Why Jews were never evolution deniers

Cypress

This is what I learned from Shai Cherry, a Jewish religious scholar.

Jews do not count the beginning of existence until Adam was made on the sixth day of creation.

The Jews concluded that the six days of creation was metaphorical, and could not logically represent 24 hour solar cycles --> because the Sun was not even created until the third day.

Therefore, in Jewish theology there was a significant period of creation of indeterminate length before Adam and Eve. The concept of evolution occurring in this period of creation, or the concept of a 4.5 billion year old earth was never problematic in Judaism.

Jews do not count the beginning of existence until Adam was made on the sixth day of creation.

The Jews concluded that the six days of creation was metaphorical, and could not logically represent 24 hour solar cycles --> because the Sun was not even created until the third day.

Therefore, in Jewish theology there was a significant period of creation of indeterminate length before Adam and Eve. The concept of evolution occurring in this period of creation, or the concept of a 4.5 billion year old earth was never problematic in Judaism.

Religious people are enemies of knowledge.

What's your point?

Jews have no problem with evolution nor see it as incompatible with their religious beliefs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_views_on_evolution

Sensible people. I grew up in the midst of mainstream Protestantism (specifically, Lutheran). They took much the same attitude. I had no idea that evolution was even controversial as a kid. In fifth grade I did an assigned science project. I chose the evolution of the horse. Got an A. That was in 1963.

It's only the fundies of various religions who want to make it into a political thing.

Sensible people. I grew up in the midst of mainstream Protestantism (specifically, Lutheran). They took much the same attitude. I had no idea that evolution was even controversial as a kid. In fifth grade I did an assigned science project. I chose the evolution of the horse. Got an A. That was in 1963.

It's only the fundies of various religions who want to make it into a political thing.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil. The southern evangelicals are the loudest, so all other christians run the risk of being lumped in with them

Religion has always been the enemy knowledge.

Like all blanket statements this is only partially true. One small local example: The Ojibwe word for priest translates to "black-robed kidnapper" or "black-robbed thief" due to the removal of native children who were forced into Catholic-run residential schools. Their language, religion, and culture was stripped from them. That's the bad part of religion. The good part: One of the priests was Father Baraga, who wanted to study and save the indigenous people's language. He compiled the first written dictionary of Ojibwe language that is still used today to aid in language revitalization.

Religion and the religious are not all bad, any more than all Republicans or all Democrats are all bad.

Exodus 21:20-21
“And if a man beats his male or female servant with a rod, so that he dies under his hand, he shall surely be punished. Notwithstanding, if he remains alive a day or two, he shall not be punished; for he is his property.

The Bible on slavery:

Leviticus 25:44-45
And as for your male and female slaves whom you may have — from the nations that are around you, from them you may buy male and female slaves. Moreover you may buy the children of the strangers who dwell among you, and their families who are with you, which they beget in your land; and they shall become your property.

1 Peter 2:18
Servants, be submissive to your masters with all fear, not only to the good and gentle, but also to the harsh.

Back