Why I carry a gun

• Thread starter Thread starter Cancel3
  • Start date Start date
I don't know. I am tempted to use The Voices. Its pretty much guaranteed to have them leave me alone.
I don't like that answer. It feeds the fraidy cats sense that ONLY crazy people carry guns. I am not crazy. I deal with hostile soon to be ex spouses all the time. I have been threatened with physical violence by both husbands and wives several times. If any of them come in with a gun, I am not going to have time to call the police, and I am not going to try to fist fight with someone with a gun.

I love stories like this and have been involved in a couple myself. Anytime the bad guy gets caught life is good.

After hearing several bumps in the night, Claire Storms woke her husband, NRA Life member Dave Storms. He armed himself with a handgun and approached the noise. A 16-year-old wearing a bandana over his face was in the bathroom. Police said the teen had forcefully entered a window and was stealing money from Dave’s wallet. “Just his eyes were showing,” Storms recalled. “I put the gun on him real quick and I said, ‘Back up and sit down on the pot’.” The teen sat down and waited for police to arrive, all the while asking to leave and begging not to be shot. Storms said some in the community feared he’d be charged with a crime for defending himself, but he knew he was within his rights. “If it was Washington, D.C., I would be in trouble,” Storms said, adding that his fellow citizens “better vote for people who believe in the Second Amendment and our right to bear arms.” (Presque Isle County Advance, Rogers City, MI, 08/28/08)

Desh, his response to the person asking him “Why do you think you have to carry a gun?” is meant to be humorous. Its not as if he is pretending to be insane, its that he is picking at the person asking him.

I have had people ask me the same question, and in a manner that showed me that they really didn't care what I thought, they were hoping to make fun of me. There are quite a few people out there who consider themselves morally superior for their disdain of guns.

It was humor. The article was written, as I said, for a magazine for handgunners.

And quite a few gun people who consider themsleves superior to people who hate guns.

Its glorifying guns and those who carrry them.

I really dont have anything against guns and I wish we had a world where people could carry whenever they felt the need to do so.

The gun culture harms itself with such self promotion.

When someone asks that question tell them the REAL answer.

Its not your fault they refuse to hear the real answer and anyone else who overhears may just be listening.

When you walk the world with a gun at your side the people who walk next to you have reason to fear you.

LOL desh is so funny in gun threads.

Always alternating between hating on guns and claiming that she fully supports the 2nd amendment. It's like she got some DNC memo that it was unpopular to bash guns now after Heller.

And quite a few gun people who consider themsleves superior to people who hate guns.

Its glorifying guns and those who carrry them.

I really dont have anything against guns and I wish we had a world where people could carry whenever they felt the need to do so.

The gun culture harms itself with such self promotion.

When someone asks that question tell them the REAL answer.

Its not your fault they refuse to hear the real answer and anyone else who overhears may just be listening.

When you walk the world with a gun at your side the people who walk next to you have reason to fear you.

I will tell anyone who asks the real reason, if I suspect they are asking me a real question.

I disagree with the idea my walking the world with a gun should be cause for the people walking beside me to fear me. If they do, it is an irrantional fear.

Fear the criminal. Fear the person who holds your life in contempt. Fear the person who wishes you harm.

But there is no reason to fear me. In fact, I am much more likely to save someone from harm than to cause them harm.

The violent criminals often depend on fear to keep people from helping one another. Calling the police is a great idea. I would do it as soon as possible. But that is more likely to get the investigation of the crime started sooner. Preventing the crime is more difficult.

If you see several people attacking an individual, do you stop and try to help? Unarmed you are more likely to become the second victim. Most people would not try and help. When I visit our jobs in MD or VA I would be less likely to stop. I am a large fellow, but I am also pushing 50 years old. In a physical confrontation with more than one person I am likely to get hurt.

How does anyone who doesnt know you going to know what you are willing to do with that gun?

Being fearful of a deadly impliment is not irrational.

How does anyone who doesnt know you going to know what you are willing to do with that gun?

