Baseball Replay

Minister of Truth

Practically Perfect
That inability by the umpires in the A's/Indians game to call the homerun, even with the effing video replay, has got to be the worst call I've ever seen. Good on Bob Melvin for getting tossed by those retards.

I was always proud of baseball for being pure. It seemed to me the replay was far more indispensable to football, and even tennis. Despite this, my Mariners have seemed to mostly benefit from it, as they will here if the A's loss stands.

That was really blown by the umpires. You can see it hit the railing behind the HR fence. I don't know how they could have missed it.

I remember when the umpires called back a homerun by a Mariner back at the Kingdome, ruling the fan had reached out and intercepted a ball that would have struck the fence. The call was correct, and harder to make as the right-field fence was very high there. Nevertheless, the HR signal had been given and the fireworks detonated. Lou Piniella was so pissed he famously tore out second base and chucked it into centre field.

I watched a ton of games in my beloved Kingdome, and there were a lot of metal rails above the fence which counted for homeruns. Never saw an umpire struggle with it.

That call was such bullsh*t. Wouldn't be surprised if I have a noise complaint at my doorstep today from my HOA when I get home after the yelling I was doing at the TV. Good thing the Warriors won last night or I might be asked to leave my building.

That call was such bullsh*t. Wouldn't be surprised if I have a noise complaint at my doorstep today from my HOA when I get home after the yelling I was doing at the TV. Good thing the Warriors won last night or I might be asked to leave my building.

Did you put down a few good beers while you were at it? I thought about that when I first began writing this thread.

Did you put down a few good beers while you were at it? I thought about that when I first began writing this thread.

Haha. Somehow I stayed sober. Tonight will be a different story. I'm going to the bars to watch tonights game and I will be f*cked up. I hope I don't come home and drunk post like a dumbass.

And as an aside have you read that the ump who blew the replay call has blown other big calls as well? And because he's in the umpires union he cannot be fired and there's little chance he'll be disciplined. Lovely.

i forget which sports commentators have said this in the past, but they have openly willingly said they are fine with introducing error into the game in the sake of tradition.

it's fucking stupid. there was a time in our history that eyes on the ground was the best thing we had to make calls. That is no longer the case. fucking baseball dinosaurs fucking everything up. Remember that guy (forget his name) that pitched a perfect game either last year or the year before, but the ump was so fucking stupid he made the wrong call on what should have been the last out... it's a joke.

We have instant replay cameras now, we have the system to track where balls and strikes are, umps aren't fucking needed. You can use them for the obvious plays, but they should allow challenges in baseball. It wouldn't take hardly any time, just a quick call up to a booth where another ump is watching the game on tv and can make THE CORRECT FUCKING CALL.

i forget which sports commentators have said this in the past, but they have openly willingly said they are fine with introducing error into the game in the sake of tradition.

it's fucking stupid. there was a time in our history that eyes on the ground was the best thing we had to make calls. That is no longer the case. fucking baseball dinosaurs fucking everything up. Remember that guy (forget his name) that pitched a perfect game either last year or the year before, but the ump was so fucking stupid he made the wrong call on what should have been the last out... it's a joke.

We have instant replay cameras now, we have the system to track where balls and strikes are, umps aren't fucking needed. You can use them for the obvious plays, but they should allow challenges in baseball. It wouldn't take hardly any time, just a quick call up to a booth where another ump is watching the game on tv and can make THE CORRECT FUCKING CALL.

Do you want to eliminate the manager/umpire confrontations? Because instant replay would end that tradition. Earl Weaver would turn in his grave. Baseball is a GAME, it is entertainment. It is not war, it is not life or death.

sorry no, I want the best team to win. I don't want variance to be unnecessarily injected so we can get an entertaining 1 minute manager-ump fight every now and then.

[video]<iframe src='http://mlb.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=25536175&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>[/video]
sorry no, I want the best team to win. I don't want variance to be unnecessarily injected so we can get an entertaining 1 minute manager-ump fight every now and then.

The best teams do win. What about balls and strikes, do you want a computer to make those calls? There is and should always be a human element to the GAME.

The umpires do an incredible job. We sit there watching with the full benefit of high definition super slow motion replays. They make the call in a split second and get it right 99% of the time. What it would take to reach 100% would change the game for the worse, not the better.

