5 Ways People Are Trying to Save the World (That Don't Work)

I won't use them just to make me feel good, since money is also a limited resource.

If its a significant amount I might not. But I am willing to spend more to get a product that is also helping prevent more cutting. My money is a renewable resource.

If its a significant amount I might not. But I am willing to spend more to get a product that is also helping prevent more cutting. My money is a renewable resource.
And trees are not?

Isn't money spent a good measure of resources used? The cost of a Trex 5/4 x 6 includes the materials used in its manufacture (recycled plastic, saw dust, glues and dyes), along with the fuel to make it and transport it, amortization of special machinery and the factory building, plus labor.

And trees are not?

Isn't money spent a good measure of resources used? The cost of a Trex 5/4 x 6 includes the materials used in its manufacture (recycled plastic, saw dust, glues and dyes), along with the fuel to make it and transport it, amortization of special machinery and the factory building, plus labor.

Yes, trees are renewable. But they take much longer than my cash supply. Plus, the current methods for replenishing trees is to plant neat rows of fast growing trees. Usually a single species. This replenishes the wood resources, but does not address the ecosystem destroyed and not replaced.

It may cost a bit more in cash, labor or even fuel, but in the long run the savings are huge. You cannot buy diverse, old growth forests. They have to be grown over a long period of time.

Yes, trees are renewable. But they take much longer than my cash supply. Plus, the current methods for replenishing trees is to plant neat rows of fast growing trees. Usually a single species. This replenishes the wood resources, but does not address the ecosystem destroyed and not replaced.

It may cost a bit more in cash, labor or even fuel, but in the long run the savings are huge. You cannot buy diverse, old growth forests. They have to be grown over a long period of time.
Over the last few decades mush of the Amazon region has been deforested to make farmland, following the European economic model of beef and dairy. Most of the wood has been piled up and burned. If there was a market for these products, then there would be a profit in a different economic model, which would be to selectively harvested forestry. It's people like you who worship trees with a religious fervor that has caused the destruction of the forest.

Over the last few decades mush of the Amazon region has been deforested to make farmland, following the European economic model of beef and dairy. Most of the wood has been piled up and burned. If there was a market for these products, then there would be a profit in a different economic model, which would be to selectively harvested forestry. It's people like you who worship trees with a religious fervor that has caused the destruction of the forest.

You must be reading someone else's posts and getting confused.

I am educated enough to understand that planting rows of pine trees does not replace an entire old growth ecosystem. And I am educated enough to understand that the long term risks and damages from destroying an ecosystem can be severe.

I don't know where in the hell you got the "worship trees with a religious fervor" bullshit, but is does not describe what I have written.

I dont like the "we've increased the number of trees over the last 50 years as logging companies plant more to ensure future supply" line.

It is technically true. But replacing a diverse old growth forest with pine trees planted in neat rows is hardly helping. Ecosystems are being screwed up, but there is a higher tree count. Not quite a positive move.

Well the forests are already cut down. If we hadn't already logged such a huge swath of land, there would be something to lose.

I don't know where in the hell you got the "worship trees with a religious fervor" bullshit, but is does not describe what I have written.
It's the only way to explain why someone would pay more for a recycled material and continue to spout about limited tree diversification after the obvious solution has been mentioned.

It's the only way to explain why someone would pay more for a recycled material and continue to spout about limited tree diversification after the obvious solution has been mentioned.

The idea of buying a more diverse wood is simplistic. Most of the trees felled are for paper products or reconstituted wood (plywood ect).

I am willing to pay a little more, as I said. But I am not talking about spending a fortune.

You are way off base.

The idea of buying a more diverse wood is simplistic. Most of the trees felled are for paper products or reconstituted wood (plywood ect).

I am willing to pay a little more, as I said. But I am not talking about spending a fortune.

You are way off base.
Not at all. exotic woods for furniture and flooring are very desirable. And plywood is not "reconstituted", but an engineered product. Maybe you need to educate yourself about this instead of listening to some liberal crap about recycled this and that.

Not at all. exotic woods for furniture and flooring are very desirable. And plywood is not "reconstituted", but an engineered product. Maybe you need to educate yourself about this instead of listening to some liberal crap about recycled this and that.

You are a hostile little prick, aren't you? I have tried to be polite and just debate facts, and you simply read what you want and then try to sound intelligent while arguing semantics.

I did not say exotoc woods are undesireable or make any comment about furniture or flooring. I posted that most trees felled are used in ways that exotics would not be used. Paper, plywood (engineered or reconstituted), laminate materials and the like.

Plywood is made from strips that are laminated or glued together. You can call it "engineered" if you want. But what I posted about plywood still stands.

I am well educated. It is you who attempt to categorize people so that you can play this game of trying to demonize anyone who disagrees with you.

I noticed a gradual transition from wild sex-beast
jackhammer.jpg

to methodical lover.
metronome.jpg

You are a hostile little prick, aren't you? I have tried to be polite and just debate facts, and you simply read what you want and then try to sound intelligent while arguing semantics.

I did not say exotoc woods are undesireable or make any comment about furniture or flooring. I posted that most trees felled are used in ways that exotics would not be used. Paper, plywood (engineered or reconstituted), laminate materials and the like.

Plywood is made from strips that are laminated or glued together. You can call it "engineered" if you want. But what I posted about plywood still stands.

I am well educated. It is you who attempt to categorize people so that you can play this game of trying to demonize anyone who disagrees with you.

No reason for you to get belligerent little man. Plywood is made from large sheets of veneer, not "strips", and requires a top quality log.

Again, if you're concerned about diverse ecosystems then you'd be buying exotic woods, for the reasons stated. *shrug*

I noticed a gradual transition from wild sex-beast to methodical lover.

Well, lets not diss methodical lovers (it takes class and sophistication, not age), seeing as how I fall into that category rather than wild sex-beast. I am willing to make exceptions on an individual basis, but that just means methodical lover...

Well, lets not diss methodical lovers (it takes class and sophistication, not age), seeing as how I fall into that category rather than wild sex-beast. I am willing to make exceptions on an individual basis, but that just means methodical lover...
This must be something wrong with you, because when I was your age "the machine" was more like a Gatling gun then a metronome.

No reason for you to get belligerent little man. Plywood is made from large sheets of veneer, not "strips", and requires a top quality log.

Again, if you're concerned about diverse ecosystems then you'd be buying exotic woods, for the reasons stated. *shrug*

The exotic woods would be harder to replace. especially since many are slow growing.

My post about the uses of woods stands. 42% of wood cut today ends up as paper. Furniture takes about 9% of the wood currently cut.

Your continued focus on my inaccurate information about plywood does not change anything. Purchasing recycled materials will leave more natural old growth forests intact.

The exotic woods would be harder to replace. especially since many are slow growing.

My post about the uses of woods stands. 42% of wood cut today ends up as paper. Furniture takes about 9% of the wood currently cut.

Your continued focus on my inaccurate information about plywood does not change anything. Purchasing recycled materials will leave more natural old growth forests intact.
9% is a pretty big number. Exotic amazon region woods grow very fast because the growing season is 12 months out of the year. Purchasing exotic woods promotes them to be planted, grown and harvested. Why is that so difficult for you to understand?

9% is a pretty big number. Exotic amazon region woods grow very fast because the growing season is 12 months out of the year. Purchasing exotic woods promotes them to be planted, grown and harvested. Why is that so difficult for you to understand?

What is difficult to understand about using recycled goods? If I do not use lumber to build a deck, there will be less lumber sold and less cut. I am willing to spend a little more to accomplish that.

Back