Why hunt? To kill is a thrill if you're mentally ill

Legion Troll

A fine upstanding poster

I see trophy hunters killing for "sport".

I hear thrill-killers jabbering about "harvesting" animals.

If they want meat, can't they go to the meat counter at the store?

Is it more "respectful" to enjoy the death agony of an animal?

They don't grow their own rice, do they?

Maybe it's no fun to "harvest" a plant, since they can't flee in terror or exhibit agony in their death struggles.

Sick.

The majority of hunters hunt for food that will sustain them for a longer period of time than they would by going to buy meat from the grocery store. I killed a deer a few seasons ago and that meat lasted us for a while, and when you have a variety of meats such as deer, duck, wild boar, rabbit, beef, and other animals like that in your freezer you can basically live off that meat for the better part of the year or longer which saves alot of money in comparison to buying it from the store and you know where your food is coming from.

http://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2011/12/7/six-reasons-everyone-should-hunt/

Here are some good reasons:

1. It’s safe
According to data recently collected by the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF), hunting with a gun is the third-safest sport when compared to 28 other popular sports, and has a lower injury rate than golf, volleyball and tackle football.

2. It’s healthy
Not only is venison free of man-made intervention, but obtaining it through hunting can be good exercise for the body and the mind. Hunting isn’t just about the kill—being afield helps us get reacquainted with the sights and sounds of the outdoors. It also allows us to step off the grid and escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life, which can be a refreshing change of pace for many.

3. It helps the planet
Hunting license fees and excise taxes on firearms and ammunition fund millions of acres of habitat preservation and improvement. Each year, sportsmen contribute $7.5 million per day toward conservation.

4. It’s good for the species
Habitat loss has eroded the natural range of animals while agriculture has increased food supplies—the result is game populations that must be managed. If they’re not hunted, they’ll die of starvation or disease. Like it or not, as we increase our land use, proper game management becomes more important than ever.

5. It saves money and helps the economy
Though you can spend thousands on gadgets and gear, putting game on the table can be done on a shoestring budget. Hunters are a generous lot—get a hunter to take you along and borrow what you can. Resident licenses and public land provide access at reasonable costs. Fifty or so pounds of meat will make for a lot family dinners.

And according to the Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies, hunting is responsible for 600,000 U.S jobs, $66 billion in economic activity and $10 billion in state and federal tax revenue.

6. It's good for your family
There are few better ways to spend quality time with your children than to take them away from the computer or TV and show them where their food comes from. Revealing how important it is to be resourceful and self-sufficient is also one of the greatest life lessons you can teach them.

There's nothing like the primal satisfaction of watching the final seconds of life flickering out of the eyes of a beautiful animal you just shot, is there.
It's good for the soul.

There's nothing like the primal satisfaction of watching the final seconds of life flickering out of the eyes of a beautiful animal you just shot, is there.
It's good for the soul.

If you eat meat from the grocery store it met the same end. When you hunt for your own food you can show thanks to the animal that you took, you know exactly where your meat came from, and you have an assortment of cuts from the same animal that will sustain you for a while for a fraction of the cost that you would have spent at the store. At the end of the day unless you are a strict vegetarian then you are either killing your food or someone else did it for you.

1. It’s safe

According to the International Hunter Education Association, approximately 1,000 people in the US and Canada are accidentally shot by hunters every year, and just under a hundred of those accidents are fatalities. Most victims are hunters, but non-hunters are also sometimes killed or injured. Although some other forms of recreation cause more fatalities, hunting is one of the few activities that endangers the entire community, and not just the willing participants.

http://animalrights.about.com/od/wildlife/f/HuntingAccident.htm

2. It’s healthy

Chronic wasting disease (CWD). Similar to mad cow disease, CWD is found in deer and elk. While human infection is a potential concern, there have been no verified cases. To minimize risk, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) suggests that hunters who harvest deer or elk from known CWD-positive areas consider having the animal tested for CWD before consuming the meat. (Information about testing is available from most state wildlife agencies.) In addition, hunters should take precautions such as avoiding animals that appear ill and following good field-dressing practices, such as wearing gloves and minimizing the handling of brain and spinal cord tissues.

