A couple of questions for the foodies here.

• Thread starter Thread starter WinterBorn
  • Start date Start date
unfortunately I cant seem to grow good tomatoes either......yard is too shady to keep them happy...I've given up on most everything except hostas....I have over thirty different varieties of those.......we do have a great farmer's market in town, though....

my backyard...
7235_1048908962204_1810120622_105229_4277091_n.jpg

WOW! Beautiful back yard...I LOVE hosta's

Tomatoes are sensitive to whats around them and used on them. Organic is the only way to go. A good compost makes a huge difference. And I don't use any pesticides on mine. A little dishwashing soap and water in a spray bottle kills most bugs.

Tomatoes are sensitive to whats around them and used on them. Organic is the only way to go. A good compost makes a huge difference. And I don't use any pesticides on mine. A little dishwashing soap and water in a spray bottle kills most bugs.
That's what I do. I mix some sand, topsoil, compost and vermiculite in a 5 gal bucket and work it into the soil before planting. Early in the season I'll use some fish emulsion for growth and I use a homemade combination of dish soap, cayenne pepper and tobacco that has worked amazingly well as a pesticide.

That's what I do. I mix some sand, topsoil, compost and vermiculite in a 5 gal bucket and work it into the soil before planting. Early in the season I'll use some fish emulsion for growth and I use a homemade combination of dish soap, cayenne pepper and tobacco that has worked amazingly well as a pesticide.

I haven't used tobacco in my pesticide. I'll have to try that. I know adding cayenne pepper to my bird feeder keeps the squirrels away. The birds love it and the rodents can't tolerate it.

WOW! Beautiful back yard...I LOVE hosta's

thanks, so do I, one of the countries largest hosta growers is in our hometown...and many other nurseries....end of season sales are fantastic around here....a few years ago I got 40 pots of Asiatic lilies for a dollar each......I also have some heirloom perennials......one fern leafed peony I can personally attest is over fifty years old, I remember helping my dad plant it and I transplanted it here when they sold the farm.....a clump of iris from an abandoned farm house that I expect is over a hundred years old.....and a hosta division I swapped with a friend who's grandma had them at least seventy years......

Last edited:
unfortunately I cant seem to grow good tomatoes either......yard is too shady to keep them happy...I've given up on most everything except hostas....I have over thirty different varieties of those.......we do have a great farmer's market in town, though....

my backyard...
7235_1048908962204_1810120622_105229_4277091_n.jpg

Wow, that is just beautiful. You have a nice variety of hostas. Do you have any dwarfs(ves)?

I've been seeing this in the catalogues and hope to give it a try. It's called 'White Feather' and changes from white to pale green.

79583.jpg

thanks, so do I, one of the countries largest hosta growers is in our hometown...and many other nurseries....end of season sales are fantastic around here....a few years ago I got 40 pots of Asiatic lilies for a dollar each......I also have some heirloom perennials......one fern leafed peony I can personally attest is over fifty years old, I remember helping my dad plant it and I transplanted it here when they sold the farm.....a clump of iris from an abandoned farm house that I expect is over a hundred years old.....and a hosta division I swapped with a friend who's grandma had them at least seventy years......

Nice. I have snowdrops that have racked up some frequent transplant miles over the years, starting with my in-laws and then making several moves with my own family.

Asiatic and Oriental lilies are so beautiful and you can get wonderful colors. Do you have 'Stargazer'? It has a great scent.

To answer your original post, use the confectionery to soak up the spicy sauce, the combination of sweet/spicy is good and it cuts down on the spice if it is too much for you. Asians generally like lighter desserts, those "doughnuts" as you are calling them aren't usually dessert.

I haven't used tobacco in my pesticide. I'll have to try that. I know adding cayenne pepper to my bird feeder keeps the squirrels away. The birds love it and the rodents can't tolerate it.
The soap and pepper just discourage pests cause it tastes bad. The nicotene in the tobacco poisons them. I just take an empty 2 liter coke bottle and I add 1or 2 tbs dish soap, 1 tbsp cayenne pepper and I drop in the butt of a freshly smoked cigar (any plug of tobacco will do). I fill it with water, cap it up, give it a good shake and let it sit for a day before transferring the liquid to a spray bottle. It keeps both 4 and 6 legged pests away.

The soap and pepper just discourage pests cause it tastes bad. The nicotene in the tobacco poisons them. I just take an empty 2 liter coke bottle and I add 1or 2 tbs dish soap, 1 tbsp cayenne pepper and I drop in the butt of a freshly smoked cigar (any plug of tobacco will do). I fill it with water, cap it up, give it a good shake and let it sit for a day before transferring the liquid to a spray bottle. It keeps both 4 and 6 legged pests away.

Hard shelled insects also breathe thru their shells or skin, and the soapy waters ruins that. Soft insects, or so I have read, get a terminal case of the runs from the soapy water.

And it rinses off the veggies.

