Best Rap Songs of All Time

God I hope you are kidding with that .. because I know deep in their hearts ... most of the Mowtown and Atlantic legends would agree with me that a large part of RAP is not music... at least to my ears ... :nono:

Yeah I was serious.

:cof1:

Oh! My bad! I read something completely different. Sorry about that. I stand corrected.
No harm, no foul. :)

I have to admit, however, that Amish Paradise remains one of my all-time favorite parodies. Sorry, Coolio, but it's just too damned funny.

:chesh:

No harm, no foul.

I have to admit, however, that Amish Paradise remains one of my all-time favorite parodies. Sorry, Coolio, but it's just too damned funny.

What's weird al doing these days?

No harm, no foul.

What's weird al doing these days?
He's supposed to have a new CD out next month. I'm looking forward to it. A lot.

Run DMC doing "Walk this Way" with Aerosmith = Best. Rap. Video. Ever.

I like Aerosmith and I like that song, however, I'm not really into old school rap that much, I prefer my rap from the early 90s onward.

Ugh. You guys have bad taste in rap music. Rap is probably my top two favorite music genre I even used to rap in high school and college.

Here are some of the best rap songs in my opinion.

Rakim - Casualties of War

A song about being a soldier in the Gulf War and the mental conflict of fighting against those of the same faith (Rakim is a Muslim). The song is extremely prophetic and even has a verse about planes over New York and comparisons to Pearl Harbor.

KRS-One - The Truth - KRS-One is a rapper's rapper and one of the greatest. My favorite song from him is The Truth. It is basically a critique of dogmatic religion and many of its trappings. He talks about Jesus's death and how if under different circumstances the symbol for Christianity would differ

For Example:

One of the first things we gotta switch around of course
Is Jesus Christ, and him dying on the cross
You're looking at the cross, surrounded in it's mystery
With Jesus on the cross in a, total misery
Now seperate Jesus from the cross so you can see
The truth about the cross, and the cross's history
The cross was created by the Roman government
It's only purpose and use, is cap-i-tal punishment
But Jesus Christ, was all about the revolution
While the cross was used as Jesus Christ's execution
See what if Jesus Christ, was hung upon a tree
Upon every church wall, that's exactly what you'd see
If Jesus Christ, was shot in the head with no respect
We'd all have little gold guns around our neck
If Jesus Christ was killed in electic chair, now get it
You'd be knealing to the electric chair with Jesus, still in it
You gaze upon the cross, and you see the execution
You yell stop the violence but the cross you're still using

Geto Boys - Mind Playing Tricks On Me. This song better captures paranoia and delusions better than any I know. It highlights how a life of guilt in not doing right leads to fear at every turn. "Then I felt just like a fiend. It wasn't even close to Halloween. It was dark as fuck on the streeet. My hands were all bloody from punching on the concrete."

Ras Kass - Nature of the Threat. This song is not for the faint of heart and is scathing toward the crimes of Whites over the centuries. However the song is chock full of knowledge as a walk through history from the time of the Greeks to the modern day and Ras' incorporation of historical analysis into his rhyme is impressive.

Chino XL - This is a brooding song about his various form of relationships with the women in his life. Reflecting on the past of his mother's favoring of his step father over him strikes a real chord with me. It then moves to the future about his love for his little girl who he has adopted knowing that someday she will use the fact he is not her father against him.

Common w. Lauryn Hill - Retrospect for life. This song is somewhat in the form of an apology to an aborted child. At the same time common give background to justification for what he has done he also confesses that his own actions were selfish and do not ameliorate his choice.

Killah Priest - One step. While not religious myself I enjoy Priests incorporation of scriptural writings into his rhymes. This song talks about the spiritual journey of black people from slavery where there religion was stripped from them to the modern day where false ideas and concepts are embraced.

Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg - Lil Ghetto Boy. This song stands out far in front of the others in the overall great Chronic album. The song is ironic with an opening of hope at the birth of a child and a decree for independence. What follows though is a life of crime and incarceration that seems to go in cycles.

Tupac - Brenda's Got a Baby. This song details how a young girl becomes pregnant, is abused and must ultimately make a hard choice concerning her baby.

Goodie Mob - Soul Food. This is a somewhat more positive song then the others I listed and is about finding strength in everyday occurences. The double meanings with food and life are cleverly done.

Even if you don't like rap music I strongly recommend you give these songs a listen. They adequately stand alone as literary art beyond just the music.

Oh I also forgot

Bushwick Bill - Fuck a War. This song was also about the Gulf War and critiques war in general as far as how it specifically does not benefit him. Like Casualties of War this song seems very apropos to today's current events.

Livin' the ghetto life, here in the heart of rural England, i know what i'm talking about and it's quite apparent that there is no getting past NWA's - 'Straight Outta Compton'.

Eric B & Rakim's - 'Paid in Full'
Roots Manuva's - 'Witness the Fitness', keeping up the British end

and i've always kind of liked, Luniz - 'I Got 5 On It' (the reprise version)

Back