2011 4Runner or Highlander?

Cancel 2018. 3

<-- sched 2, MJ sched 1
i want to get a new suv with 4 wheel drive. my current suv does not have 4 wheel drive. when i purchased it, it was 6000 less than a 4 wheel drive model, i now regret that decision.

i don't really like the new 4runner....so was thinking the highlander. i rarely off road, the 4 wheel drive will be for off roading on the beach at pismo, oregon beaches, and more importantly, canada in the winter.

4runner - true 4 wheel drive
highlander - a purported "full time" 4 wheel drive system

i've read reviews about the full time system and they generally are not positive. any thoughts?

RWD has better power distribution typically. Of course it is vehicle dependent, but by and large RWD is superior. AWD is better then 4WD because of how it distributes power to all 4 wheels. And AWD is lighter and cheaper to preform work on.

RWD has better power distribution typically. Of course it is vehicle dependent, but by and large RWD is superior. AWD is better then 4WD because of how it distributes power to all 4 wheels. And AWD is lighter and cheaper to preform work on.

RWD will not help you out in extreme wet conditions or snow like canada. nor will it ensure a stuck free trip to the beach. AWD takes the control from you, that bothers me. 4WD allows you to control when all four wheels have power.

is it your opinion that the computer controlling the AWD in the highlander is superior than allowing me to control when my vehicle has 4WD? (note the highlander AWD system is not like the suburu system)

If you want the offroad capability, get the 4WD. But for winter driving the AWD is superior.

i want to get a new suv with 4 wheel drive. my current suv does not have 4 wheel drive. when i purchased it, it was 6000 less than a 4 wheel drive model, i now regret that decision.

i don't really like the new 4runner....so was thinking the highlander. i rarely off road, the 4 wheel drive will be for off roading on the beach at pismo, oregon beaches, and more importantly, canada in the winter.

4runner - true 4 wheel drive
highlander - a purported "full time" 4 wheel drive system

i've read reviews about the full time system and they generally are not positive. any thoughts?

I think a fully loaded Vespa would be the most appropriate vehicle for you Yurt.

You live in America. Buy an american car. The Ford Expedition has almost perfect weight distrubution. If your concern is fuel milage, ford makes a hybrid SUV.

You live in America. Buy an american car. The Ford Expedition has almost perfect weight distrubution. If your concern is fuel milage, ford makes a hybrid SUV.

ok fascist.....toyota makes cars in the US as well

its absurd to demand people buy only american.

ok fascist.....toyota makes cars in the US as well

its absurd to demand people buy only american.

May I remind you of this thread and your earlier comment:

wow, that toyota sucks

that dancing is hilarious

I currently have three vehicles with some version of four wheel drive:

2008 Ford 500 with AWD and CVT. The AWD is an option from the FWD model. Its obviously not an off road vehicle and meant for driving on slippery roads. It works fine on ice and snow but my wife drives it mainly. When she has the option she prefers one of the SUVs with actual 4WD capability.

2004 Ford Explorer. This is a full frame vehicle, in base configuration RWD, IRS. It is full time AWD switchable to 4WD or 4WD low. I've never taken it off road. I have pulled a 3500# trailer in 6" snow both up and down mountain roads and it is very stable. We've used it to haul dirt around the property with a skidder by using the 4WD low and it worked well.

2007 Ford Expedition. Like the Explorer, this is a full frame vehicle, in base configuration RWD, IRS, but it is much larger and more powerful. Unlike the Explorer it has a 2WD mode to save gas. The only "off road" that I have taken it are slippery dirt roads and washed out gravel roads. When it rains I switch it to AWD, when it snows I switch to 4WD. I've used 4WD low to pull huge logs around the property (24" diameter by 30' long, half rotted and soaking wet) with no problem. It has a sophisticated electronic anti-lock and stability control system that keeps the wheels individually from spinning. I've climbed 20% grades on paved roads with 6" of fresh snow with no problem.

Bottom line: AWD is OK in slippery conditions, 4WD is better.

Last edited:
Dude, Ford trucks are simply the best ones out there. Don't be fooled by any foreign owned companies record with cars. If you want an SUV or truck buy Ford.

Why the heck did you buy an SUV without 4x4? That makes no sense. It's like buying a sports car with a 4 cylinder engine, or a gun that has a sealed barrel.

They make lots of them without 4WD Damo. When I bought my Expedition from the largest dealer in the area he didn't have a 4WD for me to test drive.

