California Condor is rebounding.

Cypress

Will work for Scooby snacks
In this day and age of a presidential family that enjoys murdering elephants, leopards, and giraffes, let us pause to tip the hat to the environmentalists, conservationists, and legislators who had the foresight and comittment to pass landmark environmental legislation in the early 1970s like the Endangered Species Act.

California Condor Population Rebounding After the Bird Species Nearly Went Extinct

According to the IUCN Red List, the species is still "critically endangered" but its population trend is increasing

Conservation efforts have paid off as the California condor population is slowly on the rise!

In 1982, only 22 were left in the wild, however, conservation officials were happy to announce that in May that number reached 1000 when a California condor chick hatched at Zion National Park in southwest Utah, CNN reported.

According to the International Union for Conservation of Nature Red List, the species is still “critically endangered” but its population trend is increasing.

https://people.com/pets/california-condor-population-rebounding-after-near-extinction/

In this day and age of a presidential family that enjoys murdering elephants, leopards, and giraffes, let us pause to tip the hat to the environmentalists, conservationists, and legislators who had the foresight and comittment to pass landmark environmental legislation in the early 1970s like the Endangered Species Act.

You couldn't celebrate the rebounding of a species without making it political? Oh well, glad the California condor is making a comeback. Growing up in San Diego, I was always fascinated as a kid, with a stuffed California condor on display at the Natural History Museum. Now that I live in Ohio, one of my favorite local avians is the Turkey vulture, a relative of The California condor, and a magnificent flyer. I always look forward to their return in spring.

I always love news like this. It’s one for the good guys.

Me too!

California sea otter, another success story in the making. 15 years ago, I was lucky to see two or three around here. This year, I am seeing several dozen, including lots of baby otters with their mamas!

You couldn't celebrate the rebounding of a species without making it political? Oh well, glad the California condor is making a comeback. Growing up in San Diego, I was always fascinated as a kid, with a stuffed California condor on display at the Natural History Museum. Now that I live in Ohio, one of my favorite local avians is the Turkey vulture, a relative of The California condor, and a magnificent flyer. I always look forward to their return in spring.

I did not mention one single political party*.

Liberal Republicans and Republican conservationists in the early 1970s played a crucial role in getting the landmark environmental legislation of the early 1970s passed.

As to the turkey vulture, that might be one of the most graceful flying birds I have ever seen. So I salute your affinity for the beloved turkey vulture.

*Though I despise the Trump's habit of shooting African animals.

I did not mention one single political party*.

Liberal Republicans and Republican conservationists in the early 1970s played a crucial role in getting the landmark environmental legislation of the early 1970s passed.

As to the turkey vulture, that might be one of the most graceful flying birds I have ever seen. So I salute your affinity for the beloved turkey vulture.

*Though I despise the Trump's habit of shooting African animals.

They truly are among the most graceful of fliers. Ironically, the bird from which they get their namesake, the turkey, is probably among the least graceful fliers, LOL.

For the record, I am no fan of trophy hunting either.

They truly are among the most graceful of fliers. Ironically, the bird from which they get their namesake, the turkey, is probably among the least graceful fliers, LOL.

Do you support deer hunting to manage populations?

Do you support deer hunting to manage populations?

Absolutely, that's true conservationism. I support any hunting for food, as long as it's not an endangered species of some kind. And don't misunderstand what I said, I support hunting that big buck for the trophy value, as long as the meat doesn't go to waste. But to kill big game just for the sake of a trophy, I cannot support.

Absolutely, that's true conservationism. I support any hunting for food, as long as it's not an endangered species of some kind. And don't misunderstand what I said, I support hunting that big buck for the trophy value, as long as the meat doesn't go to waste. But to kill big game just for the sake of a trophy, I cannot support.

Same effect.
It pays the bills for conservation
It manages populations it limited habitat
It provides economic stimulus in the area
It provides meat for the locals as you cant (legally) export the meat for personal consumption

Poaching bypasses all this good and is the larger threat to endangered populations. Yes, loss of habitat has also been a huge driver. But this isnt the same as Teddt Roosevelt going out west and killing bison till his barrel melted and leaving the carcasses to rot.

I love watching Turkey vultures, and the other day I was watching some pelicans - and I realized that once they get their bodies up in the air, they are amazingly graceful and skilled at riding the air current. I never thought about pelicans being graceful, but I need to re-think that.

Good to know you do not like trophy hunting. I cannot think of any valid or morally-justifiable reason to shoot a leopard for a trophy.

Obviously, hunting has its place with game animals, especially since we have culled most of the natural predators that used to keep their populations healthy and in check.

Wonderful news!

I love watching Turkey vultures, and the other day I was watching some pelicans - and I realized that once they get their bodies up in the air, they are amazingly graceful and skilled at riding the air current. I never thought about pelicans being graceful, but I need to re-think that.

Good to know you do not like trophy hunting. I cannot think of any valid or morally-justifiable reason to shoot a leopard for a trophy.

Obviously, hunting has its place with game animals, especially since we have culled most of the natural predators that used to keep their populations healthy and in check.

I love watching large flocks of pelicans in flight. Not only are they individually grace on wings, but the entire flock wheels and dives and soars as one organism. Beautiful.

IaZY0a2u0PnJUGCQnBq1jMWK5GucXEChmq6cwYPqVuErx1519694968508.jpg

It's nice to hear good news about a species making a comeback!

Interesting. This is a lead issue, as opposed to our DDT issue with eagles. Eagles/Osprey have not been endangered for quite some time. I guess it took decades to get to the lead issue out West. Most of what our vultures eat is road kill...not animals left behind by hunters. I'm not sure who's shooting animals and leaving them to rot?

Return? Our vultures never leave, and the numbers are near infestation levels. Of course, they play an important role in the environment.

Back