why is crocodile dundee dying by a stingray so newsworthy??

I have spent plenty of time with stingarays and never once been attacked.

It is exceedingly rare. Animals that are far more dangerous:

Elephants
Dogs
Cats

Each of those kill more people per year than stingrays have in all recorded history.

Elephants
Dogs
Cats

Each of those kill more people per year than stingrays have in all recorded history.

well a dog would be more dangerous b/c you see them on a daily basis, i don't think ive or most people have ever seen a stingray... shoddy comparison.

Damo's right. Its extremely rare. Their first line of defense is always getting out of people's way. He just got hit with a VERY unlucky shot for him. Sting rays are actually pretty cool.

Liberal Denver should change their laws and send the Pit Bulls to Florida to be used as food!

Screw that! We don't want your mutts down here. We have enough of our own. Keep your mutts up there. If you want, I am sure we can find someone (for the right price) willing to ship you some gators.

Immie

Elephants
Dogs
Cats

The host on a Nature program I was looking at recently said that hippos kill more people every year than lions do.

The host on a Nature program I was looking at recently said that hippos kill more people every year than lions do.

I'd imagine that's mainly due to stupidity. People probably don't respect the hippo as the 3-ton wild beast it is but rather some cute and cuddly creature that wants to be his or her friend.

Yup. And the whole "bad analogy" thing? Rubbish. People go to Cabo San Lucas to swim with thousands of these things and hand feed them on a daily basis. That there have only been 17 deaths in all of recorded history from these animals show that they aren't just "relatively" safe. They are incredibly safe to be around.

So - does anyone think they will show the footage?
Yes, unfortunately, it will pop up somewhere.

People have got to use some smarts. An animal that lives in the same rivers as crocodiles, is not going to be friendly.

Yeah. I mean it pierced his heart . That's pretty unlucky. He had a number of things working againt him:

a $hitload of blood loss
poison directly on the heart
relatively far from a hospital

If it stung him on a limb or something he would been okay. But I have a feeling he was being pretty stupid too given the fact that sting rays tend to avoid people unless they they feel directly threatened and can't get away.

yeah and lightning kills more people in the USA each year than snakes do. So I guess yall love snakes now ?

Yup. And the whole "bad analogy" thing? Rubbish. People go to Cabo San Lucas to swim with thousands of these things and hand feed them on a daily basis. That there have only been 17 deaths in all of recorded history from these animals show that they aren't just "relatively" safe. They are incredibly safe to be around.

Yeah people swim with lots of em around ST Pete , FL too. And injuries are several per day from the stingrays at some times of the year. They hurt like heck and rip a big gash in your leg.

Ive been bitten by dogs several times in my life...

Never by a stingray..

I have had lots of experience with both.

Back