, insisted that reason and rational knowlege of the world should infuse Christianity - and that interpretations of the Bible were always provisional, and needed to adapt and conform to whatever the current state of knowlege of the natural world happened to be.

It's a pretty odd little party. He's obviously spent a lot of time posting material to it. Mostly he uses it as a storage locker for articles (many copy and pasted) and pictures. He's written a lot too such as his OCD Mantra list. If you're ever bored, take a look. It's like looking inside a person's room; there's as much to learn from what they have in there as from what they don't.

Two ppl posting there & one on occasion..

Looks pretty sleepy....

Too right you are.

While there was always periodic conflict between the church and natural philosophers, a war between religion and science is an artificial construct of the 19th century.

Study of the natural world was supported by the church since at least the Middle Ages. Understanding God's creation was of keen interest to theologians.

The patriarch of early Christianity, Saint Augustine, insisted that reason and rational knowlege of the world should infuse Christianity - and that interpretations of the Bible were always provisional, and needed to adapt and conform to whatever the current state of knowlege of the natural world happened to be.

The Holy Roman Empire and the Spanish empire were assholes about the religion, but they loved to use science.

I've never understood the "war" between science and religion. But we can see what happens when religion wins -- the Dark Ages are a good example. So is what happened to the Arab world when fundie Islam dominated. We still use the term algebra and the Arabic names for the stars, but few of them are excelling in mathematics and science these days.

In this matter of the fabricated misnomer immaculate Jesus the Christ conception created from nothing there seems to be an extensive ongoing tautology for the diatribe energy to destroy all else in it's megalomaniacal crusade of "serve the Pope or die" from Islam "death to the infidels" sociopsychopathilogical homicidal human farming.

Back