Best Rap Songs of All Time

Ugh. You guys have bad taste in rap music. Rap is probably my top two favorite music genre I even used to rap in high school and college.

Here are some of the best rap songs in my opinion.

"Rakim - Casualties of War "
Can't recall that one.

"KRS-One - The Truth - KRS-One is a rapper's rapper and one of the greatest."

Good one.

"Geto Boys - Mind Playing Tricks On Me. "

I concur definitely one of the greatest of all time.

"Chino XL - This is a brooding song about his various form of relationships with the women in his life. "

Not familiar with him

"Common w. Lauryn Hill - Retrospect for life."

I like that one. The video's pretty good too.

"Killah Priest - One step. "

Eh.

"Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg - Lil Ghetto Boy."

two thumbs up

"Tupac - Brenda's Got a Baby. "
I concur - its on my list too.....I guess that means you have bad taste in rap music too! ;) ;p

Your daughters will most likely say the same about their daughters. "Back in my day we used to listen to good music like Korn. Now it's all nonsense music."

Your parents probably said something similar. As far as rap music goes I cannot listen to most of what has come out in recent years. This is most likely because my tastes have become somewhat fixed. If I was born ten years later I might like it.

Tiana. Casualties of war came out in the early nineties so you might have missed it. It was something I discoverd later wasn't listening to Rakim then.

As for Chino and Killah Priest there not MTV rappers and don't get much airplay. Those who are really into lyricists though will definitely name them as among the best.

:rolleyes:
I'm sure somewhere there is a rap song that you like. You just haven't been introduced to it yet.

Rap? outside of mixing up some decent lyrics this has to be the most untalented kind of music going. Maybe not as much in the old days but anymore it's a bunch of music sampling, ripping off others songs and rapping lyrics of a different klind over it. I would rather listen to music with more to it than this, just my opinion though, and I know that sucks around here!:cof1:

Tiana. Casualties of war came out in the early nineties so you might have missed it. It was something I discoverd later wasn't listening to Rakim then.

As for Chino and Killah Priest there not MTV rappers and don't get much airplay. Those who are really into lyricists though will definitely name them as among the best.

I thought I knew who killa preist was, but I think I'm getting him confused with another killa.

Rap? outside of mixing up some decent lyrics this has to be the most untalented kind of music going.

I used to feel the same way. I began to gain artistic respect for rap in listening to Eminem, which my kids would not allow me to escape... what I found, once I opened my mind, was a very talented kid with an ability to express himself through his songs, in a very candid and revealing way, and with a raw emotion that is rare and special in art. A true artist, allows you into their soul to feel their pain, know their sorrow. Mathers does this, and does it in a medium that is defiant from the norm, almost by creative design. I honestly think he is one of the most brilliant artists of our times.

Gangsta's Paradise is a decent song, I wouldn't call it crap as "someone" ;) did on this thread. But the lyrics and the flow in my opinion don't elevate it to one of the best of all time. The best part of that song IMHO was the beat, which came from Stevie Wonder.

I see a lot of old school choices, "Sugar Hill", nice picks.

But Dixie, dixie, dixie.....did you just put Nelly on a list of greatest rap songs of all time???? I think Nelly is the poster child for what's gone wrong with rap these days.

I don't pay much attention to any of it, what does he do differently/worse than the others?

Your daughters will most likely say the same about their daughters. "Back in my day we used to listen to good music like Korn. Now it's all nonsense music."

Your parents probably said something similar. As far as rap music goes I cannot listen to most of what has come out in recent years. This is most likely because my tastes have become somewhat fixed. If I was born ten years later I might like it.

Ahhh .. thats where you are wrong ... while my parents cringed at the thought of me listening to the rock stars of my day ... I actaully had respect for the Stars of their generation. There is no way I could say anything negative about the talents of Sinatra, Dino, Tony Bennett or the R&R Stars from the generation before me ....the 50's.
Or... I'll even go one step further ... The Big Band Era of the 30's and 40's ... these were tremendous musicians..... real musicians ... you cannot even begin to compare the talentless bullshit over the airwaves today to that of the big band era ...

Back