Why hunt? To kill is a thrill if you're mentally ill

According to the International Hunter Education Association, approximately 1,000 people in the US and Canada are accidentally shot by hunters every year, and just under a hundred of those accidents are fatalities. Most victims are hunters, but non-hunters are also sometimes killed or injured. Although some other forms of recreation cause more fatalities, hunting is one of the few activities that endangers the entire community, and not just the willing participants.

http://animalrights.about.com/od/wildlife/f/HuntingAccident.htm

Chronic wasting disease (CWD). Similar to mad cow disease, CWD is found in deer and elk. While human infection is a potential concern, there have been no verified cases. To minimize risk, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) suggests that hunters who harvest deer or elk from known CWD-positive areas consider having the animal tested for CWD before consuming the meat. (Information about testing is available from most state wildlife agencies.) In addition, hunters should take precautions such as avoiding animals that appear ill and following good field-dressing practices, such as wearing gloves and minimizing the handling of brain and spinal cord tissues.

Lead levels. A number of studies have demonstrated that lead ammunition can cause lead contamination of game. Whether this is a concern has yet to be determined. However, the CDC recommends discarding portions of game that contain lead bullet fragments or using non-lead ammunition. For those at highest risk of adverse effects from lead exposure — pregnant women and children younger than 6 years of age — it may be prudent to avoid eating game shot with lead bullets or slugs.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-blog/wild-game/bgp-20056169

So now you're an environmentalist?

Do the animals agree with your assessment, Doctor Damolittle?

So would slaughtering poor people for sport. Have you seen Hunger Games?

Unless they get shot, catch a disease from eating wild animals, pick up a tick in the woods and get Lyme Disease...you'd be safer hosting Syrian refugees, wouldn't you? Maybe President Trump would let you hunt them!

The health "risks" you listed are theoretical, at best. No recorded fatalities for either. And there is a chance of being exposed to CWD. If you are eating meat from the grocery store, you are getting steroids and antibiotics.

And yes, Damo is an environmentalist. And hunters work to keep and maintain habitats, not just for deer, but that support many, many species. Also, the special fees and licenses hunters pay and buy usually make up the lion's share of a state's conservation budget.

Your sarcastic "Dr Doolittle" comment was far off base. Deer evolved with predators keeping their numbers in check and weeding out the weak. Most places have no natural predators for deer. So the hunters fill that purpose. Unchecked population growth of a large herbivore is not good on any environmental niche.

If you are comparing hunting to cannibalism, then you have to include the meat purchased at a grocery store. At least hunters take responsibility for their own. The rest pay someone else to do the dirty work and receive little sterile packages.

It's more fun to kill the animal yourself after chasing the terrified beast until it's exhausted, and then enjoy "respectfully" smearing the last spurts of it's blood all over your face before posing for a snapshot, isn't it?

I don't know who you have talked to about "chasing the terrified beast until it's exhausted". I don't know a single person who hunts in a manner that even vaguely resembles that. But I would be very interested to have you tell me any predator (especially of deer) that hunts its prey in a "gentle" manner.

As for the smearing of blood on your face, that is an old tradition for a first kill. Not every time. And I'm not sure why you think that is cruel. The animal is dead when it happens. Perhaps you would prefer a nice respectful funeral.

Every hunter I know goes to great lengths, and no small amount of discomfort, to insure a quick kill. I have had only one deer I shot run. The rest fell where they were shot.

I'm sure the animals that you inflict hideous death upon for sport appreciate your sensitivity. Being killed is much less stressful when your murderer is quiet. One could say it's almost relaxing.

Hideous death? As opposed to being harried and taken by wolves, or hit by a car on the highway? Hunters do everything they can to make a quick kill. Most do so because they want to be humane. Even those who don't care, don't want to chase a wounded animal.

I don't know who you have talked to about "chasing the terrified beast until it's exhausted". I don't know a single person who hunts in a manner that even vaguely resembles that. But I would be very interested to have you tell me any predator (especially of deer) that hunts its prey in a "gentle" manner.

As for the smearing of blood on your face, that is an old tradition for a first kill. Not every time. And I'm not sure why you think that is cruel. The animal is dead when it happens. Perhaps you would prefer a nice respectful funeral.

Every hunter I know goes to great lengths, and no small amount of discomfort, to insure a quick kill. I have had only one deer I shot run. The rest fell where they were shot.

Thank you for those words

I don't know who you have talked to about "chasing the terrified beast until it's exhausted". I don't know a single person who hunts in a manner that even vaguely resembles that. But I would be very interested to have you tell me any predator (especially of deer) that hunts its prey in a "gentle" manner. As for the smearing of blood on your face, that is an old tradition for a first kill. Not every time. And I'm not sure why you think that is cruel. The animal is dead when it happens. Perhaps you would prefer a nice respectful funeral. Every hunter I know goes to great lengths, and no small amount of discomfort, to insure a quick kill. I have had only one deer I shot run. The rest fell where they were shot.

You anecdotal evidence is noted, and will be treated with the credibility it deserves.

You anecdotal evidence is noted, and will be treated with the credibility it deserves.

Much like your "chasing the terrified beast until it is exhausted". Oh wait, you don't even have anecdotal evidence for that, do you?

Even using dogs to flush deer does not qualify to be that sensationalistic bit of nonsense.

Hideous death? As opposed to being harried and taken by wolves, or hit by a car on the highway? Hunters do everything they can to make a quick kill. Most do so because they want to be humane. Even those who don't care, don't want to chase a wounded animal.

Perhaps society should institute a cull of all living organisms who might die in a manner you deem unpleasant, like "being harried" or "hit by a car on the highway"?

You sure seem to have a lot of stories about the gentle, wise and caring hunters in the world.

How about these guys?

Spare me the "No true Scotsman" response.

Perhaps society should institute a cull of all living organisms who might die in a manner you deem unpleasant, like "being harried" or "hit by a car on the highway"?

You sure seem to have a lot of stories about the gentle, wise and caring hunters in the world.

How about these guys?

There are 12.7 million hunters in the US (that use a gun). A handful of videos of deviants does not indict the vast majority.

And if you want to see cruelty, look to the way animals are treated in factory farms. Far worse than the few videos you have found.

How about these guys?

Its funny, you cry about hunters being cruel when they shoot an animal. But mock my comments about a deer being harried by wolves (and the "...by wolves" is a key part of my statement) or hit by a car. I can promise you that most deer killed by hunters will die quicker than deer hit by cars or chased by predators.

There are 12.7 million hunters in the US (that use a gun). A handful of videos of deviants does not indict the vast majority.
And if you want to see cruelty, look to the way animals are treated in factory farms. Far worse than the few videos you have found.

Is the 'No true Scotsman' defense all you have?

Or perhaps you think I stated that factory farms are morally superior to hunting for sport. People who run and/or work at factory farms and slaughterhouses may enjoy killing as much as "sport" hunters do. I don't know.

Enjoy this little Texas gal:

Its funny, you cry about hunters being cruel when they shoot an animal. But mock my comments about a deer being harried by wolves (and the "...by wolves" is a key part of my statement) or hit by a car. I can promise you that most deer killed by hunters will die quicker than deer hit by cars or chased by predators.

Did you see me "crying"?

I doubt that drivers of cars that strike animals accidentally enjoy doing it.

Maybe you're going to tell me you know some that do.

Are you?

Humans who kill animals for fun are predators, aren't they?

Back