Why does time work the way it does?

The earth's orbits around the sun are its revolutions, and the earth's rotations about its axis are its rotations.
The problem with using the orbits and rotations of planets and/or celestial bodies is that they change over ... wait for it ... time!
Nope. Not orbits or rotations. This is why time is no longer defined by earth's rotation. You might think that one second is defined as 1/60th of 1/60th of 1/24th of an earth's rotation, but it is not. For those who have an understanding of Relativity, one earth rotation represents a different amount of time to an observer in a different inertial frame of reference, so no, it certainly is not applicable anywhere, and that defeats the purpose of unit of measure.
One second is defined by the radiation of a cesium isotope. That is the same amount of time regardless of one's inertial frame of reference and yes, it is applicable anywhere and everywhere.
It's actually quite easy to imagine "backward infinity" by imagining yourself observing the universe as an external observer to the universe. Imagine the universe getting slower and slower as you go back in time towards the singularity as time itself within the universe begins dilating (slowing down) more and more. Imagine that it begins to take two seconds of your time for one second of time to occur in the universe, like someone turned on the slow motion. Eventually it takes three seconds of your time for the universe to complete one second of its time. Then it takes four seconds, five seconds, six seconds ... it starts to get very slow. After a long while, it starts to take years of your time for the universe to move back in time just one second. Eventually it gets to the point that it takes centuries for one second of advancement, and then it takes millennia. At the singularity, it will take infinite time to move one second, i.e. you will never get there. You will be going back in time forever without ever reaching the point of the Big Bang, i.e. the singularity, as time becomes infinitely slow.
Then there is the theory of the continuum in which there was never any beginning. Just imagine that you're sitting in the universe, traveling backward through time observing something that is getting slower and slower and slower, as in the example above. You will be studying it forever in your universe without a beginning as you travel back in time forever.
Did you not have a beginning? I mean, what came before you? Also, those who believe that time itself began at the Big Bang do not believe there was any time prior to that.
Nope. It doesn't look like you have the units, but I can give them to you: Cesium-133 radiates very stably at 9,192,631,770 Hz, ergo, one second is 9,192,631,770 cycles of Cesium-133 radiation.
It's definitely definable. In fact, the definition is what serves as the basis for acceptance or rejection of the model. There are posters on JPP who reject the Hawking definition of the singularity, and yet others on JPP reject the idea of no singularity ever. Fortunately, international markets and the global economy are not tied to any particular model of the universe.

This is what I actually wrote.

"Time is fairly simple to me.
I'm not saying that it is actually simple,
but it's simple for all of my practical applications.

It's based on the earth's orbit around the sun as well as it's own revolutions [wrong word chosen here].
That established the units in real time."

This is not that to which you replied, Eyebee.

Neither relativity nor quantum mechanics,
despite their possible ability to make accurate predictions from a single perspective,
are in any way applicable to any of my practical requirements
using the concept of time.

That was pretty much my point.

"Time is fairly simple to me.
I'm not saying that it is actually simple,
but it's simple for all of my practical applications.

It's based on the earth's orbit around the sun as well as it's own revolutions [wrong word chosen here].
That established the units in real time."

Motion and orbital mechanics seem fundamentally different than time.

Newtonian mechanics are not asymmetric. If you know the position and momentum of an astronomical object, you can theoretically know it's future and it's past to any arbitrary precision.

Time is asymmetric. You cannot know the future in any way, even though you can recall the past. In that way it is different from the conventional laws of physics

By social convention we know what time is (7 am on Sunday). But we just don't know why it works like the way it does.

You and your socks know next to nothing of science, but that's good because GoogleMaster Cypress doesn't know much more than you do! It's fun to see you guys argue about stuff you have ZERO CLUE about.
Nah, it's much more fun to watch you continuously claim that all sorts of users on this forum "don't know what they are talking about" while you continuously put on full display that you DON'T know what you are talking about..... well, when you're not in "broken record mode" with your "you have ZERO CLUE" style posts.

