Amy Winehouse reported dead

• Thread starter Thread starter Guns Guns Guns
  • Start date Start date
What kind of a bigoted , sexist statement is that? No basis in fact, yet, you wrote it. Well, there went your credibility.

LOL. It's the same rubbish we all do with our friends. Don't take it personally, poet. And there was nothing about racism in it, that's just knee-jerk race baiting action.

What is about the age of 27? Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Brian Jones, Pigpen from the Grateful Dead, Kurt Kobain, Richey Edwards from Manic Street Preachers, Peter Ham from Badfinger, Gram Parsons, Alan Wilson from Canned Heat, Rudy Lewis from the Drifters, Robert Johnson, Gary Thain from the Keef Hartley Band, Mia Zapata from the Gits and Kristen Pfaff from Hole all died at this age?

Last edited:
What is about the age of 27? Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Brian Jones, Pigpen from the Grateful Dead, Kurt Kobain, Richey Edwards from Manic Street Preachers, Peter Ham from Badfinger, Gram Parsons, Alan Wilson from Canned Heat, Rudy Lewis from the Drifters, Robert Johnson, Gary Thain from the Keef Hartley Band, Mia Zapata from the Gits and Kristen Pfaff from Hole all died at this age?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/27_Club

Of course this comes from a guy who has likely never done the jazz scene...

Kenny G is smooth jazz...or as some call it mood jazz.

I'm more a fan fusion than mood jazz. I even like old style Dixieland jazz better. Give me Miles Davis, The Crusaders, Coltrane, Herbie Hancock or Chick Correa and I am a happy man.

I've always though Winehouse was more of a blusey jazz singer.

I was wrong about Gram Parsons, he died about six weeks before his 27th birthday.

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/g/gram+parsons/biography.html

Although his death and subsequent events are worthy of a film, if anybody is brave enough to do it.

In the late 1960s, Parsons became enamoured of Joshua Tree National Monument in south eastern California. Alone or with friends, he would disappear in the desert for days searching for UFOs while under the influence of psilocybin or LSD. After splitting from Burrell, Parsons would frequently spend his weekends in the area with Margaret Fisher and Phil Kaufman. Before his tour was scheduled to commence in October 1973, Parsons decided to go on one more excursion. Accompanying him were Fisher, personal assistant Michael Martin, and Dale McElory, Martin's girlfriend. Less than two days after arriving, Parsons died September 19, 1973 in Joshua Tree, California at the age of 26 from a lethal combination, purportedly of morphine and alcohol. According to Fisher in the 2005 biography Grievous Angel: An Intimate Biography of Gram Parsons, the amount of morphine consumed by Parsons would be lethal to three regular users and thus he had likely overestimated his tolerance considering his past experience with opiates. Fisher and McElroy were returned to Los Angeles by Kaufman, who dispersed the remnants of Parsons' stash in the desert.
Parsons' body disappeared from the Los Angeles International Airport where it was being readied to be shipped to Louisiana for burial. Prior to his death, Parsons stated that he wanted his body cremated at Joshua Tree and his ashes spread over Cap Rock, a prominent natural feature there; however, Parson's stepfather arranged for a private ceremony back in New Orleans and neglected to invite any of his friends from the music industry.
To fulfil Parsons' "funeral" wishes, Kaufman and a friend stole his body from the airport and in a borrowed hearse drove it to Joshua Tree where they attempted to cremate it by pouring five gallons of gasoline into the open coffin and throwing a lit match inside. What resulted was an enormous fireball. Police chased them, but according to one account they "were encumbered by sobriety," and got away. The two were arrested several days later. Since there was no law against stealing a dead body, they were only fined $750 (or $700) for stealing the coffin and were not prosecuted for leaving 35 lbs of his charred remains in the desert.

Last edited:
Kenney G is pop fusion, IE "Smooth Jazz", not real Jazz. The only time when real jazz was anywhere near predominant was the 20's-60's. From then on, it's mostly white people doing pale imitations (it's cool now that black people don't actually listen to it anymore, just like Old School rap), and stuff from New Orleans.

Sometimes calling you an ass just misses the boat... I know what bebop, cool jazz, hard bop, modal jazz, progressive, and classical jazz is. I understand that Kenny G does contemporary "smooth" jazz- Someday you'll get to do more then play an adult on a message board~

Sometimes calling you an ass just misses the boat... I know what bebop, cool jazz, hard bop, modal jazz, progressive, and classical jazz is. I understand that Kenny G does contemporary "smooth" jazz- Someday you'll get to do more then play an adult on a message board~

It's a genre created by recording companies that bears pretty much zero resemblance to any other form of jazz in history.

Back