A couple of questions for the foodies here.

• Thread starter Thread starter WinterBorn
  • Start date Start date
W

WinterBorn

Has anyone had any of the black tomatoes? I ordered my tomato seeds for this year, and go some for Cherokee Purple tomatoes. I have been curious for a while.

Also, on a chinese buffet, why do they always put the chinese doughnuts on the section with the savory foods, and not with the desserts? This seems to be a trait of chinese buffets all over the eastern half of the US at least.

Has anyone had any of the black tomatoes? I ordered my tomato seeds for this year, and go some for Cherokee Purple tomatoes. I have been curious for a while.

Also, on a chinese buffet, why do they always put the chinese doughnuts on the section with the savory foods, and not with the desserts? This seems to be a trait of chinese buffets all over the eastern half of the US at least.
Can't answer the black tomato question. The doughnut question is easy. You notice they are often made out of canned biscuit dough? Well you use them the same way you would biscuits with stew. To sop up the gravy or sauces of the savory dishes. Particularly the spicy hot ones like kung pao chicken or hot pepper chicken.

My mother used to make those at home for a cheap snack when I was a kid.

"heirloom" tomatoes are popular....the argument is that tomatoes have been bred for color instead of flavor and the original or "heirloom" tomatoes give you better flavor than the stuff we are used to....not sure if it's true or just hype....I think any homegrown tomato that's not picked green and reddened with chemical sprays is going to taste as good as an heirloom.....

We do have quite a few quality Restaurants here in Columbus. I know Cameron Mitchell has quite a few here but if I was to recommend just two Restaurants in Columbus that are both good eats and will give you a good feel for the city it would be;

Thurman's Cafe home of the Thurman Burger

http://www.thethurmancafe.com/

and Schmidts Sausage Haus home of the Bahama mamma (their cream puffs and strudel are to die for too!)

http://www.schmidthaus.com/

Last edited:
The Thurmonator!

thurmanatoremail.jpg

and if you want to know...the Thurmonator is almost 5 lbs. The regular Thurmon Burger is a hair under 2 lbs and they serve Leinenkugel on draft.

"heirloom" tomatoes are popular....the argument is that tomatoes have been bred for color instead of flavor and the original or "heirloom" tomatoes give you better flavor than the stuff we are used to....not sure if it's true or just hype....I think any homegrown tomato that's not picked green and reddened with chemical sprays is going to taste as good as an heirloom.....
I agree. I prefer growing plum tomatoes and picking them as they vine ripen. It's hard to beat plums for all around flavor.

I like the menu at the Mission Ranch and the prices are quite reasonable too.

I have to tell you that each of these places were uniquely wonderful. Mission Ranch comped us our desert and wine...long story-the atmosphere there is old school...it's owned by Clint Eastwood. They have a piano bar and small intimate places for tables. I had lobster and a filet mignon and my daughter had the sea scallops...but best was the desert...creme brulee' with fresh berries...yum.

The Italian place in Morgan Hill was imo the best food-again we were comped some of our choices and the owner sent out to one of his other restaurants for a special desert (homemade vanilla ice cream with lemon curd layers and a merangue topping)

The Wayfare Tavern was completely comped because the manager is my daughter's older half brother :) You have to like steak tartare and the like to appreciate the menu.

I haven't had a good creme brulee in a while. Pappadeauxs in Houston makes a excellent one.

I found an odd little place in Rustburg VA, that looked like it used to be a used car lot. Square little building with a gravel parking lot. But the most amazing food and a wine & liquor list that would put most big places to shame. Best grilled salmon ever.

I agree. I prefer growing plum tomatoes and picking them as they vine ripen. It's hard to beat plums for all around flavor.

For cooking I love San Marzanos. But a good heirloom beefsteak is hard to beat for sandwiches.

I haven't had a good creme brulee in a while. Pappadeauxs in Houston makes a excellent one.

I found an odd little place in Rustburg VA, that looked like it used to be a used car lot. Square little building with a gravel parking lot. But the most amazing food and a wine & liquor list that would put most big places to shame. Best grilled salmon ever.

I just uploaded a picture of our creme brulee to my album...my daughter LOVES food and took pictures for her FB page everywhere we went and ate...even us eating the best ever subs on the beach in Carmel...

PMP is probably accurate. though, when buying tomatoes in the store, heirlooms will usually taste better. homegrown tomatoes are excellent. this summer i am going to try and grow my own heirlooms. i have a hunch PMP will be right, as virtually any home grown tomato tastes excellent.

PMP is probably accurate. though, when buying tomatoes in the store, heirlooms will usually taste better. homegrown tomatoes are excellent. this summer i am going to try and grow my own heirlooms. i have a hunch PMP will be right, as virtually any home grown tomato tastes excellent.

Yurt, try this place for seeds. They may be a little pricier than Burpee or one of the other chains, but I have had excellent luck with them.

http://www.pennystomatoes.com/index.html

unfortunately I cant seem to grow good tomatoes either......yard is too shady to keep them happy...I've given up on most everything except hostas....I have over thirty different varieties of those.......we do have a great farmer's market in town, though....

my backyard...
7235_1048908962204_1810120622_105229_4277091_n.jpg

Last edited:

I can't say all homegrown tomatoes taste excellent. When I was much younger, my landlord grew, in his back yard, some of the most plump beautiful bright red tomatoes you ever saw... these things looked like something you'd see in a magazine, they were beautiful tomatoes. One day as I was coming home from work, I saw him picking some, and commented on how pretty they looked, and he handed me a couple. Man, I was thrilled, had been thinking about a nice tomato sandwich for days, every time I saw his tomatoes. So I sliced one of them up and made me a sandwich as soon as I got in the door. It tasted like sewer! Come to find out, he had grown his tomatoes on top of his field lines from his septic tank. :barf:

Tomatoes have never been the same for me... I still love a good one, but I gotta know where they were grown!

I can't say all homegrown tomatoes taste excellent. When I was much younger, my landlord grew, in his back yard, some of the most plump beautiful bright red tomatoes you ever saw... these things looked like something you'd see in a magazine, they were beautiful tomatoes. One day as I was coming home from work, I saw him picking some, and commented on how pretty they looked, and he handed me a couple. Man, I was thrilled, had been thinking about a nice tomato sandwich for days, every time I saw his tomatoes. So I sliced one of them up and made me a sandwich as soon as I got in the door. It tasted like sewer! Come to find out, he had grown his tomatoes on top of his field lines from his septic tank. :barf:

Tomatoes have never been the same for me... I still love a good one, but I gotta know where they were grown!
I had a similar experience with a friend who grew some hydroponic tomatoes. He picked them before he gave them enough time to flush out the fertilizers and whatever he had in his water system. Damned thing tasted like semi-rotten fish. Putrid.

Back