Why does time work the way it does? Time is as mysterious as it is familiar. The fundamental laws, ever since Isaac Newton, have a profound feature: they do not distinguish between past and future. They are reversible. But for systems with many moving pieces, there is a pronounced directionality to time.

Explaining why time has an arrow is a primary concern of modern physics. It does not arise from quantum mechanics or particle physics. Rather, it is due to the increase of entropy—a way of measuring how messy or disorderly a system is—as time passes. The increase of entropy is responsible for many deeply ingrained features of time, such as our ability to remember the past or make decisions that affect the future.

The question then becomes: Why does entropy increase? The increase of entropy toward the future is known as the second law of thermodynamics and was explained in modern terms by Ludwig Boltzmann in the 19th century. Boltzmann’s insight is that entropy increases because there are more ways for a system to have high entropy than low entropy; thus, high entropy is a natural condition.

This raises a new question: Why was entropy lower in the past? That turns out to be a much harder problem, one that traces back to the very beginning of time. The low entropy of the past is ultimately due to the fact that our universe had low entropy 13.7 billion years ago. Somehow, our Universe must have avoided all those high entropy states and started in a very unlikely, very low entropy state. Physicists and philosophers call this the past hypothesis. But what makes this hypothesis correct? Why did the Universe begin in such an unlikely state that allowed us to emerge? We do not want to invoke an intelligent designer to make the choice for us — that would be a flagrant case of special pleading.

Cosmology would like to explain why the Big Bang had low entropy, but our best current models aren’t up to the task. It’s possible that the ultimate explanation might lie beyond our observable cosmos, in a larger multiverse.

Source credits:
course guidebook “Mysteries of Modern Physics: Time”, Sean Carrol, CalTech
And
[url="https://bigthink.com/13-8/the-past-hypothesis-universe/#:~:text=It%20would%20experience%20no%20change,call%20this%20the%20past%20hypothesis]Our best models of the Universe have a troubled past [/url]

Because God created it that way, though time is irrelevant to God.

Because God created it that way, though time is irrelevant to God.

I accept that is your opinion.

But throwing one's hands up an declaring "welp, that's just the way it is" is contrary to project of scientific inquiry, and is intellectually and philosophically unsatisfying. I would like humanity to investigate questions about time, about the multiverse, about the nature of cosmic fine tuning.

I accept that is your opinion.

But throwing one's hands up an declaring "welp, that's just the way it is" is contrary to project of scientific inquiry, and is intellectually and philosophically unsatisfying. I would like humanity to investigate questions about time, about the multiverse, about the nature of cosmic fine tuning.

"I would like humanity to investigate questions about time, about the multiverse, about the nature of cosmic fine tuning." To what end and purpose?

BTW "the multiverse" is just imagination not real.

"I would like humanity to investigate questions about time, about the multiverse, about the nature of cosmic fine tuning." To what end and purpose?

Intellectual curioisity.

I have never insisted that other people be interested in the same questions I am interested in.

Intellectual curioisity.

I have never insisted that other people be interested in the same questions I am interested in.

I get it. I guess I just have more important things to focus on like how Im using the time God has given me. There ultimately is no answer to how time works. It just does but I get the curiosity.

That's good. I just think there are better things to do with our time then sorry about how time works. What we know is it doesnt stop and at some point each of us will run out of it and we can't get another minute of it. That's all I need to know.

I get it. I guess I just have more important things to focus on like how Im using the time God has given me. There ultimately is no answer to how time works. It just does but I get the curiosity.

That's good. I just think there are better things to do with our time then sorry about how time works. What we know is it doesnt stop and at some point each of us will run out of it and we can't get another minute of it. That's all I need to know.

I usually have the time to spend thinking about all of it: relationships, finances, health, entertainment, and high energy particle physics.

This is what I actually wrote.
You don't need to repeat it. I read it the first time. Unlike you, I can read.

Time is fairly simple to me. I'm not saying that it is actually simple
... and you can say that time actually is simple because it has no parameters, unless the context involves multiple inertial frames of reference, but that is true for everything.