They are men who love the game of baseball, and take a lot of pride in their work. And they are human beings.

When you see this scheduled on MLB Network, check it out...it is awesome.

“The Third Team”: Behind the scenes with the World Series umpires

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/27/the-third-team-behind-the-scenes-with-the-world-series-umpires/

they do not get it right 99% of the time, and no, the best team does not always win. If you are one of the sickest teams in baseball your win percentage MIGHT be in the .600's at the end of the season. That creates heavy swing dynamics. Additionally in a short series like the divisional you don't have to go deep with your starting pitching, so a team with crappier pitching is on a more even footing, whereas in a longer series the weakness in your rotation will manifest itself more.

You are basically arguing for additional error to be introduce into the game. You want people that actually did the correct play (i.e. not swing at an obvious ball) and be punished for it. I find this to be completely irrational. It's stupid.

Weak argument. It's not done a damned thing to improve officiating in the NFL. In fact it fucks up the pace and the flow of the game. Bad for fans and players....but good for TV sponsors.

MLB Umpires are the best officials in all of NA professional sports. They do make a mistake from time to time...deal with it....it's just a game.

introducing error and wrong calls and making the worst team win is not "pure," it's a bastardization.

Over 162 it is not likely to be significant.

If there were not controls put in place it could and probably would be used to disrupt hot pitchers.

The umpires would still get some wrong with replay, as they did here, and especially with all the homers on the Yankees/Red Sox payrolls. :)

Over 162 it is not likely to be significant.

If there were not controls put in place it could and probably would be used to disrupt hot pitchers.

The umpires would still get some wrong with replay, as they did here, and especially with all the homers on the Yankees/Red Sox payrolls. :)

in the playoffs it can become very significant, which is what ultimately stands in the way of being champ. Baseball playoffs aren't like basketball playoffs. In basketball your edge is just so huge the better team is going to be winning like 80% of the time. it's not the same in baseball.

they do not get it right 99% of the time, and no, the best team does not always win. If you are one of the sickest teams in baseball your win percentage MIGHT be in the .600's at the end of the season. That creates heavy swing dynamics. Additionally in a short series like the divisional you don't have to go deep with your starting pitching, so a team with crappier pitching is on a more even footing, whereas in a longer series the weakness in your rotation will manifest itself more.

You are basically arguing for additional error to be introduce into the game. You want people that actually did the correct play (i.e. not swing at an obvious ball) and be punished for it. I find this to be completely irrational. It's stupid.

Let the umpires do their jobs without forcing them to be paralyzed to make a call like the NFL. They are the best in the business, and they sometimes make a mistake. That's LIFE.

To beef up the ability to make calls, baseball adds extra umpires on the foul lines in the playoffs. Last year in the 'playoff' between the Cards and the Braves. On a pop up to shallow left field 'infield fly rule' was called by the umpire on the left field line. During a normal game, there would be no umpire in left field and the 3rd base umpire would make that call, and from his perspective I highly doubt he would have made an IFR call. It had an effect on the outcome.

The GAME is just fine. It doesn't need to be computerized.

The best story in baseball to come along in ages that showed the human side of the game was over a HUGE blown call.

On June 2, 2010, umpire James Joyce made an incorrect call, as the first base umpire, which cost Armando Galarraga then of the Tigers a perfect game. Joyce tearfully spoke with the media following the game and admitted he made a mistake: "I just cost the kid a perfect game". Joyce and Galarraga received praise throughout the sports world for the manner in which they handled the situation; reflecting an earlier ESPN poll, players such as Mariano Rivera spoke on the record about Joyce's superb career of umpiring.

In 2011, Joyce, Galarraga, and author Daniel Paisner collaborated on a book based on the game, Nobody's Perfect: Two Men, One Call, and a Game for Baseball History.

q3z4kRn.jpg
dW5Iwly.jpg

HiIxmRd.jpg
armando.jpg
dKq0tTX.jpg

The next day, Galarraga handed in the lineup card...

PyJP6bP.jpg
s4oYqIr.jpg
mlb_a_jjoyce_sy_300.jpg

Do you want to eliminate the manager/umpire confrontations? Because instant replay would end that tradition. Earl Weaver would turn in his grave. Baseball is a GAME, it is entertainment. It is not war, it is not life or death.

As the A's-Indians game showed instant replay does not end manager/umpire confrontations.

Back