Wow... Zogby has Herman Cain at #2!

Well maybe so, but I guess my logic is, if Romney couldn't beat McCain for the nomination in 2008, and McCain lost in 2008... how is Romney going to win in 2012? I just don't see where there was some mass exodus from the Republican party when Romney didn't win the nomination. If we didn't think he was the right guy then, why is he the right guy now? If we thought McCain had a better chance at beating Obama then, why do we think the man who lost to McCain can get the job done now? I just see Romney as a weaker version of McCain... we wanted a 'moderate' in 2008, and we picked McCain over Romney.. the two top 'moderates' we had to pick from... in 2012, we don't want a moderate, we want a conservative. I don't see Romney being the guy... sorry.

That's some valid questons Dixie but you could ask that of a lot of Republican primaries in the past where the Repelicans have been the party of primogeniture.

lofl at the dummycrats line
cousin marrier, nothing states how fucking pitiful the repukes are than a fucktard that couldn't win the Senate in Ga after promising no abortions even for rape or incest.
Dixtard, you have hitched your wagon to the perfect train for you.

In Dixtards world running Pappa John's pizza is a ginourmous accomplishment.
I'm not making to many judgements on Cain as I don't know a whole lot about him. If Republicans are to challenge Obama in 2012 then they certainly could use a candidate with some charisma. Cain appears to have that quality where the rest of the field are pretty much either unelectable wingnuts or plain old white bread. I'm looking forward to hear what Cain has to say and I will do so with as open a mind as possible.

Cain is the nutjob of the month

I hope a real quality repub like Johnson gets the nod so it's not a snooze fest Like LSU trouncing Ohio Slow.

Proving that what voters want is a tough fiscal and socially conservative candidate...hummmmm

Mr. Christie’s opposition to abortion has long been a matter of public record, but he has barely mentioned it unless asked. Then, in January, the governor addressed a large anti-abortion rally in Trenton, saying, “This is an issue whose time has come.”

In September, he vetoed state support for family planning clinics, a move strongly backed by anti-abortion groups because some of the clinics performed abortions. In February, after the Democratic-controlled Legislature approved a much smaller appropriation for family planning, backed mostly by federal dollars, he vetoed that, too. Mr. Christie also applied for federal money for abstinence-only education, something that the Democrat he unseated, Gov. Jon S. Corzine, had not done.

Proving that what voters want is a tough fiscal and socially conservative candidate...hummmmm

Mr. Christie’s opposition to abortion has long been a matter of public record, but he has barely mentioned it unless asked. Then, in January, the governor addressed a large anti-abortion rally in Trenton, saying, “This is an issue whose time has come.”

In September, he vetoed state support for family planning clinics, a move strongly backed by anti-abortion groups because some of the clinics performed abortions. In February, after the Democratic-controlled Legislature approved a much smaller appropriation for family planning, backed mostly by federal dollars, he vetoed that, too. Mr. Christie also applied for federal money for abstinence-only education, something that the Democrat he unseated, Gov. Jon S. Corzine, had not done.

The year before Ron Paul won the straw poll, did that mean that the GOP voter really wanted a libertarian, or is it a sign that the straw poll is actually not an indicator of anything at all?

Cain is interesting, but an unlikely candidate. It would be interesting if he won, but I don't see a clear path to the nomination for him. Christie... :dunno: It would be possible for him to go back on his "What do I need to do kill myself before they'll believe me? I"m not going to run!" statement if he uses, "The voters strong drive pushed me in to a race..." excuse, but really I don't think he's running.

So, in a straw poll, a guy who isn't running barely beat out a guy who is unlikely to win....

That being said, President Cain sounds cool.

The year before Ron Paul won the straw poll, did that mean that the GOP voter really wanted a libertarian, or is it a sign that the straw poll is actually not an indicator of anything at all?

Cain is interesting, but an unlikely candidate. It would be interesting if he won, but I don't see a clear path to the nomination for him. Christie... :dunno: It would be possible for him to go back on his "What do I need to do kill myself before they'll believe me? I"m not going to run!" statement if he uses, "The voters strong drive pushed me in to a race..." excuse, but really I don't think he's running.

So, in a straw poll, a guy who isn't running barely beat out a guy who is unlikely to win....

That being said, President Cain sounds cool.

ummmm-Ron Paul is also a social conservative~

No not really Dixie.....and I'm not surprised. As I told you previously both Clinton and Carter were relative unknowns when they first ran for the office. It's pretty much mainstream Repelicans who should be worried. The real questions about Cain are, is health, can he raise the money needed and previous stances he's taken with social security and tax reform that would be widely unpopular with mainstream Americans. I also question his temperment. He's never served in public office. It's not the same as running a business where it's your way or the highway. Does he have the temperment to negotiate and compromise? Time will tell on that one but it does finally look like Repelicans finally have a candidate that has more personality then an unsalted cracker. So far he's the only one.

