Baseball Replay

As the A's-Indians game showed instant replay does not end manager/umpire confrontations.

This was an aberration.

Back in February MLB Network had a special round table discussion. Tony LaRussa talked about how replay could kill that part of the tradition of the game. He said the Commissioner told him that is one of his concerns.

MLB Network Special

MLB 2013: The Future of Our Pastime

Description:
Bob Costas, Al Leiter, Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci, two-time World Champion manager Tony LaRussa, New York Times national baseball writer Tyler Kepner and New York Post baseball columnist Joel Sherman discuss current issues facing the game.

Original air date:
Saturday, February 16, 2013

Last edited:
It's baseball.....don't make a mountain out of a mole hill. This happens like what? Once every 2 or 3 thousand games?

Interesting, the people who "don't want variance to be unnecessarily injected" into a GAME, are the same ones fighting FOR variance to be unnecessarily injected into the gun laws by denying there is unnecessarily injected variance in the background check system.

I am rather indifferent. If they can create a system that would cause little delay then, fine, but I don't see a great need for it either. There will still be missed calls anyway and I am not so sure it would reduce them significantly.

Let the umpires do their jobs without forcing them to be paralyzed to make a call like the NFL. They are the best in the business, and they sometimes make a mistake. That's LIFE.

To beef up the ability to make calls, baseball adds extra umpires on the foul lines in the playoffs. Last year in the 'playoff' between the Cards and the Braves. On a pop up to shallow left field 'infield fly rule' was called by the umpire on the left field line. During a normal game, there would be no umpire in left field and the 3rd base umpire would make that call, and from his perspective I highly doubt he would have made an IFR call. It had an effect on the outcome.

The GAME is just fine. It doesn't need to be computerized.

The best story in baseball to come along in ages that showed the human side of the game was over a HUGE blown call.

On June 2, 2010, umpire James Joyce made an incorrect call, as the first base umpire, which cost Armando Galarraga then of the Tigers a perfect game. Joyce tearfully spoke with the media following the game and admitted he made a mistake: "I just cost the kid a perfect game". Joyce and Galarraga received praise throughout the sports world for the manner in which they handled the situation; reflecting an earlier ESPN poll, players such as Mariano Rivera spoke on the record about Joyce's superb career of umpiring.

In 2011, Joyce, Galarraga, and author Daniel Paisner collaborated on a book based on the game, Nobody's Perfect: Two Men, One Call, and a Game for Baseball History.

q3z4kRn.jpg
dW5Iwly.jpg

HiIxmRd.jpg
armando.jpg
dKq0tTX.jpg

The next day, Galarraga handed in the lineup card...

PyJP6bP.jpg
s4oYqIr.jpg
mlb_a_jjoyce_sy_300.jpg

I don't care what you say, your entire argument boils down to "I want error injected into the game"

I am rather indifferent. If they can create a system that would cause little delay then, fine, but I don't see a great need for it either. There will still be missed calls anyway and I am not so sure it would reduce them significantly.

there should at least be a challenge system where they can throw a flag or something a few times a game.

I don't care what you say, your entire argument boils down to "I want error injected into the game"

My argument boils down to this: major league baseball has been doing just fine for 137 years without your absolutist engineering. The game survived one Kenesaw Mountain Landis, we don't need another. There are nuances, traditions, human factors, and yes, even flaws that make baseball endearing, things that make baseball the greatest game on earth.

If you need to apply your absolutist engineering to something, stick with football.

Last edited:
My argument boils down to this: major league baseball has been doing just fine for 137 years without your absolutist engineering. The game survived one Kenesaw Mountain Landis, we don't need another.

it survived, it can be better. you are keeping it unneccesarily handicapped in the sake of tradition and a marriage to error.

There are nuances,

what does that even mean? Other than human error? Hmmm I am reading the crowd, I am going to call this wrong.

traditions,

sticking with tradition for traditions sake is not a compelling argument.

human factors,

errors.

and yes, even flaws that make baseball endearing,

no.

things that make baseball the greatest game on earth.

baseball can still be great, you can still have umps, but that doesn't mean you should willfully prevent progress.

My argument boils down to this: major league baseball has been doing just fine for 137 years without your absolutist engineering. The game survived one Kenesaw Mountain Landis, we don't need another. There are nuances, traditions, human factors, and yes, even flaws that make baseball endearing, things that make baseball the greatest game on earth.

If you need to apply your absolutist engineering to something, stick with football.

I wish they would chuck Landis and Charles Comisky out of the HoF and substitute Shoeless Joe and Buck Weaver.

it survived, it can be better. you are keeping it unneccesarily handicapped in the sake of tradition and a marriage to error.

what does that even mean? Other than human error? Hmmm I am reading the crowd, I am going to call this wrong.

sticking with tradition for traditions sake is not a compelling argument.

errors.

no.

baseball can still be great, you can still have umps, but that doesn't mean you should willfully prevent progress.

So typical. You right wingers have no understanding of human nature, especially when it comes to motivation, pride and self confidence. The umpires are doing great. They don't need to be put under a huge electronic microscope. It will not make them better umpires, it will make them hesitant, unsure and cause paralysis. We have already seen it in the NFL.

If you need perfect calls in baseball, buy a Play Station.

mvp-07-ncaa-baseball-1.jpg

I want the best team to win, I don't want the worst team to benefit from human error when it can be prevented. There is no logical reason to leave it in place other than to explicitly say you want to inject human error into the game.

I want the best team to win, I don't want the worst team to benefit from human error when it can be prevented. There is no logical reason to leave it in place other than to explicitly say you want to inject human error into the game.

I explained my reasons. You chose to COMPLETELY ignore them and apply only YOUR absolutism. I do not 'want to inject human error into the game', I don't want to take the human element out of the game. Baseball has thrived without replay for 137 years.

And even with replay the wrong call was made

what's so great about the human element? all it introduces is human error. Umps are usually faceless blobs on the field anyway, seldom with a personality. This whole "human element" argument is complete bullshit. you are a dinosaur. thankfully as the tech improves your kind will be put out to pasture.

what's so great about the human element? all it introduces is human error. Umps are usually faceless blobs on the field anyway, seldom with a personality. This whole "human element" argument is complete bullshit. you are a dinosaur. thankfully as the tech improves your kind will be put out to pasture.

Baseball is a GAME. It is not war, it is not life or death. Baseball HAS replay on home runs. Next year replay will expand to include fair and foul calls and balls that are caught, or trapped by the player catching the ball. It will also expand interference reviews beyond the home run boundary to all walls.

WHAT ELSE do you want?

I am. Get ready for four-hour games and more outrage when umpires screw up while utilizing replay.

bullshit. this is another dinosaur talking point. the time it would take is absolutely trivial. It can all be done by computers and displayed on a screen. for plays that require more nuance they can be challenged, sent up to a booth and in the time it takes you to watch a replay on the tv you can have your answer. it would not make the game significantly longer. at all.

Your premise, that it will eliminate error is obviously flawed. They might not have a good angle or could just screw it up anyway.

There is no rush. If it works well for these other plays there will be an argument to expand it and if not then they can take it away.

Obviously we need to just replace the real flaw in the game...

HUMAN BEINGS...

mlb.2k12.2g.02.lg.jpg

Last edited:
Back