APP - America is fat

Part of the problem is what society accepts now vs then.
Fat girls are ok now in HS from what I have seen. Unlike when I was in school.
Pregnant out of wedlock is accepted.
Having family members in jail is pretty much accepted, etc...

There is no social stigma now for many things.

What is the new country song about a "beer belly"?

I don't know, being fat still carries a social stigma.

All three of the things you listed there are things that I have no problems with. Fat people are just people too. I don't necessarily care if someone has the means to be fit and chooses not to be, but not everyone does.

Your other two points date you a bit. Baby boom?

Yeah I have a pic somewhere of sixpack abs.

7a448a53f66e4eec186a27fcc7e63a33_190.jpg

I don't know, being fat still carries a social stigma.

All three of the things you listed there are things that I have no problems with. Fat people are just people too. I don't necessarily care if someone has the means to be fit and chooses not to be, but not everyone does.

Your other two points date you a bit. Baby boom?

Fat is sometimes a medical issue. But often it indicates other issues with self esteem, slothfulness, and other attitude issues.

Fat is sometimes a medical issue. But often it indicates other issues with self esteem, slothfulness, and other attitude issues.

Do you see the line I'm drawing between obesity and poverty though? I agree that self esteem is a major part of it as well.

Do you see the line I'm drawing between obesity and poverty though? I agree that self esteem is a major part of it as well.

Poverty also leads to many of the same attitude issues.
And some of those attitude issues can lead to poverty.
It is intertwined.
note: I am speaking of America here not another country.

Also unhealthy food is cheaper as many someone else said on this thread.

Another thought I have is Tax the heck out of telivisoin as a viewer tax and america would be a lot better off in many ways.
Put a heck of a sin tax on it so many would not watch much of it.

The problem with sin taxing something like fast food is that without addressing some of the other issues involved, it just ends up making poor people poorer.

The problem with sin taxing something like fast food is that without addressing some of the other issues involved, it just ends up making poor people poorer.

Heck some of them might even have to start preparing real food again!

How many homes do not even have a bog of flour or corn meal in them?

Each generation eats less real food and more prepared food!

Our end goal is probably the same, I just don't think that the problem is solved by taxing it. Now, banning certain types of advertisement... that's another story.

Our end goal is probably the same, I just don't think that the problem is solved by taxing it. Now, banning certain types of advertisement... that's another story.

Or tax the heck out of TV to reduce our exposure to advertisements?

By taxing it we could remove the ads.

Time's article says exercise has nothing to do with weight loss, just what you eat, the old saying, you are what you eat!
I haven't read Time's article but I'd have to say that if their saying exercise has nothing to do with ones weight, that they don't know what they are talking about. Besides, it's not just about weight. I can weigh 220 lbs and have a BMI >30% cause I"m sedentary or I can weigh 220 lbs and have a BMI <20% because I exercise a lot and have more lean muscle mass. That's one of the traps that I teach people about. Fitness and an active life style aint just about what you weight. If you choose good nutrition and proper levels of exercise your weight will pretty much take care of itself.

I haven't read Time's article but I'd have to say that if their saying exercise has nothing to do with ones weight, that they don't know what they are talking about. Besides, it's not just about weight. I can weigh 220 lbs and have a BMI >30% cause I"m sedentary or I can weigh 220 lbs and have a BMI <20% because I exercise a lot and have more lean muscle mass. That's one of the traps that I teach people about. Fitness and an active life style aint just about what you weight. If you choose good nutrition and proper levels of exercise your weight will pretty much take care of itself.

LOL, Mott has not reached the magic age yet has he Froggie?

Back