Cain's health is fine, but it will be a nagging question posed by his opposition, no doubt. His stance (as I understand it) on Social Security, is inline with many conservatives, he believes the system is going under and we need to fix it now. To me, that's a better stance than someone who doesn't want to touch the issue because it may be politically caustic. On tax reform, again, he supports the Fair Tax, which I am a big fan of. I think when 'mainstream America' gets around to objectively taking a look at the FT, they will be sold too. Raising money is always the problem for ANY candidate... except for maybe Donald Trump. But donations come with popularity, and as conservative Americans hear Cain's message, I think the money will roll in.

And finally... his temperament. We may just disagree on this one... I damn sure don't want a Republican president who is going to compromise away conservative principles! It's something I would expect from John McCain or Willard Romney, and I wouldn't expect it from Cain. Now Cain tends to be very pragmatic, and sometimes he will surprise me with his viewpoints on things, but once I hear his case, I can understand where he's coming from. He just has a way of getting you to look at things from a different perspective or whatever, I can't explain that... just a rare gift. As I've said before, there is a noticeable 'rift' within the Republican party, among evangelicals and libertarians.. the TEA Party vs. Moderates.. Cain is someone who could bridge that gap and bring us all together with a strong message and the resolve needed to defeat Obama.

This isn't some knee-jerk choice I've made in endorsing Herman Cain, I put a lot of thought into it, and I really do think he is more than a flash in the pan -- flavor of the month. I think he certainly has potential. Whether he can win the nomination, remains to be seen, but he is off to a very impressive start. In just a matter of weeks, he has gone from virtual unknown... mentioned less in discussions about possible nominees than even Gary Johnson... to being the favorite in all these straw polls, and Zogby's #2 behind Christie, who ain't running. Something is happening out there, people are hearing about Herman Cain, and if they listen to Herman Cain, they are sold.

ummmm-Ron Paul is also a social conservative~

You misunderstand what I stated in another thread, and I'm not sure why you do... I'm good with a social conservative so long as their primary concern remains fiscal issues, thus showing IMO a resolve not to compromise on the issues I believe are vastly more important than the other.

In short, if they are going to compromise I'd prefer it would be on social issues to get fiscal solvency issues passed than it would be on fiscal issues to get other priorities passed. Now, Bush was opposite of what we need, he was often liberal on social issues like the border, fiscal issues like the pill bill, etc. and was far too willing to compromise on fiscal issues in order to get these priorities passed. When his priorities changed to war, it didn't fix the urge to compromise on fiscal issues to get what he wanted, it just made it so he compromised for a different priority.

What race has Cain ever won?

Let's set the record straight on Herman Cain's 2004 Senate campaign. He did not enter the race expecting to win, he and Mac Collins hoped to force a runoff with Isakson, who was always the favorite to replace Zell Miller. Cain surprisingly took second ahead of Collins, a seasoned politician. So you shitbrains can spin this into "he couldn't even win a measly senate race" all you like, but he wasn't trying to win the race, just force a runoff.

This is like everything else you people trot out... misinterpreted, misconstrued, misunderstood.... and spun with your own brand of stupidity like no one else can do! Oh, your pinhead buddies are cheering you with hands in the air... but the rest of America is tuning your ass out. You are quickly becoming irrelevant to mainstream Americans, because you don't have sense enough to see what is happening in the world around you. You all live in some Huff-PO Bubble World, where everyone thinks and behaves like a liberal. Well guess what? They don't!

You misunderstand what I stated in another thread, and I'm not sure why you do... I'm good with a social conservative so long as their primary concern remains fiscal issues, thus showing IMO a resolve not to compromise on the issues I believe are vastly more important than the other.

In short, if they are going to compromise I'd prefer it would be on social issues to get fiscal solvency issues passed than it would be on fiscal issues to get other priorities passed. Now, Bush was opposite of what we need, he was often liberal on social issues like the border, fiscal issues like the pill bill, etc. and was far too willing to compromise on fiscal issues in order to get these priorities passed. When his priorities changed to war, it didn't fix the urge to compromise on fiscal issues to get what he wanted, it just made it so he compromised for a different priority.

My trouble was with your seeming need to introduce the fact that a candidate is a social conservative into the equation at all? As if social conservatism has been a problem with the economy. My point is that not only has it not been, it has never been.

Considering that Obama got to the Democratic presidential primary in 2008 entirely by accident (the way he acquired state senator and US Senator were both improbable), its not really a big deal. What Americans want now is a businessman to fix the economy, and Cain happens to have a track record as a businessman, who saved a company from financial ruin.

Back