Lead levels. A number of studies have demonstrated that lead ammunition can cause lead contamination of game. Whether this is a concern has yet to be determined. However, the CDC recommends discarding portions of game that contain lead bullet fragments or using non-lead ammunition. For those at highest risk of adverse effects from lead exposure — pregnant women and children younger than 6 years of age — it may be prudent to avoid eating game shot with lead bullets or slugs.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-blog/wild-game/bgp-20056169

3. It helps the planet

So now you're an environmentalist?

4. It’s good for the species

Do the animals agree with your assessment, Doctor Damolittle?

5. It saves money and helps the economy

So would slaughtering poor people for sport. Have you seen Hunger Games?

6. It's good for your family

Unless they get shot, catch a disease from eating wild animals, pick up a tick in the woods and get Lyme Disease...you'd be safer hosting Syrian refugees, wouldn't you? Maybe President Trump would let you hunt them!

If you eat meat from the grocery store it met the same end. When you hunt for your own food you can show thanks to the animal that you took, you know exactly where your meat came from, and you have an assortment of cuts from the same animal that will sustain you for a while for a fraction of the cost that you would have spent at the store. At the end of the day unless you are a strict vegetarian then you are either killing your food or someone else did it for you.

It's more fun to kill the animal yourself after chasing the terrified beast until it's exhausted, and then enjoy "respectfully" smearing the last spurts of it's blood all over your face before posing for a snapshot, isn't it?

The majority of hunters hunt for food that will sustain them for a longer period of time than they would by going to buy meat from the grocery store. I killed a deer a few seasons ago and that meat lasted us for a while, and when you have a variety of meats such as deer, duck, wild boar, rabbit, beef, and other animals like that in your freezer you can basically live off that meat for the better part of the year or longer which saves alot of money in comparison to buying it from the store and you know where your food is coming from.

I guess your rancher parents never told you about buying a whole side of beef and freezing it. Odd.

It's more fun to kill the animal yourself after chasing the terrified beast until it's exhausted, and then enjoy "respectfully" smearing the last spurts of it's blood all over your face before posing for a snapshot, isn't it?

I've not done that before and I dont plan on it either. Typically when you hunt you want the least amount of stress from the animal you take and so being quiet and taking one shot without it ever knowing you were there is ideal for all involved.

I guess your rancher parents never told you about buying a whole side of beef and freezing it. Odd.

Why would we buy a whole side of beef? We usually take our own beef when we need to for ourselves from the cattle we raise. In addition to that they, and sometimes I, will go hunting too for other types of meat to have a variety.

Why would we buy a whole side of beef? We usually take our own beef when we need to for ourselves from the cattle we raise. In addition to that they, and sometimes I, will go hunting too for other types of meat to have a variety.

Just a few minutes ago you said:

So, again, if the benefit of personally chasing down and killing a terrified animal is the size of the yield, why not freeze a side of beef?

Could it be that it the beef cattle aren't as much fun to massacre?

I've not done that before and I dont plan on it either. Typically when you hunt you want the least amount of stress from the animal you take and so being quiet and taking one shot without it ever knowing you were there is ideal for all involved.

I'm sure the animals that you inflict hideous death upon for sport appreciate your sensitivity. Being killed is much less stressful when your murderer is quiet. One could say it's almost relaxing.

Just a few minutes ago you said:

So, again, if the benefit of personally chasing down and killing a terrified animal is the size of the yield, why not freeze a side of beef?

Could it be that it the beef cattle aren't as much fun to massacre?

Well the deer I killed was with a rifle and it never knew I was there so I didn't have to chase it or anything like that and it wasnt terrified since it didnt know I was there. As for food beef is good and all but eating beef every day isnt very good for you and it also gets kind of old. It would be like you eating the same thing every day growing up, you'd get tired of it. If you have an assortment of different meats in your freezer then it just lends itself to a variety of meals and a healthier assortment of proteins than just one. If you are a vegetarian then obviously it wouldnt matter but if you shop for your meat at the grocery store I doubt you buy the same type of meat and the same cut every single time.

Well the deer I killed was with a rifle and it never knew I was there so I didn't have to chase it or anything like that and it wasnt terrified since it didnt know I was there.

Did it tell you that before it felt the killing impact of your bullet, or afterward in a vision?

It's good to know that your diary variety is a goal that overrides an animals right to exist. Being bored would be a bad thing. I'm sure the animals would gladly offer their young to you if they could only understand.

Back