Books they wanted or are wanting to ban

Banned & Challenged Classics

The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
The Catcher in the Rye, by JD Salinger.
The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck.
To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee.
The Color Purple, by Alice Walker.
Ulysses, by James Joyce.
Beloved, by Toni Morrison.
The Lord of the Flies, by William Golding.

The origin of the term "quark".

— Three quarks for Muster Mark!
Sure he hasn't got much of a bark
And sure any he has it's all beside the mark.
But O, Wreneagle Almighty, wouldn't un be a sky of a lark
To see that old buzzard whooping about for uns shirt in the dark
And he hunting round for uns speckled trousers around by Palmer-
stown Park?
Hohohoho, moulty Mark!
You're the rummest old rooster ever flopped out of a Noah's ark
And you think you're cock of the wark.
Fowls, up! Tristy's the spry young spark
That'll tread her and wed her and bed her and red her
Without ever winking the tail of a feather
And that's how that chap's going to make his money and mark!

What Is the Most Banned Book in America? For all time, the most frequently banned book is 1984 by George Orwell. (How very Orwellian!) The most banned and challenged book for 2017 was Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher.

Meanwhile I bought my Marquis de Sade books at Borders, which were one under lock and key at select libraries.

Banning books, movies, etc., whether by conservatives or liberals is WRONG! PERIOD!

Future generations cannot correct wrongs if they are not exposed to them and understand the history of why they exists and how society over came them.

Agreed, but none of these things are "banned." They are still freely available, but a school or library may choose not to carry them in its collection.

Agreed, but none of these things are "banned." They are still freely available, but a school or library may choose not to carry them in its collection.

If your school/local public library refuse to carry a book that has been nationally published and for sale, that is a ban. Not a national ban, but a ban none the less.

If your school/local public library refuse to carry a book that has been nationally published and for sale, that is a ban. Not a national ban, but a ban none the less.

No school or small library can purchase every nationally published book. Plus, many of those would be of no interest to their clientele (or patrons or whatever they are called today). Deciding which books to make part of a collection is a difficult process.

For example, an elementary school will have a very different collection than a secondary school. The books the elementary
school chooses not to purchase are not "banned."

Let's start with this one.

PzUbWNZ.jpg

Legion is a 1983 horror novel by American writer William Peter Blatty, a sequel to The Exorcist. It was adapted for the film The Exorcist III in 1990. Like The Exorcist, it involves demonic possession. The book was the focus of a court case over its exclusion from The New York Times Best Seller list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legion_(Blatty_novel)

You name a book they want banned and the reason why.

If history is proof of anything getting your book banned is about the best thing that can happen to increase the sales of that book.

"After parent complaints about the use of racist epithets in To Kill a Mockingbird; Adventures of Huckleberry Finn; The Cay; Of Mice and Men; and Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, the Burbank (CA) Unified School District superintendent issued a statement removing the books from the district’s required reading lists for its English curriculum and banned the use of the N-word in all school classes. The books will be allowed in classroom libraries, but no student can be required to read them. At a board meeting, the superintendent stated, “This is not about censorship, this is about righting the wrongs of the past.”
https://www.marshall.edu/library/bannedbooks/the-adventures-of-huckleberry-finn/

What if African-Americans heard the word 'Nigger'. They would probably go insane, or at least set themselves on fire and run in a circle. It's good that we have people (like Phantasmal) that will look after these people. Like little children ... looking for protection. 'The White Man's Burden'. Thank God the Wokesters have showed up.

I’ve always found that ironic about Huckleberry Finn. Sure I understand why Blacks would be offended by a character named Nigger Jim. However if you actually read the book you’ll find almost all the characters are villains, criminals, gamblers, scallywags and conmen.

There’s only one redeeming character in the entire novel who has integrity, honor and compassion and that’s Jim.

Twain did that on purpose too thumb his nose at the racist attitudes of his time.

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.
Both very anti racist for their time but the woke are incapable of understanding that.

I don’t know about that. I’d agree with you on Huck Finn but Twains portrayal of Native Americans in Tom Sawyer is pretty racist.

Still, I don’t agree with banning them. They should be used as teachable moments because you can’t learn to think critically if you can’t tolerate being offended.

