Books they wanted or are wanting to ban

Your first sentence says it all. That is the point. Again and again, you keep trying to split a hair and attach local, national and international situations as a rewrite of the core definition. Let's settle this once and for all; from the Merriam-Webster Dictionary

BAN
1: legal or formal prohibition
2: censure or condemnation especially through social pressure

- to prohibit especially by legal means
- to prohibit the use, performance, or distribution of

Note the definitions do NOT change for how/where a ban is initiated. So you can buy the book at a book store, but it's been taken off the shelves of local libraries.
You can read it at a local library, but a book store chain will no longer carry it....or you can have the State issue a law doing both. Hope this clears the air.

I was with you until the last sentence. If a state issued a law prohibiting the purchase or access to that book then you have a constitutional freedom of press issue. It would clearly be unconstitutional and clearly a "ban."

As long as government is not prohibiting a book and the book can still be freely purchased at most book stores or at libraries, I would not consider it a ban because that implies it is unavailable. And again, if an elementary school librarian chooses not to carry "50 Shades of Grey" I would not consider that a "ban" because no elementary kid is interested in that book plus it is inappropriate.

Your dictionary gives a broader definition of ban, but there is a connotation that a ban means the public cannot get the book.

I was with you until the last sentence. If a state issued a law prohibiting the purchase or access to that book then you have a constitutional freedom of press issue. It would clearly be unconstitutional and clearly a "ban."

As long as government is not prohibiting a book and the book can still be freely purchased at most book stores or at libraries, I would not consider it a ban because that implies it is unavailable. And again, if an elementary school librarian chooses not to carry "50 Shades of Grey" I would not consider that a "ban" because no elementary kid is interested in that book plus it is inappropriate.

Your dictionary gives a broader definition of ban, but there is a connotation that a ban means the public cannot get the book.

What you consider is irrelevant to the actual definitions and who/how they can be/are applied, and how things have transpired as a matter of fact & history.

Clearly, you have your own thoughts of how things "should be defined" as opposed of how they actually are in real life.

I can't argue belief with facts. So essentially, you can have the last word on this one, because I'm not going to :bdh:

Our superintendent made his rounds to 3rd through 6th grades to read Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn to those classes at scheduled times. He was a great reader and could really engage us while he read. What you said in your pose was obvious even to a 6th grader who read the book ahead of our Superintendent reading it to us…because I couldn’t wait until the nest week to see what happened next.

I think Tom Sawyer is an excellent book for that age range but I think some of the themes in Huckleberry Finn are a bit beyond a 6th grade reader. I first read it when I was 11 and when I read it again as an adult I was surprised at how much I didn’t understand from the first reading.

For example I was clueless on how heroic a character Jim was. I mean doing what Jim did, a run away slave traveling down the Mississippi River in the 1840’s on a raft into the Deep South with a 13 yo white boy because he took it upon himself to guard and protect a poor urchin kid was border line insane. Had Jim been caught he would have met a very ugly death and even in the Novel it was only the fortuitous appearance of Tom Sawyer at just the right time that saved Jim from that ugly death. Jim had serious courage as he had to know what his fate would have been.

Possibly not but then again it's a novella as opposed to a huge novel like Heart of Darkness. I think many people, especially nowadays, like to paint Conrad as a racist and cite Nigger of the Narcissus as evidence. He was anything but, although I'm sure you know that already.

I would say that it's an extremely well crafted book and well worth reading if you're a fan of Conrad.
I am. Heart of Darkness was a great read. A truly frightening one too.

Let's start with this one.

PzUbWNZ.jpg

Legion is a 1983 horror novel by American writer William Peter Blatty, a sequel to The Exorcist. It was adapted for the film The Exorcist III in 1990. Like The Exorcist, it involves demonic possession. The book was the focus of a court case over its exclusion from The New York Times Best Seller list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legion_(Blatty_novel)

You name a book they want banned and the reason why.

There is a lot of violence and sexual innuendo in the Bible children should be shielded from.

"After parent complaints about the use of racist epithets in To Kill a Mockingbird; Adventures of Huckleberry Finn; The Cay; Of Mice and Men; and Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, the Burbank (CA) Unified School District superintendent issued a statement removing the books from the district’s required reading lists for its English curriculum and banned the use of the N-word in all school classes. The books will be allowed in classroom libraries, but no student can be required to read them. At a board meeting, the superintendent stated, “This is not about censorship, this is about righting the wrongs of the past.”
https://www.marshall.edu/library/bannedbooks/the-adventures-of-huckleberry-finn/

What if African-Americans heard the word 'Nigger'. They would probably go insane, or at least set themselves on fire and run in a circle. It's good that we have people (like Phantasmal) that will look after these people. Like little children ... looking for protection. 'The White Man's Burden'. Thank God the Wokesters have showed up.

One thing we know for sure is that Tommy no nads is scared of Black people :)

Back