APP - America is fat

Fish

obesity_2001.gif

The Center for Disease Control said:
During the past 20 years there has been a dramatic increase in obesity in the United States. In 2008, only one state (Colorado) had a prevalence of obesity less than 20%. Thirty-two states had a prevalence equal to or greater than 25%; six of these states (Alabama, Mississippi, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia ) had a prevalence of obesity equal to or greater than 30%.
This is from the CDC's data. Ranked from fattest % of population and marked Red/Blue as they voted in the 2008 presidential election.

So, America is fat and getting fatter. What are the causes? I believe that one of those causes is being poor.

2008 State Obesity Rates

Mississippi 32.8
Alabama 31.4
West Virginia 31.2
Tennessee 30.6
Oklahoma 30.3
South Carolina 30.1
Kentucky 29.8

North Carolina 29.0
Michigan 28.9
Arkansas 28.7
Ohio 28.7
Texas 28.3
Louisiana 28.3
South Dakota 27.5
Kansas 27.4
Georgia 27.3

Delaware 27.0
North Dakota 27.1
Nebraska 26.6

Illinois 26.4
Indiana 26.3

Alaska 26.1
Iowa 26.0
Maryland 26.0
Washington 25.4
Wisconsin 25.4
New Mexico 25.2
Maine 25.2
Virginia 25.0
Nevada 25.0

Wyoming 24.6
New York 24.4
Florida 24.4

Arizona 24.8
Minnesota 24.3
Oregon 24.2
New Hampshire 24.0

Montana 23.9
California 23.7
New Jersey 22.9
Vermont 22.7

Utah 22.5
Hawaii 22.6
Washington DC 21.8
Rhode Island 21.5
Connecticut 21.0
Massachusetts 20.9
Colorado 18.5

Compared with the 10 poorest states (Median Household Income):

# South Carolina – $43,329
# Tennessee – $42,367
# Oklahoma – $41,567

# New Mexico – $41,452
# Louisiana – $40,926
# Alabama – $40,554
# Kentucky – $40,267
# Arkansas – $38,134
# West Virginia – $37,060
# Mississippi – $36,338

The poor have a tough time getting a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables in their diets and many have to deal with times of food insecurity, which has serious links with obesity.

Many in poverty work multiple jobs at varying 1st, 2nd, and 3rd shift schedules and are eating the cheapest easiest meals to eat on the go: fast food.

Why do you think America is fat?

We need a good continental war. That will take care of the excess weight issue. Let's make up an issue to start it. How about Obamacare's death panels?

"No health care? Buy health care! Move on, nothing to see here."

well there you have it then....if we spend a trillion dollars everyone in America will get skinny....probably because they will all have to live on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and sliced cheese....

Liberals are fascist at heart..this what is going to happen they pass this hostile takeover of our health care, they will tell people what to eat, tax the shit out of things they deem UNhealthy, cause they gotta pay for that free health care..take a good look..this is what will be coming..

well there you have it then....if we spend a trillion dollars everyone in America will get skinny....probably because they will all have to live on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and sliced cheese....

This is only partially a health care issue, it's mainly a poverty/consumer culture issue.

obesity_2001.gif

This is from the CDC's data. Ranked from fattest % of population and marked Red/Blue as they voted in the 2008 presidential election.

So, America is fat and getting fatter. What are the causes? I believe that one of those causes is being poor.

2008 State Obesity Rates

Mississippi 32.8
Alabama 31.4
West Virginia 31.2
Tennessee 30.6
Oklahoma 30.3
South Carolina 30.1
Kentucky 29.8

North Carolina 29.0
Michigan 28.9
Arkansas 28.7
Ohio 28.7
Texas 28.3
Louisiana 28.3
South Dakota 27.5
Kansas 27.4
Georgia 27.3

Delaware 27.0
North Dakota 27.1
Nebraska 26.6

Illinois 26.4
Indiana 26.3

Alaska 26.1
Iowa 26.0
Maryland 26.0
Washington 25.4
Wisconsin 25.4
New Mexico 25.2
Maine 25.2
Virginia 25.0
Nevada 25.0

Wyoming 24.6
New York 24.4
Florida 24.4

Arizona 24.8
Minnesota 24.3
Oregon 24.2
New Hampshire 24.0

Montana 23.9
California 23.7
New Jersey 22.9
Vermont 22.7

Utah 22.5
Hawaii 22.6
Washington DC 21.8
Rhode Island 21.5
Connecticut 21.0
Massachusetts 20.9
Colorado 18.5

Compared with the 10 poorest states (Median Household Income):

# South Carolina – $43,329
# Tennessee – $42,367
# Oklahoma – $41,567

# New Mexico – $41,452
# Louisiana – $40,926
# Alabama – $40,554
# Kentucky – $40,267
# Arkansas – $38,134
# West Virginia – $37,060
# Mississippi – $36,338

The poor have a tough time getting a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables in their diets and many have to deal with times of food insecurity, which has serious links with obesity.

