Baseball Replay

Your premise, that it will eliminate error is obviously flawed. They might not have a good angle or could just screw it up anyway.

There is no rush. If it works well for these other plays there will be an argument to expand it and if not then they can take it away.

not my premise. did not say it would element all error, though I think it's obvious it could significantly curb it.

not my premise. did not say it would element all error, though I think it's obvious it could significantly curb it.

I don't agree that that is obvious. The argument that it has made nfl refs tentative has merit. As a solutions developer I have seen the same effect and it's well known that spell checkers and gps can have a deleterious effect on human skills.

bullshit. this is another dinosaur talking point. the time it would take is absolutely trivial. It can all be done by computers and displayed on a screen. for plays that require more nuance they can be challenged, sent up to a booth and in the time it takes you to watch a replay on the tv you can have your answer. it would not make the game significantly longer. at all.

The way MLB replay currently works, it certainly will, because the league controls all of the official replay footage, and the umpires have to wait for it to be transmitted to their location. Either way, it will probably still wind up taking 4 hours once every play becomes reviewable.

no one is saying every play will be reviewable. this is a strawman. every other sport in some capacity allows for review of plays and overturning of calls. there is no reason this can't be expanded to baseball in a great capacity. checking the screen literally takes seconds.

no one is saying every play will be reviewable. this is a strawman. every other sport in some capacity allows for review of plays and overturning of calls. there is no reason this can't be expanded to baseball in a great capacity. checking the screen literally takes seconds.

Right now in the MLB, it does not take seconds. Also, in the NFL, everything inside of 2 min. to the Half is automatically reviewed. This is the equivilent of everything from the first pitch of the 8th inning (which will be a real motherfucker for games extending beyond nine innings) on being automatically reviewed. Even when the MLB grows up and let's them utilize local recordings for their instant replays, it will still chew up a ton of clock (clock which they will have a lot of, because baseball has no clock).

Back