A Jerry Baker solution. :)

Back to foodie topics. I've known of the French Press for Coffee for sometime now but have only drank coffee before via percholator (yuck), ADC and expresso (steam). Well I recently bought one and OMG, I'm kicking my self for not getting one sooner. The up side....best cup of coffee you'll ever have. You pour in your course grind of beans, pour boiling water over it, give it a stir, let it sit a few minutes, give it another stir, place the press on top and when you push the press down it emulsifies the oils from the coffee with the liquid which really brings out that fresh roasted/brewed flavor of the coffee.

The down side is you can't make a big pot of coffee and keep it hot on the burner like you do with ADC. You have to make it in batches but it's worth the trouble. I was really surprised at the difference in quality, it wasn't subtle but not like you think. It wasn't like it was stronger like you expect with expresso. It was more fresh and robust.

Hard shelled insects also breathe thru their shells or skin, and the soapy waters ruins that. Soft insects, or so I have read, get a terminal case of the runs from the soapy water.

And it rinses off the veggies.
Yep, that's exactly it and as long as your not growing the same thing in the exact same place year after year they don't develop resistance to it either. Rodents who try to munch it also get a big nasty taste. I had more problems with rabbits then insects in my garden. This pesticide and a little patrol work by my Min-Rat took care of that (except for one little psychotic ground squirrel.). I was going to set a trap to kill the little prick but he kept out smarting me and my dog so I had to give him his due.

A Jerry Baker solution. :)
Well I don't know who Jerry is but I thought of it more as a surfactant/capsicum/nicotine solution. :)

Actually my father in-law is a farmer and he taught me this one. I seriously doubt he's ever heard of Jerry Baker. He's a master gardener though. You should see his fruit orchard.

Last edited:
Back to foodie topics. I've known of the French Press for Coffee for sometime now but have only drank coffee before via percholator (yuck), ADC and expresso (steam). Well I recently bought one and OMG, I'm kicking my self for not getting one sooner. The up side....best cup of coffee you'll ever have. You pour in your course grind of beans, pour boiling water over it, give it a stir, let it sit a few minutes, give it another stir, place the press on top and when you push the press down it emulsifies the oils from the coffee with the liquid which really brings out that fresh roasted/brewed flavor of the coffee.

The down side is you can't make a big pot of coffee and keep it hot on the burner like you do with ADC. You have to make it in batches but it's worth the trouble. I was really surprised at the difference in quality, it wasn't subtle but not like you think. It wasn't like it was stronger like you expect with expresso. It was more fresh and robust.

I am surprised you haven't been using a french press for years, Mott. It seems like your kinda system.

It does make the best cup of coffee. Yeah, you have to make a new batch for every cup, but its worth it. But if you really want to make some and have it while you work or whatever, get one of the vacuum pump thermos things. Then you make several cups and put it in the thermos.

Or you can make it a LOT stronger, then run pure water thru your drip coffee maker and pour the french press coffee into the hot water in the carafe, and leave it on to stay hot.

I am surprised you haven't been using a french press for years, Mott. It seems like your kinda system.

It does make the best cup of coffee. Yeah, you have to make a new batch for every cup, but its worth it. But if you really want to make some and have it while you work or whatever, get one of the vacuum pump thermos things. Then you make several cups and put it in the thermos.

Or you can make it a LOT stronger, then run pure water thru your drip coffee maker and pour the french press coffee into the hot water in the carafe, and leave it on to stay hot.
I'm one step ahead of you. I all ready had a vacuum pack thermos and that's exactly what I do. I make about 4 cups in the French press. Pour myself one and pour the other 3 in the thermos.

I also saw a small one they have for sale that I can take to work. I can grind some coffee in the am and put it in a ziploc baggie. They have a Buhn In-Line Coffee machine in the break room with a hot water spigot for tea drinkers. I can pour grounds into the little press, add some hot water and viola! The problem with that is I'm trying to cut back on my coffee addiction so I nixed the idea of taking one to work.

Asiatic and Oriental lilies are so beautiful and you can get wonderful colors. Do you have 'Stargazer'? It has a great scent.

oh yes....I also like the fact it is shorter and doesn't need staking.....last summer our church redid it's landscaping and I got half a dozen "lily trees"...they grow about five feet tall, but they are hard to keep upright....

I'm one step ahead of you. I all ready had a vacuum pack thermos and that's exactly what I do. I make about 4 cups in the French press. Pour myself one and pour the other 3 in the thermos.

I also saw a small one they have for sale that I can take to work. I can grind some coffee in the am and put it in a ziploc baggie. They have a Buhn In-Line Coffee machine in the break room with a hot water spigot for tea drinkers. I can pour grounds into the little press, add some hot water and viola! The problem with that is I'm trying to cut back on my coffee addiction so I nixed the idea of taking one to work.

I really should be cutting back on my coffee too. But as time goes by I keep discovering more sources for delicious coffee.

Not ready to cut back just yet. lol

Back