Burning Flags

Here is a question for all you patriotic flag wavers out there, can you name what organisation burns the most American flags?

Unofficially it is probably whoever makes new replacement flags ..... The Chinese?

Here is a question for all you patriotic flag wavers out there, can you name what organisation burns the most American flags?

It'd probably be the VFW. They have flag burning ceremonies pretty often.

Of course, it'd miles and away different from protest burnings, and entirely in keeping with the actual law (yes, we have a law on flag burning [no, you cannot be punished for breaking it])

I wish people burn the flag in protest should wrap themselves in it first. Or burn something that actually matters to them, so it becomes a sacrifice of sorts.

I wish people burn the flag in protest should wrap themselves in it first. Or burn something that actually matters to them, so it becomes a sacrifice of sorts.

The flag is a symbol of this nation. Burning it symbolizes a hatred for us. Whether it bother you or not depends on whether you feel guilty for past actions.

The flag is a symbol of this nation. Burning it symbolizes a hatred for us. Whether it bother you or not depends on whether you feel guilty for past actions.

You appear to be saying that if a person gets upset, over another person burning the American flag, that it's because they feel guilty about the history of the US.
Is this what your saying?

There is no shame in feeling pride for what we built. It isn't because people feel "guilt", it is because people believe they are spitting on something that has more value than their simple mind can encompass.

However, part of what we made here is the absolute right to do things like be a jerk and burn flags. Take away that and you've taken a part of what we are, part of the reason that we feel upset when somebody "spits in our face" and burns the flag.

Get upset and say something but so long as it isn't your flag you will just have to learn to simply voice your opinion rather than try to make laws to change it.

There is no shame in feeling pride for what we built. It isn't because people feel "guilt", it is because people believe they are spitting on something that has more value than their simple mind can encompass.

However, part of what we made here is the absolute right to do things like be a jerk and burn flags. Take away that and you've taken a part of what we are, part of the reason that we feel upset when somebody "spits in our face" and burns the flag.

Get upset and say something but so long as it isn't your flag you will just have to learn to simply voice your opinion rather than try to make laws to change it.

I think, those who burn our flag know full well what it means. That is why they burn it.

The American obsession with a piece of cloth has long been a source of wonder for non-Americans. I guess you hold it in such fervent, almost religious esteem because you basically have no history and everyone has to have something to cling to. So your flag is like a piece of flotsam after a ship wreck whereas other nations have lifeboats. Well, anything is better than nothing, I guess. If someone burned a Union Flag would I get upset? No, I really dont think any Brit would. We would probably just shrug our shoulders and say: I wonder what his problem is. Oh, sorry, I mean THE Union Flag, not one of yours.

Back