A good Tequila

Mott the Hoople

Sweet Jane
My wife and I are going to the Indy 500 next weekend. It's interesting how things have changed thanks to the Brickyard and the IRl/Champ Car split. In 1990 you couldn't get a front stretch ticket at any price unless you new somebody in a corporation who could comp you a ticket or you're family had been going there for 50 years. This year I got tickets across from the Pagoda no sweat so I'm going to enjoy it.

To help with that my better half (more like better 3/4 but that's another thread) and I are going to Indy the night before the race. That's the closest party to Mardi Gras there is in the midwest and to celebrate I want to bring a good bottle of tequila with me. There's a lot of BS and price snobbery over tequila and what I would like to hear are opinions on what are good 100% blue agave tequilas and which ones are you paying an extra $20 for the damned hand crafted bottle. So here's my thoughts on tequila and please throw in your two bits to guide me.

El Toro - rut gut tequila, more cheap rum than agave. Price cheap

Jose Cuervo - One step above El Toro. Good for making Margaritas but not really good for sipping. Price reasonable

El Jimador - It used to be 100% blue agave but now the mash is mixed with sugar cane. It's a good working mans tequila good for mixed drinks and good for sipping but not great. Price is reasonable and is probably the best value as I don't think you'll find a better tequila at an equal or cheaper price.

Cuervo 1800 - Sorry folks, it just don't do it for me. I expect a tequila at this price to be smooth with a good finish and I don't think 1800 does either. It's more over rated then Danica Patrick.

Cazadores - Good enough that I wouldn't waste it making a margarita. 100% blue agave and very good sipping. Price is a bit steep but not rediculous. This is my front runner so far.

Cabo Wabo - Distillled by the Red Rocker himself. Very good but not that much better than Cazadores that I'd pay $15/bottle more. Is excellent for sipping as it has a slight natural sweet flavor and a buttery finish.

So are there any thoughts out there? I really don't want to pay more than $25-$35 for a 750 ml bottle.

and though I appreciate that there are other fine whiskeys out there they don't have the same affect as being liquid panty remover where my lovely bride is concerned so lets stick to tequila.

BTW, Most of my Tijano friends drink either El Jimador or Cazadores and that's why I give them high favor if you know what I mean?

Last edited:
Oh, and if it ain't Añejo or better (Reserva is aged up to eight years), don't bother. This applies to all tequilas.

Last edited:
what damo said. OMFG teq is nasty as shit. Who drinks tequila and goes "wow that was really good?"

Norman got it. Patron Silver is a very good medium level tequila. Its a Blanco that is consistent and smooth.

Don Julio is a much better tequila but the quality costs (like most things).

Patron Reposada is much better. But it costs a little more.

If you can find El Tesoro Platinum buy it. That is the best sipping tequila I have ever tasted. No idea what it costs since I didn't buy it. (looking online I see it for sale for under $50)

what damo said. OMFG teq is nasty as shit. Who drinks tequila and goes "wow that was really good?"

Oh yea....and you must have missed the part about it being "Liquid Panty Remover". Which, and correct me if I'm mistaken, is certainly the most important property of any form of alcoholic beverage.

Norman got it. Patron Silver is a very good medium level tequila. Its a Blanco that is consistent and smooth.

Don Julio is a much better tequila but the quality costs (like most things).

Patron Reposada is much better. But it costs a little more.

If you can find El Tesoro Platinum buy it. That is the best sipping tequila I have ever tasted. No idea what it costs since I didn't buy it. (looking online I see it for sale for under $50)

I prefer Reposada to Blanco and if I remember right, a bottle of Patron is right at the high end of my budget. We may have a winner here.

Cabo Wabo Gold and Silver are both good. Petron is pretty effing solid too. Cabo Wabo and Petron are definitely on the more expensive end of the spectrum though.

Cabo Wabo Gold and Silver are both good. Petron is pretty effing solid too. Cabo Wabo and Petron are definitely on the more expensive end of the spectrum though.

I have to admit that I have not tried Patron. I have tried Cabo Wabo gold and did not find it $15 to $20/bottle better than Cazadores Reposada. Though it was certainly very good. The thing I like about a top notch tequila is that balanced flavor of slightly bitter, slightly sweet and slightly buttery but mainly I like the affect it has on my wifes libido. The cheap shit just knocks her on her ass, the good stuff makes her want to dance!

I have been drinking Patron for a number of years. Its what I get when I go out with the guys. A shot to get me smilin and then sip on something nonalcoholic. I can do shots and maintain the same buzz all night.

And its smooth, tasty stuff.

Back