Bill Richardson

Cypress

Will work for Scooby snacks
I saw his speech on Cspan last night.

I'm going to give this guy a second look. I liked what I saw.

The guy has charisma up the wazoo.

But, more importantly, the guy is a serious Stateman. With experience in foreign policy and government that is unparalled by anyone running. I think at this point in our history, we need a person who really can be a Statesman on the world stage.

He's is totally pro-union. I think. He puts his money where his mouth is, and appears to be right on labor issues and issues affecting working americans.

And evidently, he was endorsed by the NRA in new mexico. A pro-second amendment democrat. Now, this doesn't make me swoon, but guns are a wedge issue, and in reality guns are part of america. That's never going to change. The GOP has too often used guns as a wedge issue to distract working americans into voting against their own best economic interests. I'm wondering if Richardson can innoculate himself against that lame wedge issue, and more importantly, bring a ton of western state voters into the Democratic fold.

Last edited:
I didn't see it, I actually wish that I had, because I have heard a lot of similar things about him. But I don't know much about him myself, he doesn't get the press that the others do, so far. I think he is widely considered a VP candidate rather than a candidate for the top spot. By the press I mean.

I didn't see it, I actually wish that I had, because I have heard a lot of similar things about him. But I don't know much about him myself, he doesn't get the press that the others do, so far. I think he is widely considered a VP candidate rather than a candidate for the top spot. By the press I mean.

Yes, conventional wisdom would suggest he's merely a VP candidate. However, I can't think of any other american presidential candidate in recent history, with the foreign policy gravitas, than Richardson.

I can totally see him sitting down with the israelis and palestinians, and being a real diplomatic powerhouse. That would be a breath of fresh air in contrast to "the chimp years" lol.

And I think this guy can really get western votes.

Yes, conventional wisdom would suggest he's merely a VP candidate. However, I can't think of any other american presidential candidate in recent history, with the foreign policy gravitas, than Richardson.

I can totally see him sitting down with the israelis and palestinians, and being a real diplomatic powerhouse. That would be a breath of fresh air in contrast to "the chimp years" lol.

And I think this guy can really get western votes.
Really? You can't remember the massive experience in GHWB?

Richardson has more overall government and foreign policy experience than even Poppy had, when he ran in 1988
Hmmm... GHWB had some huge experience, more than most ever have had.

I'll have to look more into Richardson. Likely he and I will disagree on issues I find important, but he is a "dark horse" behind in polls guy and that is likely who will win the Primary. It happens in both parties where the guy ahead two years before rarely wins the nod.

I'll have to research him again. I can't remember what he is for and what he isn't for.

"Gun-toting Governor Richardson Endorsed by NRA in New Mexico"

Albuquerque Tribune, October2006

Your kind of democrat, LR.

I'd love to see Rudy or Mitt Romeny- who's probably never fired a gun in his life - try to exploit the wedge issue to voters, that candidate Richardson is a gun-grabber.

So far, Cypress, I think you're right. What I've read about him seems to show that he is my type of democrat.

I told ya the "their gonna take your guns away" crowd was on the move again.

That is right uscitizen. I received some NRA literature to that effect just yesterday. I can't say that what the letters contained was entirely false. But they never get any extra money from me, only my yearly dues.

I have to draw the line on the NRA Leaning, kinda mixed on that, but they are too much of a tool of the far right to suit me.

I am not even a member, I think the only one in the local hunting /shooting club of over 200 members that is not a NRA member. I do belong to the league of KY sportsman and other orgs though.

If guns are ever outlawed in the US, the first place they'll look to find out where to go collect them will be the NRA membership list. I avoid that.

I have to draw the line on the NRA Leaning, kinda mixed on that, but they are too much of a tool of the far right to suit me.

I am not even a member, I think the only one in the local hunting /shooting club of over 200 members that is not a NRA member. I do belong to the league of KY sportsman and other orgs though.

The only "far right" candidates they have ever lobbied me to vote for were on the national scale, ie. Bush I, Dole, Bush II, etc.

Most of the candidates they support here in OK are democrats. Albeit, they probably would be considered Blue Dogs, they are democrats nonetheless.

I'v given him a closer look on this site. My preliminary thought is that I could support this candidate for president.

He may turn out to be the main candidate. Hillary is a woman, Obama is black, Edwards is using his wifes cancer as a campaign crutch....

jk of course.
Well mostly.

Hillary's being a woman doesn't bother me, Hillary's being Hillary bothers me.

Obama's being black doesn't bother me, Obama's stance on key (what I consider key, anyway) issues bothers me.

Edwards is a likeable guy and I would be tempted to vote for him but his being a defense attorney bothers me.

Richardson is the best of the lot, IMO. I would be very tempted to vote for him as I don't want another republican for a while.

"I'm going to give this guy a second look."

Please do. In my opinion he is the second best Dem option to Clark. I would personally love to see a combo of those two as the Dem ticket.

Well Cypress, I can honestly say that with endorsements like the above ones pouring in...I'm thinking, Richardson? Probably not my guy.

Back