Many in poverty work multiple jobs at varying 1st, 2nd, and 3rd shift schedules and are eating the cheapest easiest meals to eat on the go: fast food.

Why do you think America is fat?

Alaska, no data!

This is only partially a health care issue, it's mainly a poverty/consumer culture issue.
Ironic. For the first time in human history a nation is suffering the consequences of having to much food.

In essence it is an easy solution. Eat less, exercise more. For a lot of people, how do you prioritize that when career demands 10 to 12 hour work days and an hour or two of commuting, family commitments and responsibilities, when are you supposed to fit exercise in? Not to mention other cultural and behavioral issues such as the extraordinary levels of stress that todays electronic induced productivity requires in the work place as well as a mass media that induces you to slurp down high sugar, high fat, high caloric products. Those who discount these cultural conditionings by saying "eat less, exercise more" are probably the most obese persons.

The obvious solution is education on proper nutrition, lifestyle choices and human physiology but even then you have to get your ass off the couch.

I know how a friend of mine solved the obesity problem with his kids. #1. He took a sledge hammer to their nintendo play station. #2. He banned all soft drinks from his home. #3. His kids, after they get home from school, have to either do chores our play outdoors until dinner time at around 6pm. It seems to have worked. His kids hated him for about a month after he destroyed their nintendo but they got over it.

As for me. I ride my hybrid bike to work (10 miles round trip) every work day and I do around 75 to 125 miles per week on my road bike after work and on weekend. Most weeks I do about 150 miles combined. That's about 8 hours a week of exercise and that works for me.

Last edited:
Ironic. For the first time in human history a nation is suffering the consequences of having to much food.

In essence it is an easy solution. Eat less, exercise more. For a lot of people, how do you prioritize that when career demands 10 to 12 hour work days and an hour or two of commuting, family commitments and responsibilities, when are you supposed to fit exercise in? Not to mention other cultural and behavioral issues such as the extraordinary levels of stress that todays electronic induced productivity requires in the work place as well as a mass media that induces you to slurp down high sugar, high fat, high caloric products. Those who discount these cultural conditionings by saying "eat less, exercise more are probably the most obese persons.

The obvious solution is education on proper nutrition, lifestyle choices and human physiology but even then you have to get your ass off the couch.

Hurray, someone gets it.

I think excessive and constant advertising plays into the issue a lot as well. We live in a 24 hour ad blitz where avoiding constant demands to consume is nearly impossible.

The market breeds generations of fast food, brand name, useless junk consumers.

what do you expect on a no content thread....
Do you always have to be so narrow minded? This is actually a very interesting topic that affects millions of our fellow citizens. I for one have committed a substantial amount of community time as a volunteer training people to lead a more fit and active lifestyle while also teaching them fundamental principles of nutrition and exercise physiology. It's these sort of education program which can have a profound impact on reducing health care costs in this nation via prevention.

Do you always have to be so narrow minded? This is actually a very interesting topic that affects millions of our fellow citizens. I for one have committed a substantial amount of community time as a volunteer training people to lead a more fit and active lifestyle while also teaching them fundamental principles of nutrition and exercise physiology. It's these sort of education program which can have a profound impact on reducing health care costs in this nation via prevention.

Sounds like you're doing what you can to give back a little. I'm wondering if you make it a point to work with lower income children/teenagers? I think that if more Americans could be educated beyond the terrible and vague food pyramid that the trend would start to reduce.

Sounds like you do a lot of biking, I sure wish I had a bike. I run a few nights a week because it's, well, free. I also am planning on doing my first 5K in November.

I agree that diet and exercise are the solutions to lose weight and be healthy, but getting to that point isn't as simple as it sounds, which was the purpose of this thread: to explore the causes of obesity in America.

Back