Ayn Rand Christmas Cards

What words other than self interest should she use to describe rational self interest?

The woman wrote a book called The Virtue of Selfishness. You can spin this six ways to Sunday but selfishness is not a virtue, never was and never will be. "Virtue of selfishness" is an oxymoron.

Rand was trying to be provocative but she comes off looking silly.

I am not pointing out any form of government. I am pointing out that the word "selfishness" as described by Ayn Rand is entirely different than the word "selfishness" being assumed.

I know of no libertarian that sees no use for government, the absurd claim that it would be "anarchy" is solely based on moving the goalposts, a basic strawman fallacy position. I make points about her views on selfishness and how it is being misunderstood, you claim I am talking about government and then start arguing that strawman. I have been speaking about what she means when she speaks of self-interest.

First the assumption that Ayn Rand was against charity can be proven wrong by simply reading what she stated.

You can read what she said about charity here: http://aynrandlexicon.com/lexicon/charity.html

The fact that a man has no claim on others (i.e., that it is not their moral duty to help him and that he cannot demand their help as his right) does not preclude or prohibit good will among men and does not make it immoral to offer or to accept voluntary, non-sacrificial assistance.
Except you take rational self interest to such an extreme that ideal outcomes are not achieved. Mostly impotence and ineffectiveness are achieved. You may not openly advocate anarchy but those are the end results of objectivism or Libertarianism for that matter. It's why Libertarianism has never been able to become an effective political movement.

And for Mott, here is what Ayn Rand has to say about Anarchism:

http://aynrandlexicon.com/lexicon/anarchism.html

Anarchy, as a political concept, is a naive floating abstraction: . . . a society without an organized government would be at the mercy of the first criminal who came along and who would precipitate it into the chaos of gang warfare. But the possibility of human immorality is not the only objection to anarchy: even a society whose every member were fully rational and faultlessly moral, could not function in a state of anarchy; it is the need of objective laws and of an arbiter for honest disagreements among men that necessitates the establishment of a government.
And how do Governments enforce those objective laws Damo? By arbitration? By explaining to miscreants and nonconformist what their rational self interest are?

No. They use coercion. All governments always have. Explain away that little contradiction to the objectivist paradigm.

Maybe she should have used another word than selfish, if that's not what she meant. That's why the thesaurus was written.

She reminds me of Gordon Gekko: "Greed - for lack of a better word - is good."

Do not blame her for your ignorance.

As for looking out for self interest, you do as well. You talk about all of this compassion with your liberal pals because it makes you feel good inside. But when push comes to shove, you will ALWAYS put your self interests above someone else's. ALWAYS

If you claim otherwise you are a liar.

Ask yourself this question. Would you ever have your children forgo eating a meal so you can feed someone you don't know? Of course you wouldn't and no rational person would expect you to.

There are two reasons you don't understand Ayn Rand

1) you are flat out stupid
2) because of your stupidity, you have been duped to believe that any belief system other than an all powerful government bestowing gifts upon its citizens is nothing short of "selfish"

Like the word discrimination, you lefties have turned the word selfish into a pejorative. It is your ignorance that closes your mind.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/democracy

Full Definition of democracy

plural de·moc·ra·cies

a : government by the people; especially : rule of the majority

b : a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections

mott you have bought into a right wing fucking lie meme

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/democracy/#DemDef

Single member district representation returns single representatives of geographically defined areas containing roughly equal populations to the legislature and is present most prominently in the United States and the United Kingdom.

Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy

on democracy

mott I will take these resources over your stupid fucking ass any time

why are you lying for the sociopaths here ?

are you fucking brain dead?

Back