Being fearful of a deadly impliment is not irrational.

Are they afraid of automobiles, fertilizier plants, machete's, or other deadly things?

The only reason a gun is dangerous, to say nothing of deadly, is the person holding it. And a person who wants to harm or kill you has a good chance of succeeding unless you can defend yourself.

You bet Im fearful of Who is opperating automobiles every minute Im on the road.

Im fearful of Who is buying large amounts of fertilizers and dont own farms.

Im fearful of anyone carrying a machete arround or anything else dangerous.

Its not the thing its the person who is carrying it.

If I dont know the person you bet Im aware of the reasons to fear them. Not an irrational fear but a reality fear.

You bet Im fearful of Who is opperating automobiles every minute Im on the road.

Im fearful of Who is buying large amounts of fertilizers and dont own farms.

Im fearful of anyone carrying a machete arround or anything else dangerous.

Its not the thing its the person who is carrying it.

If I dont know the person you bet Im aware of the reasons to fear them. Not an irrational fear but a reality fear.

I would not use the word "fearful" to describe my feelings about people but I would use the word "cautious." I just got back from Kentucky on Saturday, a 12 hour drive. I am cautious of other drivers while driving lickity split down the interstate and am cautious of interactions with strangers while stopping for gas or at a hotel, especially with my kid along. While being cautious I make it a point not to act weird or anything but I am alert and aware of my surroundings. I refuse to go through life afraid but I think it is prudent to use a little caution.

Yeap, it is how they are used that is the problem people fear.

I would fear anyone with a gun at some level of my being.

That is what the gun people face and they continually fuck up with crap like this.

“So,” queried Snidely Snotworth III, lookin’ down his un-busted but needed-bustin’ nose, “Why do you think you have to carry a gun?”

“Well,” bellowed the Brutish Neanderthal (that would be me): “Because you’re not QUALIFIED to carry one. You haven’t got the skills, the judgment, the sense of responsibility, or the courage for it.”

Do any of them really think it helps their cause?

People have a right to suspect your reasons for carrying a gun, It involves their self preservation.

When you infer that they are "unworthy" and that you are superior who is being the fucking snob?

I have a perfectly reasonable interest in your thoughts about packing.

If you want the world to respect the reasons you carry then act in a reasuring and respectable manner to those who ask.

Yeap, it is how they are used that is the problem people fear.

I would fear anyone with a gun at some level of my being.

That is what the gun people face and they continually fuck up with crap like this.

“So,” queried Snidely Snotworth III, lookin’ down his un-busted but needed-bustin’ nose, “Why do you think you have to carry a gun?”

“Well,” bellowed the Brutish Neanderthal (that would be me): “Because you’re not QUALIFIED to carry one. You haven’t got the skills, the judgment, the sense of responsibility, or the courage for it.”

Do any of them really think it helps their cause?

People have a right to suspect your reasons for carrying a gun, It involves their self preservation.

When you infer that they are "unworthy" and that you are superior who is being the fucking snob?

I have a perfectly reasonable interest in your thoughts about packing.

If you want the world to respect the reasons you carry then act in a reasuring and respectable manner to those who ask.

I have no problem responding to those who ask the question because they are curious, or because they want to know why there is an armed person in their midst.

What I do not care to respond to nearly as respectfully is those who are trying to start an argument or trying to belittle me.

And the difference is purely tone.

I have no problem responding to those who ask the question because they are curious, or because they want to know why there is an armed person in their midst.

What I do not care to respond to nearly as respectfully is those who are trying to start an argument or trying to belittle me.

just shoot the ones with bad tone...

:eek:

Then you feed right into their perceptions.

Then you feed right into their perceptions.

The ones I am referring to could care less about actual reasons, they are looking for an argument.

I have passed a training course, a state certification, a more extensive background check, and a fingerprint check.

That some anti-gun weasel PERCIEVES that I am a danger is of little consequence to me.

How you react is very unlikely to happen in a vaccume. Let the witnesses to the exchange learn form it.

Back