Ancestry.com - apparently I am extremely & blindingly white

My recommendation is unless you have a serious health issue I’d recommend not ever having a DNA test done. The privacy issue are serious and having a DNA test can become part of your public record that can provide serious private information about yourself that really wouldn’t want others to have.

Sorry I missed your post; stuff wasn't showing up well last night and earlier this morning.

I did it for health reasons, but rather than pay twice as much to have 23andMe run the medical/health analysis, I just paid for the $69 (on sale) racial/national makeup genetic test. Then used Promethease for the health analysis. They update their database constantly and for your $5 you can re-run your raw DNA results as often as you like.

Have seen where they've closed more than one cold case using the DNA results from these services.

Watch what you ask for... :whome: lol
_40508887_brezhnev_ap_238.jpg

LMAO. My kids and I all have ~4% Neanderthal genes. Sub-Saharan African as well.

I think the Homosapiens left Africa and then encountered the Neanderthals. (?)

Too right you are.

The neaderthals in Europe were spawned from an earlier out-migration of hominids from Africa.

Our species of hominids - homo sapiens - were part of a later migration out of Africa, and we bumped into the neaderthals as we moved into Eurasia.

At least that is what I have learned. My next goal is to get up to speed on Denisovan humans, which were another group of hominds in Eurasia that homo sapiens may have encountered. I have a lot of crap to learn!

This place sure has enough lonely coat tail jockey's.

Ancestry.com - apparently I am extremely & blindingly white - part deux

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
LMAO. My kids and I all have ~4% Neanderthal genes. Sub-Saharan African as well.

By USfreedom911
THAT explains a lot. :good4u:

Neanderthals are a higher life form, and Africa is one of the cradles of civilization.

This forum hosts lower life forms, which I always suspected have a dose of simian DNA. Surprisingly, these lower life forms are generally found in the Reichwing contingent!

Neanderthals are a higher life form, and Africa is one of the cradles of civilization.

This forum hosts lower life forms, which I always suspected have a dose of simian DNA. Surprisingly, these lower life forms are generally found in the Reichwing contingent!

They do seem to have a good representation on the left hand side of the IQ Bell curve. lol

I love how genetics have given us a new understanding of our prehistory. It seems more and more probable that the Neanderthals didn't just "die out" and were supplanted by our ancestors. Seems we interbred and that they live on in our own bodies and minds.

They do seem to have a good representation on the left hand side of the IQ Bell curve. lol

I love how genetics have given us a new understanding of our prehistory. It seems more and more probable that the Neanderthals didn't just "die out" and were supplanted by our ancestors. Seems we interbred and that they live on in our own bodies and minds.

Too right you are.

The story about the neaderthals and their connection to homo sapiens is one of the most compelling stories to come out of modern genetic science, in my opinion.

I recently saw a program in which it was reported that there have been a handful of genetic tests recently that demonstrate some humans have trace genetic materials from an even earlier species of hominid. Homo erectus, perhaps? I can't remember, and I am going to have to back track to refresh my memory. Whatever it was, it really blew my mind!

This industry is all private companies, with proprietary methods and interpretive algorithms, not subject to public scientific peer review - so we have to assume a certain level of uncertainty about the results. The interpretive side of it strikes me as being the most subject to uncertainty.

That said, my so did a lot of research on this, and 23andMe was the DNA service reputed to be most useful for obtaining health-related information, while AncestryDNA is purported to be better for genealogical information and tracing family history. That was what I was most interested in.

The DNA results I got back comported very well with the oral and written tradition of our family history - for which we have very good documentation going back 500 years. So that gave me some measure of confidence in the genetic result. I mainly was interested to see if any Tatar-Mongol-Central Asian heritage popped up, given my connection to Russian Cossacks. But it doesn't bother me that none showed up - for one thing, the connection between Cossascks, tatars and central Asians is tenuous at best. The family legend I always heard is that if you scratch a Cossack, you'll find a tatar. But realistically, I don't think anyone can really say definitively that the Cossacks have any tangible genetic connection to the Mongol's Golden Horde and the tatars. At least in a measurable way that shows up in off-the-shelf genetic testing.
Keep in mind that in Russia and Eastern and Central Europe the Mongols were referred to as Tatars even though the Tatar’s were a different ethnic group than the Mongols. It became a designation for many nomadic tribes of Central Asia. Particularly Turkic speaking peoples by Russians and in Eastern and Central Europe.

The name "Tatars" was used as an alternative term for the Shiwei, a nomadic confederation to which these Tatar people belonged. Russians and Europeans used the name Tatar to denote Mongols as well as Turkic peoples under Mongol rule (especially in the Golden Horde). Later, it applied to any Turkic or Mongolic-speaking people encountered by Russians. Eventually, however, the name became associated with the Turkic Muslims of Ukraine and Russia, namely the descendants of Muslim Volga Bulgars, Kipchaks, Cumans, and Turkicized Mongols or Turko-Mongols (Nogais), as well as other Turkic-speaking peoples (Siberian Tatars, Qasim Tatars, and Mishar Tatars)[26][27][28][29][30] in the territory of the former Russian Empire (and as such generally includes all Northwestern Turkic-speaking peoples).[31] [attributed Wikipedia]

Last edited:
Keep in mind that in Eastern and Central Europe the Mongols were referred to as Tatars even though the Tatar’s were a different ethnic group than the Mongols. It became a designation for many nomadic tribes of Central Asia. Particularly Turkic speaking peoples.

