yipeee 100 $ a barrel oil

Ken Lay is dead. So that will pretty much be the answer for him.

Do you seriously not know the name of Bill Gates? And yes, he and Paris are everyday Americans. Are they average? No, they have wealth (well Paris has a lot less in her future than she used to, but still... wealth)

The point desh is that no matter how wealthy they are, you don't have the right to attack them solely because of their wealth and say "Its not fair".... "tax them more than me". That is bullshit CLASS WARFARE.

By the way, Bill Gates has accomplished more than you and I and every other poster on this board and has become one of the largest philanthropists this country has ever known. Please tell me again how you want to attack him.

It is funny how entrepreneurs like Bill Gates, who has done a hell of a lot of good for people in the world, get attacked for being successful.

Wow i should read the whole thread before I post that she said EVERDAY Americans as opposed to those rich greedy oil bastards that are just weekend Americans and that keep the engine of american commerce full of gas so that it can run. Yes the workers are the pistons and the valves and the oil pumps etc. But the rich greedy oil bastards are the gas that keeps that thing purring along and they are no less EVERYDAY americans than you or I Desh and this is CLASSIC Class envy. They don't have to worry about health insurance or house payments or the typical worries of other americans so lets tax the shit outta them so that they can give their money to the government for redistribution and then they will be everyday americans. Desh you want them pushished for their success at overcoming the day to day worries that others have. LIfe is not fair. Get over it.

Wow i should read the whole thread before I post that she said EVERDAY Americans as opposed to those rich greedy oil bastards that are just weekend Americans and that keep the engine of american commerce full of gas so that it can run. Yes the workers are the pistons and the valves and the oil pumps etc. But the rich greedy oil bastards are the gas that keeps that thing purring along and they are no less EVERYDAY americans than you or I Desh and this is CLASSIC Class envy. They don't have to worry about health insurance or house payments or the typical worries of other americans so lets tax the shit outta them so that they can give their money to the government for redistribution and then they will be everyday americans. Desh you want them pushished for their success at overcoming the day to day worries that others have. LIfe is not fair. Get over it.

HaHa, excellent response Socrtease. "Everyday Americans" is obviously a politicial codeword that is often used in class warfare discussions. As your response explains its meaning and the agenda behind it is rather transparent.

Most lobbyist are after a greater than fair share of the spoils, its juvinille to imply that oil lobbyist are any worse than sugar or environmentlist who like jackasses limit domestic drilling.

I don't think I ever implied that oil lobbyists are worse that other kinds of lobbyists. Though, I think they are more powerful than most.

I'm rejecting the assertion that the millions of dollars Exxon corporate managment spends on DC lobbyists, on political pacs, on CATO and like-minded think tanks, and on global warming denialist consultants, in any way shape or form, is intended to advocate for working class rank and file exxon employees.

I don't think I ever implied that oil lobbyists are worse that other kinds of lobbyists. Though, I think they are more powerful than most.

I'm rejecting the assertion that the millions of dollars Exxon corporate managment spends on DC lobbyists, on political pacs, on CATO and like-minded think tanks, and on global warming denialist consultants, in any way shape or form, is intended to advocate for working class rank and file exxon employees.

Maybe I'm missing something but if its good for the company how is it bad for the employees in what you stated above? If workers own shares either as options or in their 401k's then that benefits them. Exxon staying in business and doing well benefits the workers as they still have a job (basic but still important).

I understand to a secretary or a lower level emiployee as long as he/she keeps his/her job nothing else probably matters. They may not share in any (or much) upside. But its still management's job to do the best for the company as it can.

Maybe I'm missing something but if its good for the company how is it bad for the employees in what you stated above? If workers own shares either as options or in their 401k's then that benefits them. Exxon staying in business and doing well benefits the workers as they still have a job (basic but still important).

I understand to a secretary or a lower level emiployee as long as he/she keeps his/her job nothing else probably matters. They may not share in any (or much) upside. But its still management's job to do the best for the company as it can.

Cawacko, if Exxon could outsource all their jobs, or if they could squeeze salaries and benefits, without sacrificing profitability and productivity, they'd do it in a heart beat.

You seem to be under the impression that Exxon, or any corp., operates on a principle of patriotism and community service. They don't. Their objective is to minimize overhead, and maximize profit. That's what they're supposed to do. Do they try to keep employees happy? Yes. Only to the extent it benefits the corps ultimate bottom line. They'll happily oursource jobs, or squeeze wages when it benefits them. They are in a fundementally adversarial relationship with labor and employees. You should have learned that in Econ 101.

Cawacko, if Exxon could outsource all their jobs, or if they could squeeze salaries and benefits, without sacrificing profitability and productivity, they'd do it in a heart beat.

You seem to be under the impression that Exxon, or any corp., operates on a principle of patriotism and community service. They don't. Their objective is to minimize overhead, and maximize profit. That's what they're supposed to do. Do they try to keep employees happy? Yes. Only to the extent it benefits the corps ultimate bottom line. They'll happily oursource jobs, or squeeze wages when it benefits them. They are in a fundementally adversarial relationship with labor and employees. You should have learned that in Econ 101.

Yes I am aware of that. Maybe I missed what was said before but all that info is known before taking a job with a corporation.

Yes I am aware of that. Maybe I missed what was said before but all that info is known before taking a job with a corporation.

I was under the impression that it had been asserted that all the money exxon corporate management gives to political activities, including rightwing think tanks, political PACS, and global warming denialists, was in the best interest of rank and file working class employees, as much as it was for promoting the stockholders interests in terms of profitability.

I reject that assertion with extreme prejudice.

You can reject anything you want and pretend it just simple black and white which of course its not.
If it's good for the company it's good for the educated worker. It is about power and all lobyist grab what they can. Maybe its a royalty deferrment that many would dissagree with. There's two side to every coin though, like the environmentalist lobby keeping billions of barrels off the market for a warm fuzzy.:clink:

Not only is Bill Gates a huge philanthropist, but he doesn't even have a college degree--- so yeah, that makes him an everyday American.

Back