... but it's simple for all of my practical applications.
Great. For some reason you felt the need to reemphasize this point. I think everyone will take you on your word that time is simple for all of your practical applications. I don't think anyone expects you to ever have any impractical applications.

It's based on the earth's orbit around the sun as well as it's own revolutions
I don't think so. I think you use a watch, and that your computer and cell phone have clocks, i.e. that you operate on the same time system that everybody else uses.

established the units in real time.
Nope. This is not the case. The units of the time system we all use are based on the "second," which is the unit of measure of time, and I explained to you how it is defined. You use it. It is defined as I described, not as you imagined.

Neither relativity nor quantum mechanics,
Why are you bringing quantum mechanics into this?

... despite their possible ability to make accurate predictions from a single perspective, are in any way applicable to any of my practical requirements using the concept of time.
Do you use a clock? Answer: yes you do. Chemistry helps us define one second, and everybody uses it for all applications.

Right. I get it. You were specifically mistaken about how the units of measure are defined. Now you know how the basis for all of your applications is defined, i.e. per cesium-133.

Enjoy.

Doesn't mean it's a good use of time

I am sure the vast majority of people couldn't care less about stuff like this.

A lot of posters here invest lots of time on threads involving insults, flame wars, gossip, propaganda.

You don't need to repeat it. I read it the first time. Unlike you, I can read.

... and you can say that time actually is simple because it has no parameters, unless the context involves multiple inertial frames of reference, but that is true for everything.

Great. For some reason you felt the need to reemphasize this point. I think everyone will take you on your word that time is simple for all of your practical applications. I don't think anyone expects you to ever have any impractical applications.

I don't think so. I think you use a watch, and that your computer and cell phone have clocks, i.e. that you operate on the same time system that everybody else uses.

Nope. This is not the case. The units of the time system we all use are based on the "second," which is the unit of measure of time, and I explained to you how it is defined. You use it. It is defined as I described, not as you imagined.

Why are you bringing quantum mechanics into this?

Do you use a clock? Answer: yes you do. Chemistry helps us define one second, and everybody uses it for all applications.

Right. I get it. You were specifically mistaken about how the units of measure are defined. Now you know how the basis for all of your applications is defined, i.e. per cesium-133.

Enjoy.

Eyebee, I really need to reflect on myself a little bit.

I spend far too time in correspondence with total fucking idiots like yourself.

You like to vomit up all of your quasi-scientific gibberish,
but you can't even comprehend the meaning of straightforward generic conversation.

You have absolutely no value-- for anything--to anybody.
That's not my fault,
but the time that I've wasted on you is.

Eyebee, I really need to reflect on myself a little bit.
I doubt that you get that deep.

I spend far too time in correspondence with total fucking idiots like yourself.
That's your frustration speaking. You don't know anything so you don't understand anything, ... and that gets frustrating. You're just like Cypress in that regard. Anyone who adds some knowledge to some gibberish you write immediately becomes a feared enemy to be HATED.

You like to vomit up all of your quasi-scientific gibberish,
Too funny. You wouldn't recognize quasi-scientific gibberish from actual science from general conversation from your ass, even if all were right in front of you clearly labelled. You spend far too much time pretending that you can hang with others on the internet when you should really consider giving it up. Shouldn't you be virtue-signaling about now to other leftist dimwits how you have me on ignore? When you get done draining the life out of threads on JPP, maybe you should consider some brain exercises more down to your level, like watching water evaporate.

but you can't even comprehend the meaning of straightforward generic conversation.
If only you were able to understand beyond basic grunting, you'd recognize the bona fide generic conversation in my post. I'm beginning to see why you are always so confused.

You have absolutely no value-- for anything--to anybody.
While you, on the other hand, are a geniuth ... your words are worth their weight in gold.

That's not my fault, but the time that I've wasted on you is.
You're supposed to have me on ignore, you fucking moron, because I don't write down at the 3rd grade level, i.e. you are never going to understand any of my posts no matter how hard you try. All you had to do was ask the nearest literate adult to explain my posts to you and you would have lived to fight another day.

Back