The name "Tatars" was used as an alternative term for the Shiwei, a nomadic confederation to which these Tatar people belonged. Russians and Europeans used the name Tatar to denote Mongols as well as Turkic peoples under Mongol rule (especially in the Golden Horde). Later, it applied to any Turkic or Mongolic-speaking people encountered by Russians. Eventually, however, the name became associated with the Turkic Muslims of Ukraine and Russia, namely the descendants of Muslim Volga Bulgars, Kipchaks, Cumans, and Turkicized Mongols or Turko-Mongols (Nogais), as well as other Turkic-speaking peoples (Siberian Tatars, Qasim Tatars, and Mishar Tatars)[26][27][28][29][30] in the territory of the former Russian Empire (and as such generally includes all Northwestern Turkic-speaking peoples).[31] [attributed Wikipedia]

A good point to make.
I have always had a distinct impression that the way western Europeans and even European Russians have used words like Tatar, and Cossack were based as much on political affiliations and linguistics, as much or more as on any genuine genetic basis.

This place sure has enough lonely coat tail jockey's.

Ancestry.com - apparently I am extremely & blindingly white - part deux

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post

By USfreedom911
THAT explains a lot. :good4u:

The weird thing about this forum is that there are rightwing dunces who know they are perma-banned from my threads, who know that I rarely bother reading or responding to them, but liked jilted girls they still cannot contain themselves from following me around and reading my threads and posts. I guess my writing must be really interesting!

Too right you are.

The story about the neaderthals and their connection to homo sapiens is one of the most compelling stories to come out of modern genetic science, in my opinion.

I recently saw a program in which it was reported that there have been a handful of genetic tests recently that demonstrate some humans have trace genetic materials from an even earlier species of hominid. Homo erectus, perhaps? I can't remember, and I am going to have to back track to refresh my memory. Whatever it was, it really blew my mind!

You might be interested in reading about mtDNA, which is handed down from mothers to children.

The weird thing about this forum is that there are rightwing dunces who know they are perma-banned from my threads, who know that I rarely bother reading or responding to them, but liked jilted girls they still cannot contain themselves from following me around and reading my threads and posts. I guess my writing must be really interesting!

Like his gf Toxic and bfs Jack n Grumpy, USF is weirdly obsessed with me. Why, I do not know since I've had the pointless twit on ignore for well over a year. Attention whore, I guess. Looks like he's obsessed with you as well.

Like his gf Toxic and bfs Jack n Grumpy, USF is weirdly obsessed with me. Why, I do not know since I've had the pointless twit on ignore for well over a year. Attention whore, I guess. Looks like he's obsessed with you as well.

There are adults here who will leave you alone if you don't have an interest in engaging with them.

And then there are the wierdos who will follow you around, read your posts, write to you, wave their arms, jump up and down, and beg for your attention. Part of me feels sorry for the jilted dunces who spend so much time writing words to me that I will never read.

It is weird, a little creepy...but also, strangely comical in a way!

Yes, I need to learn a lot more about mitochondrial DNA - human evolution is one area of science I am committed to upping my game!
That’s a challeng I often make to Creationist. Please explain the existence of mitochondrial DNA outside of evolutionary theory in a way that makes sense.

Extinction isn’t taught very well. Most species over history have become extinct not because they died out but because they evolved into other species.

That’s a challeng I often make to Creationist. Please explain the existence of mitochondrial DNA outside of evolutionary theory in a way that makes sense.

An appreciation I am getting for the science of human evolution is 1) how complex the scope, diversity, and genetic overlap of the homo genus was in Africa, 2) how human evolution was not linear at all; and 3) how much we still don't know - in part, because there were and are actually relatively very few evolutionary scientists doing field work in Africa, and also critical parts of the geologic record from the all-important time frame of 4 to 8 million years ago is rare or missing.

There are adults here who will leave you alone if you don't have an interest in engaging with them.

And then there are the wierdos who will follow you around, read your posts, write to you, wave their arms, jump up and down, and beg for your attention. Part of me feels sorry for the jilted dunces who spend so much time writing words to me that I will never read.

It is weird, a little creepy...but also, strangely comical in a way!

It *is* creepy.... but you do have to laugh at the irony of certain of them calling you a stalker, and me as well.

Extinction isn’t taught very well. Most species over history have become extinct not because they died out but because they evolved into other species.

Very true. That being said, since humans have been studying and recording info about other species, we have lost vast numbers of them to true extinction.

Back