APP - Hypothetical Scenario for Thinkers

It is 500 years in the future. Man has perfected a way to travel to distant galaxies, and has discovered a planet much like Earth. In fact, it is ecologically just like Earth, with slightly less water and oxygen. However, after our initial explorations, it appears there is very little life on the planet. No advanced life whatsoever, only some simple vegetation in certain areas. We've explored the oceans and find nothing living there either. No signs of any kind of civilization, no intelligent life has been found, in spite of our advanced equipment which is designed to detect any kind of life as we know it. Aside from the rare and sparse vegetation, there is no sign of any life on the planet.

What we have discovered, is puzzling. The planet is full of mechanical devices of all kinds. Machines are running everywhere, producing things, computing things, making other machines. Some machines, we simply don't know what they are for, or what they are doing. There are buildings, but they are very simple structures, seemingly designed to just keep out the elements and protect the running machines. No bathrooms or running water, except where water is needed for the machines to produce. We've scratched our heads over this for a decade, and science is still baffled. Where are the people? Who made the machines? How did they get there? The questions are endless, as we grapple with the details of this new world.

The question posed by this hypothetical scenario... what is your conclusion? Did machines "evolve" into existence? Did some source of intelligence we can't detect or which no longer exist, make the machines? Is this some project erected by another civilization on another planet?

Watches aren't subject to natural selection. They don't reproduce. The watchmaker analogy is completely stupid.

Though, some scientists have said that there are basically two possible forms for life. One is carbon based like our own, and the only other element that possesses the potential for replicating itself is a lifelike way is silicon. So it's not completely impossible for machine life to evolve. It would take a fantastic coincidence/chance (read: lots and lots of time) for it to happen, but it can happen theoretically.

Watches aren't subject to natural selection. They don't reproduce. The watchmaker analogy is completely stupid.

Though, some scientists have said that there are basically two possible forms for life. One is carbon based like our own, and the only other element that possesses the potential for replicating itself is a lifelike way is silicon. So it's not completely impossible for machine life to evolve. It would take a fantastic coincidence/chance (read: lots and lots of time) for it to happen, but it can happen theoretically.

i dont' think that was the answer dixie was looking for

Not really "looking for" an answer. Just curious as to what you would conclude or what theories you would find to explain such a discovery.

... clearly you're going to make some retarded argument spun off of the watchmaker theory against evolution as soon as someone says they had to be designed.

Dude, if silicon did that, the women that evolved from it would be SUUUUUPER HOTTTTT!!! :cool:

Dude, if silicon did that, the women that evolved from it would be SUUUUUPER HOTTTTT!!! :cool:

the-terminatrix.jpg

Actually there are several theoretical alternatives to carbon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_biochemistry#Silicon_biochemistry

There's silicon, nitrogen/phosphorous, arsenic, chlorine, and sulfur. But it's unlikely there are a lot of alien animals that don't use carbon. Think about it a second - there is a LOT more silicon on earth than carbon, but life evolved through carbon just because it's so much easier.

And silicon based life wouldn't resemble a machine.

Actually there are several theoretical alternatives to carbon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_biochemistry#Silicon_biochemistry

There's silicon, nitrogen/phosphorous, arsenic, chlorine, and sulfur. But it's unlikely there are a lot of alien animals that don't use carbon. Think about it a second - there is a LOT more silicon on earth than carbon, but life evolved through carbon just because it's so much easier.

And silicon based life wouldn't resemble a machine.

Yeah, I googled it out of curiosity after I wrote it. The only one I had ever heard as an alternative was silicon. I heard a scientist even say that was the only likely alternative. Turns out there are some other, even less likely alternatives.

The point, I think, is that the point Dixie is itching to make here is absolutely retarded. If I went to a desert and found a refrigerator sitting there I'd have to be retarded to think it evolved and wasn't made by man. Machines aren't subject to evolutionary forces. They have to be designed. That's not true for biological systems.

Last edited:
Not really "looking for" an answer. Just curious as to what you would conclude or what theories you would find to explain such a discovery.

Dixie, we all know your purpose for making this thread, and it is not a good argument at all. Your essentially saying that if we went to a planet that had all machine life it would prove the existence of God - but there is no such planet so it's really useless for you to argue this and doesn't support your point.

Yeah, I googled it out of curiosity after I wrote it. The only one I had ever heard as an alternative was silicon. I heard a scientist even say that was the only likely alternative. Turns out there are some other, even less likely alternatives.

It'd be fucking awesome if they really existed, though.

(7:39:01 PM) ib1yysguy: here's what he wants someone to say
(7:39:11 PM) ib1yysguy: that we would have to conclude they were made by some species who left them there
(7:39:18 PM) ib1yysguy: then he'll say something retarded about intelligent designer
(7:39:36 PM) ib1yysguy: call biology a machine and say it had to be an intelligent designer that left us here because biology is no different than a watch
(7:40:02 PM) Watermark: Yeah that's where he's going
(7:40:15 PM) Watermark: I'm just going to post that
(7:40:22 PM) ib1yysguy: lol
(7:40:22 PM) Watermark: He think he's being clever, but we all see through him

Last edited:
Lewis Mumford's insight is proven in its extreme, climate kills ?????kind; life will be left to the cockroach and the machine.

"Western society has accepted as unquestionable a technological imperative that is quite as arbitrary as the most primitive taboo: not merely the duty to foster invention and constantly to create technological novelties, but equally the duty to surrender to these novelties unconditionally, just because they are offered, without respect to their human consequences." Lewis Mumford

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Technopoly-Surrender-Technology-Neil-Postman/dp/0679745408/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241019571&sr=1-13"]Amazon.com: Technopoly: The Surrender of Culture to Technology (9780679745402): Neil Postman: Books[/ame]
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Myth-Machine-Technics-Human-Development/dp/0156623412/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241019983&sr=1-2"]Amazon.com: Myth of the Machine : Technics and Human Development (9780156623414): Lewis Mumford: Books[/ame]

Last edited:
(7:39:01 PM) ib1yysguy: here's what he wants someone to say
(7:39:11 PM) ib1yysguy: that we would have to conclude they were made by some species who left them there
(7:39:18 PM) ib1yysguy: then he'll say something retarded about intelligent designer
(7:39:36 PM) ib1yysguy: call biology a machine and say it had to be an intelligent designer that left us here because biology is no different than a watch
(7:40:02 PM) Watermark: Yeah that's where he's going
(7:40:15 PM) Watermark: I'm just going to post that
(7:40:22 PM) ib1yysguy: lol
(7:40:22 PM) Watermark: He think he's being clever, but we all see through him

I'm glad we all recognized his logic....

Back