Ancestry.com - apparently I am extremely & blindingly white

It's a lot of fun, I would recommend it.
Ancestry.com found a lot of second and third cousins of mine in their database, according to the DNA results - so that was pretty cool.

I recently did one as well & there are some oddities that come up, or rather how DNA works.. My first cousin is on there & I have a fairly wide/diverse mix but her results are a bit different than mine (of course) because of how DNA is passed via maternal/paternal lines.

My mother, her aunt, her Dad's sister share the same parents but the amounts/percents of certain ethnicities we share is different on the results.

Additionally as you make additional matches-do your fam tree it will change somewhat or fine tune perhaps..

Good luck on your search/adventure..............

Another good one, in many ways better & free of cost, is the Mormon FAMILYSEARCH.COM

It is similar to Ancestry in some way, but in other ways much better, especially if you are going back a ways..

Say you find a great, great, great grandmother & enter it in Ancestry, you might get a hint (or they could hold out a while or forever, as they want you on paying as long as possible) but w/ familysearch they will attach the entire tree already associated w/ her name.

Thus no need for you to re-trudge work/searching etc that has already been done & verified, including attachments supporting it.

I recently did one as well & there are some oddities that come up, or rather how DNA works.. My first cousin is on there & I have a fairly wide/diverse mix but her results are a bit different than mine (of course) because of how DNA is passed via maternal/paternal lines.

My mother, her aunt, her Dad's sister share the same parents but the amounts/percents of certain ethnicities we share is different on the results.

Additionally as you make additional matches-do your fam tree it will change somewhat or fine tune perhaps..

I was told I was "95% British Isles". But half my family comes from Germany/Switzerland. I think Britain has been invaded so many times that being 'British', may mean you are 'Normand;', 'Saxon', 'Viking'. I'm not real sure what 'British' is any more. I know I'm Scot, Irish, English and Welsh ... is THAT 'British'?

All northern European, which probably explains why I cannot get a tan and tend to blind people when I take off my shirt.

Ancestry.com

66% Eastern European & Russia
18% Baltic States
11% Germanic Europe
5% Scotland, Ireland, or Wales

The Russian DNA was obviously unsurprising.
The Baltic states DNA is likely explained because my paternal relatives come from Belarus, which historically was once part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, undoubtedly contributing to a mixed brew of Slavs and Balts. Since my maternal side comes from an old Cossack family in southern Russia, I was surprised to not see any Tatar or Central Asian - but either the amount of Tatar DNA is too small to discriminate, or Ancestry.com simply does not have the database to screen for trace amounts of central Asian DNA.
There is a McClintock somewhere in my background, obviously a contribution to the Sottish DNA.

My favorite DNA ancestry stories are actually when Trump-supporters find out they have sub-Saharan African ancestry.

khazarian gene blackout. the people that never existed.

I was told I was "95% British Isles". But half my family comes from Germany/Switzerland. I think Britain has been invaded so many times that being 'British', may mean you are 'Normand;', 'Saxon', 'Viking'. I'm not real sure what 'British' is any more. I know I'm Scot, Irish, English and Welsh ... is THAT 'British'?

That's true but even today many ppl & place names in the British Isles can be followed back to various "migrations" & "invasions"..

As you do your tree/go generations back it should fine tune a bit. In other words the markers etc from Germany etc are found there but going back generation you should be able to trace/establish where those markers actually came from, hopefully..

When I first got my results I thought it was bs, especially compared to my 1st cuz on there.

As an example I had a high percent which noted "North African", which is an area, not an ethnicity etc.. Anyway as I established ancestry to the Middle East, specially Lebanon, it changed to higher percent Middle Eastern~the markers where Phoenician, Carthage etc once controlled much of that area, Spain/Mediterranean etc..

Another good one, in many ways better & free of cost, is the Mormon FAMILYSEARCH.COM

It is similar to Ancestry in some way, but in other ways much better, especially if you are going back a ways..

Say you find a great, great, great grandmother & enter it in Ancestry, you might get a hint (or they could hold out a while or forever, as they want you on paying as long as possible) but w/ familysearch they will attach the entire tree already associated w/ her name.

Thus no need for you to re-trudge work/searching etc that has already been done & verified, including attachments supporting it.

yeah but sometimes that grandma wasn't really your gene Grandma

DNA doesnt have family incidents to hide

yeah but sometimes that grandma wasn't really your gene Grandma

DNA doesnt have family incidents to hide

I have a cousin in St. Louis (apparently a German Worker's Paradise because no one ever left, they were born, lived, and died there) who is*NOT a 'DNA a Match'. And neither is her Mother (my Aunt).

The overwhelming majority of my genetic relatives are going to be in the republics of the former USSR, so I would need to investigate what, if any, of these over-the-counter DNA companies is really going to that effective for me. Initially, I was just going for a breakdown of the ethnic regions-brew in my DNA. My only regret - I should have totally gone for the neaderthal test!

The overwhelming majority of my genetic relatives are going to be in the republics of the former USSR, so I would need to investigate what, if any, of these over-the-counter DNA companies is really going to that effective for me. Initially, I was just going for a breakdown of the ethnic regions-brew in my DNA. My only regret - I should have totally gone for the neaderthal test!

Ancestry works on relatives as well, who are your grandparents etc.... I would think the records back in the USSR would be much better than a lot of other places..

If you really are interested, you should check out the Mormon site as well...

A lot of what I have arrived @ I did using info from both & then cross applying it.

IMHO they are best in the European sphere, but then most of those using the tests are likely Euro-oriented.

Good luck w/ it...

That would explain why you like Blue Swede.

I think the only group that DOESN'T have Neanderthal, is the Sub-Saharan group.

Thanks for the intel!

I haven't really reviewed everything they sent me - it is on my to-do list!

I don't know if they have Neanderthal DNA results, I will have to look because that is super cool. I feel like I may be a little more evolutionarily primitive than your average human, so I think I need to be screened for Homo Erectus dna!!
Watch what you ask for... :whome: lol
_40508887_brezhnev_ap_238.jpg

Back