Burning Flags

The American obsession with a piece of cloth has long been a source of wonder for non-Americans. I guess you hold it in such fervent, almost religious esteem because you basically have no history and everyone has to have something to cling to. So your flag is like a piece of flotsam after a ship wreck whereas other nations have lifeboats. Well, anything is better than nothing, I guess. If someone burned a Union Flag would I get upset? No, I really dont think any Brit would. We would probably just shrug our shoulders and say: I wonder what his problem is. Oh, sorry, I mean THE Union Flag, not one of yours.
But we do have history.
Part of your history is kicking the British out of the US, which seemed to catch on in guite a few other countries; which has resulted in Great Britian becoming the Once Great Britian. :D

The flag is a symbol of this nation. Burning it symbolizes a hatred for us. Whether it bother you or not depends on whether you feel guilty for past actions.

i disagree that most people who burn the flag do so out of hatred. it has shock value and that is what political speech is usually about, especially when you need to make a point and get it disseminated to the masses.

The American obsession with a piece of cloth has long been a source of wonder for non-Americans. I guess you hold it in such fervent, almost religious esteem because you basically have no history and everyone has to have something to cling to. So your flag is like a piece of flotsam after a ship wreck whereas other nations have lifeboats. Well, anything is better than nothing, I guess. If someone burned a Union Flag would I get upset? No, I really dont think any Brit would. We would probably just shrug our shoulders and say: I wonder what his problem is. Oh, sorry, I mean THE Union Flag, not one of yours.

What if they used a pic of the Queen to wipe their butt?

Low like to think that America is somehow worlds away from everyone else and that personal attachment to physical representations of a nation/culture don't exist in any other 'civilized' portion of society, because as an Ex-Pat, he doesn't know the value of loyalty, home, or culture.

Probably a loony. Andrex would be a lot cheaper. This post illustrates just how far apart we are. We Brits KNOW who we are. We KNOW where we come from. We don't need a flag to tell us. It is the same reason that our stamps are the ONLY stamps that do not, and never did, have the name of our country on them. You wanna burn our flag, wipe your fat yank arse with it? I honestly couldn't care less.

Low like to think that America is somehow worlds away from everyone else and that personal attachment to physical representations of a nation/culture don't exist in any other 'civilized' portion of society, because as an Ex-Pat, he doesn't know the value of loyalty, home, or culture.

Ex-pats, Brit, yank pr Chinese work to keep factories open in their home country. They are the people who keep you working and dont ever forget it. Thousands of American ex pats work tirelessly to make your country better.
Arsehole.

Low should take up burning PRC flags, and see how much the Chinese don't give a shit. Or fly to France and publicly show disrespect whenever the La Marseillaise is playing.

I will repeat what I said for those of you who are clearly totally clueless.

Ex-pats, Brit, yank pr Chinese work to keep factories open in their home country. They are the people who keep you working and dont ever forget it. Thousands of American ex pats work tirelessly to make your country better.
Arsehole.

I think you owe them an apology.

Only if they are wrapped around the body of a liberal! Then we BBQ their ass on fire.
You good damned barbarian. Every civilized person knows that to BBQ them you'd have to slow roast them over smoking hard wood. Moron!

Personally I think a liberal would taste much better wrapped in bacon.

Back