A pho-tog-raph of me during my band years

Marching band is one of the biggest deals at my high school, as our music program is exceptional. They played at the 1989 Inaugural, and have gone all over the place besides. Plus, being the Highlanders, the full kilt, gear, and colours stands out, as well as the pipers. My brother and sister both played in it, but, as always, I stand out in my family, and have no musical talent aside from karaoke and the kazuu (and possibly the vuvuzela).

pipers.jpg

band_marching.jpg

When I was that age we didn't have colour. The world was still in its black and white evolutionary stage.
But honestly I have never come across anyone who admits to being a member of an American marching band. I don't think I really believed there was such a thing outside Disney and Hollywood. Am I the only one who can see how funny they are?
Well Lo, you don't really under stand the context. Besides, their are marching bands and there are MARCHING BANDS. The attached video explains the backgroud and history behind the marching band for the local college where I live. Widely regarded as one of the best in the nation.

and here they are performing their most famous routine at the Rose Bowl.

and if none of this makes any sense to you......just remember....Buckeyes are nuts!

buckeye-nuts-lg2.jpg

Well Lo, you don't really under stand the context. Besides, their are marching bands and there are MARCHING BANDS. The attached video explains the backgroud and history behind the marching band for the local college where I live. Widely regarded as one of the best in the nation.

and if none of this makes any sense to you......just remember....Buckeyes are nuts!

buckeye-nuts-lg2.jpg

Every fanboy believe their marching band is the best in the universe. Besides those who go to MSU, and know their place.

At my High School, we had the marching band on the sign leading into town instead of the football team. We won the state championship 3 out of the 4 years I was in high school, this being "Stone County", population 10k, vs. actual places it's possible to recognize the name of such as "Jackson" or "Biloxi". However, the old director left to direct a university band and the new one sucks. The community college band I went to was widely recognized as one of the best in the south, but I thought they were sloppy as fuck and that their level of recognition was just a sign of the poor state of community college bands nationwide. At MSU, the band sucks and I never joined it.

buckeye-nuts-lg2.jpg

You should often view my posts as a tiny bit of piss taking. I enjoy marching bands as we have in the UK. As a young whippersnapper I regularly stood in awe of the splendour and emotion carried with the band of the Royal Marines or the Royal Navy playing on the flight deck as they returned from far flung, geography-book places. But the marching bands of America, who so often look as if they have recruited from the Ministry of Silly Walks and who dress in pretend kilts or Disney-esque military looking uniforms, seem intent on destroying all semblance of dignity.
BTW you call conkers 'buck-eyes'? Do they also constitute a popular sport in America?
Sadly we don't get conkers here and my dear grandchildren have to make their own forms of enjoyment, often by beating the living daylights out of each other!! (tic)

You're in the UK? And you do far more than a tiny bit of piss talking...

In the UK? No. Are you, perhaps, the only person here who does not know where I currently live. Piss taking, nah. Hardly any really. Piss taking must serve two purposes as you well know.

You should often view my posts as a tiny bit of piss taking. I enjoy marching bands as we have in the UK. As a young whippersnapper I regularly stood in awe of the splendour and emotion carried with the band of the Royal Marines or the Royal Navy playing on the flight deck as they returned from far flung, geography-book places. But the marching bands of America, who so often look as if they have recruited from the Ministry of Silly Walks and who dress in pretend kilts or Disney-esque military looking uniforms, seem intent on destroying all semblance of dignity.
BTW you call conkers 'buck-eyes'? Do they also constitute a popular sport in America?
Sadly we don't get conkers here and my dear grandchildren have to make their own forms of enjoyment, often by beating the living daylights out of each other!! (tic)

Uhhh those aren't chestnuts Lo.....there Buckeyes.....chestnust are edible....Buckeye are well.....just nuts....if you were from michigan you would call them "useless nuts"....and yes....we played conkers with these when we were kids. Hurt like hell too!

And...as you may have gathered.....Buckeye is also a nickname for a person from the State of Ohio. We have other nicknames for people from other States too. People from Indiana are called "Hoosiers", people from Texas are called "Long Horns", People from North Carolina are called "Tar Heels". People from Wisconson are called "Cheese Heads" and people from Alabama are called "Pig Fuckers".

Last edited:
Uhhh those aren't chestnuts Lo.....there Buckeyes.....chestnust are edible....Buckeye are well.....just nuts....if you were from michigan you would call them "useless nuts"....and yes....we played conkers with these when we were kids. Hurt like hell too!

And...as you may have gathered.....Buckeye is also a nickname for a person from the State of Ohio. We have other nicknames for people from other States too. People from Indiana are called "Hoosiers", people from Texas are called "Long Horns", People from North Carolina are called "Tar Heels". People from Wisconson are called "Cheese Heads" and people from Alabama are called "Pig Fuckers".

Horse Chestnuts or Conkers are not edible either, at least not by humans, children play with them by threading the little suckers on strings and taking turns to break the opponent's conker.

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/conkers.html

Horse Chestnuts or Conkers are not edible either, at least not by humans, children play with them by threading the little suckers on strings and taking turns to break the opponent's conker.

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/conkers.html
Oh.....i ah stand corrected. The Buckeye is the new world genus of the Horse Chestnut. Our game consisted of gathering up as many of them as you could, pairing up into teams on a field and then running around throwing them at each other.

Oh.....i ah stand corrected. The Buckeye is the new world genus of the Horse Chestnut. Our game consisted of gathering up as many of them as you could, pairing up into teams on a field and then running around throwing them at each other.

This might help you to understand this peculiar British pastime?

odd, when we do the same thing with snowballs we call it a fight rather than a game.....and when they do it with rocks and bricks in London they call it a riot.....

In the UK? No. Are you, perhaps, the only person here who does not know where I currently live. Piss taking, nah. Hardly any really. Piss taking must serve two purposes as you well know.

You keep referring to yourself as if a current member of the UK community, but you live in Hong Kong. Were I to pick up and move somewhere else, such as Jamaica or New Zealand, I would similarly lose the title "American."

You keep referring to yourself as if a current member of the UK community, but you live in Hong Kong. Were I to pick up and move somewhere else, such as Jamaica or New Zealand, I would similarly lose the title "American."
No you wouldn't. Everyone would still know that you'r that damned Yank they need to hide their daughter from.

Back