I've had SUVs since before they were called SUVs, starting with a 1990 Bronco, and every one has been 4WD in some configuration. Except one, a 2002 Explorer with RWD and IRS. My job had changed so I needed a big vehicle to haul tools so I sold my Mustang GT and I walked into the dealer to test drive an F150 fleet truck. I drove it and it was OK but I was intrigued by the new design of the Explorer with the IRS so drove one. It was the best riding vehicle I ever drove, including several large RWD sedans, and I just had to have it even though it was more than I had planned to spend. Two years later I traded it in because my job changed again and I needed 4WD, so I got the exact same thing except 4WD. It drives well (I still have it) but its not the limousine ride of the 2WD.

Dude, Ford trucks are simply the best ones out there. Don't be fooled by any foreign owned companies record with cars. If you want an SUV or truck buy Ford.

Why the heck did you buy an SUV without 4x4? That makes no sense. It's like buying a sports car with a 4 cylinder engine, or a gun that has a sealed barrel.

central coast cali you don't need 4WD like in colo. or the nw or canada...plus, at the time i had an older model 4WD that i used for my once in a while off roading. SUV's are nice to drive, i like the space and my wife get's car sick in cars because they sit lower to the road and like i said, since i don't 4WD that often here, the $6000 savings made sense.

ford is not the best, there is a reason why ford has acronyms....my stepdad bought a limited expedition and had nothing but problems...toyota makes a great truck....in fact, if you go to the NW coast, you'll see most fisherman or divers drive toyota trucks, why? because they last a long time and keep their value.

May I remind you of this thread and your earlier comment:

I currently have three vehicles with some version of four wheel drive:

2008 Ford 500 with AWD and CVT. The AWD is an option from the FWD model. Its obviously not an off road vehicle and meant for driving on slippery roads. It works fine on ice and snow but my wife drives it mainly. When she has the option she prefers one of the SUVs with actual 4WD capability.

2004 Ford Explorer. This is a full frame vehicle, in base configuration RWD, IRS. It is full time AWD switchable to 4WD or 4WD low. I've never taken it off road. I have pulled a 3500# trailer in 6" snow both up and down mountain roads and it is very stable. We've used it to haul dirt around the property with a skidder by using the 4WD low and it worked well.

2007 Ford Expedition. Like the Explorer, this is a full frame vehicle, in base configuration RWD, IRS, but it is much larger and more powerful. Unlike the Explorer it has a 2WD mode to save gas. The only "off road" that I have taken it are slippery dirt roads and washed out gravel roads. When it rains I switch it to AWD, when it snows I switch to 4WD. I've used 4WD low to pull huge logs around the property (24" diameter by 30' long, half rotted and soaking wet) with no problem. It has a sophisticated electronic anti-lock and stability control system that keeps the wheels individually from spinning. I've climbed 20% grades on paved roads with 6" of fresh snow with no problem.

Bottom line: AWD is OK in slippery conditions, 4WD is better.

thanks for the info, but one toyota does not change my mind.

They make lots of them without 4WD Damo. When I bought my Expedition from the largest dealer in the area he didn't have a 4WD for me to test drive.

I've had SUVs since before they were called SUVs, starting with a 1990 Bronco, and every one has been 4WD in some configuration. Except one, a 2002 Explorer with RWD and IRS. My job had changed so I needed a big vehicle to haul tools so I sold my Mustang GT and I walked into the dealer to test drive an F150 fleet truck. I drove it and it was OK but I was intrigued by the new design of the Explorer with the IRS so drove one. It was the best riding vehicle I ever drove, including several large RWD sedans, and I just had to have it even though it was more than I had planned to spend. Two years later I traded it in because my job changed again and I needed 4WD, so I got the exact same thing except 4WD. It drives well (I still have it) but its not the limousine ride of the 2WD.
I know they make them without it, I just can't imagine buying one without it. If all you want is a bunch of seats, get a minivan, there's no need for SUVs without 4x4.

You don't buy trucks for their "limousine ride", you buy them for their utility.

I know they make them without it, I just can't imagine buying one without it. If all you want is a bunch of seats, get a minivan, there's no need for SUVs without 4x4.

you carazy

i will not be caught dead owning a minivan, plus they no way no how handle as nice

you carazy

i will not be caught dead owning a minivan, plus they no way no how handle as nice
Who cares if it "handles nice"?

It's like saying a pea shooter is the same thing as a gun because you can hit the target every time.

I don't get people who would buy a utility vehicle and expect it to act like a car and see no need for huge portions of the REASON they exist.

A SUV without 4x4 is a mini-van. It's just a disguised mini-van.

Back