Apocolypse

Not with the modern powders we have today. They'll outlast my unborn children. Hell, I regularly shoot ammo from the WWI.

I bouight some 7.62x54 WW II ammo, for my rifle; but I'm worried about using it; because I found out it's supposed to be really corrosive.

I'm still trying to find an old article about how to make a crossbow using a leaf spring, a brake cable, and using pushrods for the bolts.

The problem withsurviving the apocalypse is that its only the first step.

Food & shelter obviously become tougher to come by. But having what you need and being able to keep it can be two different things. And the little things will kill you.

Minor medical problems become life threatening. Variety in the diet become not just a matter of taste, but of nutritional needs. And a bad crop can mean dying during the winter.

The upside is that the majority will not last 6 months. The downside to that is that they will be desperate beyond rational actions.

The toughest part for me will probably be that I have to shoot people who are trying to avoid starvation for their families.

The problem withsurviving the apocalypse is that its only the first step.

Food & shelter obviously become tougher to come by. But having what you need and being able to keep it can be two different things. And the little things will kill you.

Minor medical problems become life threatening. Variety in the diet become not just a matter of taste, but of nutritional needs. And a bad crop can mean dying during the winter.

The upside is that the majority will not last 6 months. The downside to that is that they will be desperate beyond rational actions.

The toughest part for me will probably be that I have to shoot people who are trying to avoid starvation for their families.

All true.

Even with all the canned and processed food that would be available, I personally believe that to many people just aren't capable of taking care of themselves.

All true.

Even with all the canned and processed food that would be available, I personally believe that to many people just aren't capable of taking care of themselves.

The overwhelming majority would not be. The only thing they would have going for them is the mob mentality that could ruin the ability of the few who can take care of themselves.

The overwhelming majority would not be. The only thing they would have going for them is the mob mentality that could ruin the ability of the few who can take care of themselves.

The best idea would be to load up and get away from highly populated areas.
Let the rabble do away with themselves.

The best idea would be to load up and get away from highly populated areas.
Let the rabble do away with themselves.

That is why the majority of the survivalists have large stockpiles of freezedried foods. This lets them lay low until the masses have starved themselves out of the equation.

That is why the majority of the survivalists have large stockpiles of freezedried foods. This lets them lay low until the masses have starved themselves out of the equation.

I would have to forage; ie: take, steal, find, hoard, etc.
I don't make enough money to stockpile.

I would have to forage; ie: take, steal, find, hoard, etc.
I don't make enough money to stockpile.

If you are actually worried, start buy a few extra canned goods and dried foods every week. It will add up before you know it. The basic staples aren't as expensive. And you can always buy a few flats of ramen noodles to stretch whatever food you will have.

Or forage, take, steal, find & hoard. lol

If you are actually worried, start buy a few extra canned goods and dried foods every week. It will add up before you know it. The basic staples aren't as expensive. And you can always buy a few flats of ramen noodles to stretch whatever food you will have.

Or forage, take, steal, find & hoard. lol

Raising 4 grandkids doesn't leave much food in the house.

I've got enough firepower for now, that if push came to shove I could probably requisition enough (beans, rice, flour, etc.) to hold everyone for a while.
After that it would be snake steaks and lizard stew, so to speak.

As was said in "The Patriot", dog be a fine meal.

I bouight some 7.62x54 WW II ammo, for my rifle; but I'm worried about using it; because I found out it's supposed to be really corrosive.

I'm still trying to find an old article about how to make a crossbow using a leaf spring, a brake cable, and using pushrods for the bolts.
I have about 5000 rounds of that stuff myself. All you have to do is clean it with an ammonia based solution (such as Windex) immediately after shooting. Well within 24 hours anyways.

I have about 5000 rounds of that stuff myself. All you have to do is clean it with an ammonia based solution (such as Windex) immediately after shooting. Well within 24 hours anyways.

KEWL
Now I need to get down to the range and get the rifle sighted in for aroiund 1/2 mile.
It's got the graduated rear sight and I wish I could afford one of the old Russian scopes that they used to use with these things.
Of course I would have to have the arm on the bolt redone, so that it didn't hit the scope.

KEWL
Now I need to get down to the range and get the rifle sighted in for aroiund 1/2 mile.
It's got the graduated rear sight and I wish I could afford one of the old Russian scopes that they used to use with these things.
Of course I would have to have the arm on the bolt redone, so that it didn't hit the scope.
I collect Mosins. If ya never fired one, be prepared for fun. They kick like a mule and the short barreled models have a fireball when shooting surplus ammo. If ya have the money JG sales sells a repro of the scoped version pretty cheap.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info...2x54r-caliber-/cPath/209_261/products_id/1541

I collect Mosins. If ya never fired one, be prepared for fun. They kick like a mule and the short barreled models have a fireball when shooting surplus ammo. If ya have the money JG sales sells a repro of the scoped version pretty cheap.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info...2x54r-caliber-/cPath/209_261/products_id/1541

choke-choke
Sorry; but $500 isn't my idea of cheap.
I paid less then $100 for my Mosin; but it's a standard version and was made in checkoslovakia, before it split up, I think.

choke-choke
Sorry; but $500 isn't my idea of cheap.
I paid less then $100 for my Mosin; but it's a standard version and was made in checkoslovakia, before it split up, I think.
If that's the case you got a very rare breed. If ya have the chance and desire take some pictures, I could tell ya a bit about it.

And $500 is cheap for a scoped bolt action sniper reproduction. I paid $900 for mine (but it's also an original and like I said, I collect them).

If that's the case you got a very rare breed. If ya have the chance and desire take some pictures, I could tell ya a bit about it.

And $500 is cheap for a scoped bolt action sniper reproduction. I paid $900 for mine (but it's also an original and like I said, I collect them).

Mine has all the same numbers, except for the bayonet.
The "BIG 5" store regularly has them, at around $100.00 or less and they're not reproductions.

Mine has all the same numbers, except for the bayonet.
The "BIG 5" store regularly has them, at around $100.00 or less and they're not reproductions.
No, I mean it's reproduction of a sniper version, it's still an original rifle. I've seen them at Big 5 and Dunhams all the time. But yours might be very rare as Easter European Mosins were rare and you may have gotten away with a steal. Of course it's none of my business, but if ya are interested let me see some pics of it and I'll tell ya more about it.

No, I mean it's reproduction of a sniper version, it's still an original rifle. I've seen them at Big 5 and Dunhams all the time. But yours might be very rare as Easter European Mosins were rare and you may have gotten away with a steal. Of course it's none of my business, but if ya are interested let me see some pics of it and I'll tell ya more about it.

I"m not real good, with taking pictures and then posting them; but I'll see what I can do.

Back