Banned & Challenged Classics

The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
The Catcher in the Rye, by JD Salinger.
The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck.
To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee.
The Color Purple, by Alice Walker.
Ulysses, by James Joyce.
Beloved, by Toni Morrison.
The Lord of the Flies, by William Golding.
I’ve read them all except Ulysses. I tried but it’s a horrifically boring novel.

I’ve always found that ironic about Huckleberry Finn. Sure I understand why Blacks would be offended by a character named Nigger Jim. However if you actually read the book you’ll find almost all the characters are villains, criminals, gamblers, scallywags and conmen.

There’s only one redeeming character in the entire novel who has integrity, honor and compassion and that’s Jim.

Twain did that on purpose too thumb his nose at the racist attitudes of his time.

"The Brer Rabbit stories have been translated into nearly thirty foreign languages and have had an impressively wide influence on writers and on popular culture generally. Writers indebted to Harris include Mark Twain, Charles Chesnutt, Zora Neale Hurston, Flannery O’Connor, William Faulkner, Ralph Ellison, Toni Morrison, and Van Dyke Parks and Julius Lester (who have retold the Uncle Remus tales in richly illustrated multivolume sets). Eatonton’s other famous literary personality, however, Alice Walker, only begrudgingly acknowledges Harris’s influence, arguing that he in effect stole a major part of the Black folk legacy from its authentic African American creators."
https://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/arts-culture/uncle-remus-tales/

I love Wokesters banning (unknowingly) original African Folklore.

Our superintendent made his rounds to 3rd through 6th grades to read Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn to those classes at scheduled times. He was a great reader and could really engage us while he read. What you said in your pose was obvious even to a 6th grader who read the book ahead of our Superintendent reading it to us…because I couldn’t wait until the nest week to see what happened next.

As good as “The Heart of Darkness”?

Possibly not but then again it's a novella as opposed to a huge novel like Heart of Darkness. I think many people, especially nowadays, like to paint Conrad as a racist and cite Nigger of the Narcissus as evidence. He was anything but, although I'm sure you know that already.

I would say that it's an extremely well crafted book and well worth reading if you're a fan of Conrad.

I don’t know about that. I’d agree with you on Huck Finn but Twains portrayal of Native Americans in Tom Sawyer is pretty racist.

Still, I don’t agree with banning them. They should be used as teachable moments because you can’t learn to think critically if you can’t tolerate being offended.

Twain wasn't above criticism but he was a bit ahead of his time when it came to racial issues.

No school or small library can purchase every nationally published book. Plus, many of those would be of no interest to their clientele (or patrons or whatever they are called today). Deciding which books to make part of a collection is a difficult process.

For example, an elementary school will have a very different collection than a secondary school. The books the elementary
school chooses not to purchase are not "banned."

Never said they did or could...but in my lifetime you had books that originally were on their shelves/in circulation removed and prevented from reappearing due to the personal moral/religious contentions of a minority...that is a ban.

Never said they did or could...but in my lifetime you had books that originally were on their shelves/in circulation removed and prevented from reappearing due to the personal moral/religious contentions of a minority...that is a ban.

It is a ban in that library. That book taken off the shelf is still readily available. In some places groups are giving away free copies of Maus and its sales have soared.

If a school is largely black and many parents object to Huck Finn or Little Black Sambo, should the school ignore the parents?

Quote Originally Posted by Taichiliberal View Post

It is a ban in that library. That book taken off the shelf is still readily available. In some places groups are giving away free copies of Maus and its sales have soared.

If a school is largely black and many parents object to Huck Finn or Little Black Sambo, should the school ignore the parents?

Your first sentence says it all. That is the point. Again and again, you keep trying to split a hair and attach local, national and international situations as a rewrite of the core definition. Let's settle this once and for all; from the Merriam-Webster Dictionary

BAN
1: legal or formal prohibition
2: censure or condemnation especially through social pressure

- to prohibit especially by legal means
- to prohibit the use, performance, or distribution of

Note the definitions do NOT change for how/where a ban is initiated. So you can buy the book at a book store, but it's been taken off the shelves (banned)of local libraries thanks to a school board ruling.
You can read it at a local library, but a book store chain will no longer carry it (banned) thanks to a corporate mgmt. decision....or you can have the State issue a law doing both. Hope this clears the air.

Back