2011 4Runner or Highlander?

Just as an aside, Yurt, it is my understanding that the FJ Crusier is built on the Highlander platform. I bought an 2007 FJ back in '06 and have had not one problem with the vehicle. Not one.

I sometimes wonder if that is because it was built in Japan rather than in one of the U.S. plants...

The Explorer is now built on a FWD chassis to save weight and increase mileage. The AWD version is only $2000 more. It looks like it has a very sophisticated traction control system. I'm definitely going to look at one when it's time to trade in my Expedition.

This is a free country, but what is so wrong about supporting it and its workers? I'm lost why Americans whine about jobs, but support foreign companies over American companies. If we all got together, we could solve this unemployment and still allow the freedom to support your favorite foreign car. LOL (Oh I know)

Join me, please.

I was riding home today after a middle distance bicycle ride, tired and a bit out of shape when I started counting cars, America - foreign, American - foreign. It occurred to me if only a small percentage of these people, the people who can afford more than a used clunker, bought American there would be no problems in one of our largest industries today. And lots of people would have a job and lots of businesses would be OK. May even help those incompetent bankers.

So I started giving thumbs up for American and thumbs down for foreign. Hard to distinguish which foreign car is made here, but no need I am a bit of a hard core American when it comes to cars. My '55' Chevy was my first love.

I'm sure the people thought me spastic, as my left hand thumb pointed up, then down, then up as cars drove by. Did anyone figure it out I wondered. Who is this nut! So if the whiners who lost the election can out of the blue, protest taxes, can we not protest something that has been going on for years due to cheaper prices, support structures, and no pensions, but still is having an insidious affect on our industrial base?

So if you own foreign go to you nearest mirror and give yourself a thumbs down, and if you own American and thus support all of us and America, a thumbs up is due and thank you. Take to the streets and express yourself. The bankers thank you too.

Oh, and my bicycle is made in America too.

Last edited:
I have to agree! They depreciate as soon as you drive them off the lot!

used cars depreciate as well, unless its a collector car

i prefer to be the only owner, own for about 7-10 years. i used to own only used cars, i got tired of all the maintence. sure, there is maintence with keeping a car 7-10 years, but its usually less than buying a used car. and the vehicles i'm buying are not that expensive. you would be 100% correct if i was buying land rover.

used cars depreciate as well, unless its a collector car

i prefer to be the only owner, own for about 7-10 years. i used to own only used cars, i got tired of all the maintence. sure, there is maintence with keeping a car 7-10 years, but its usually less than buying a used car. and the vehicles i'm buying are not that expensive. you would be 100% correct if i was buying land rover.

Mercedes, Audi, etc...I have done both and was much happier with my used car which I have had for ten years and other than regular maintenance, no work needed, so far, but it is a good old Ford, nothing fancy, a car Bud can still do maintenance on and it doesn't cost us a fortune, I owned a Mercedes and wouldn't ever own one, again. My friends own Land Rovers, talk about two pieces of shit! I would never own one.

Mercedes, Audi, etc...I have done both and was much happier with my used car which I have had for ten years and other than regular maintenance, no work needed, so far, but it is a good old Ford, nothing fancy, a car Bud can still do maintenance on and it doesn't cost us a fortune, I owned a Mercedes and wouldn't ever own one, again. My friends own Land Rovers, talk about two pieces of shit! I would never own one.

fair enough. and i agree about land rovers...money pits

Buying used requires more than a cursory knowledge of what you're buying whether it be cars or anything else. But a savvy purchaser will always come out ahead. 20,000 break in miles can cost as much as $10,000 depending on the car. But unless there are production issues to begin with, those miles won't hurt the car.

I'm like Yurt only much more of a tightwad, I bout an xterra. At $22,500 it was by far the most expensive vehicle I've owned. I like new cheap cars. LOL
The used crowed is right from a financial cheapest to own point.
By a quality used car with low miles and your depreciation will be a fraction of the first years hit.

Back