Can a T-Shirt Be Worth $275?

Well no one agrees with me here apparently.

I think Jesus or Ghandhi would though for what its worth.

I'm not a religious man.

However when my wife had a world religions class and as part of it visited different places of worship she told me about this sermon the Imam at a Mosque was giving about spending in the way of Allah. This was in Trenton and a primarily black neighborhood and the Imam spoke of the immorality of wasteful spending on bling bling type items as it withheld assistance to your fellow brothers.

when she told me about what he had said I found it very inspiring and affirming.

Here's a little bit about it I found on google.

http://www.youngmuslims.ca/articles/display.asp?ID=58

I wouldn’t say no one agrees with you IHG. I don’t think it’s admirable to buy a 275.00 t-shirt, and to be honest with you, I believe that the vast majority of those whom do, don’t give a shit about anybody but themselves, and aren’t contributing much if anything, to charity. And I do have a problem with that kind of rich person. I’m just saying, you can’t judge someone solely on what they buy, because you don’t know what they’re doing with the rest of their money.

And you make some good points.

I stand by my assertion it is unethical. It is so much higher than what the market rate for a t-shirt should costs its totally unreasonable. .

And not a single purchaser was forced to pay this extravagant price.

In our personal lives we have a right to provide for our needs and a reasonable level of confort for ourselves and our families. What we make in excess of that should be used to help others. Does it make someone that much more happy in their life in a legitimate fashion to have a $275 T-Shirt compared to the happiness that can be conferred upon others by donating the difference to a charity.

Could be used to help others. To these people, the measure is not done on an empathetic basis. They do not compare the happiness they will feel with the happiness they can imagine others will feel. The comparison is my happiness in having this versus my happiness I will feel when I help another. Even then, it is not unethical to consider self first.

You also forget that there are non-fat-cat-ordinary people that work in offices, distribution centers and in sales forces that rely on Tiffany's, Armani, Michael Kors, etc revenues to provide them with a 401K, medical benefits, and a living. While I do think that people in 3rd world and developing countries are exploited, working in horrible factory conditions is a heck of a lot better than the alternatives for young women and children that have to fend for themselves.

Tiana that can't be justification alone for me. I see spending on extravagant items as a bad practice and as a bad business to be in. Let me add the disclaimer that I don't think the follwing example is equivalent in severity.

But I would not use the harm done to the office worker in RJ Reynolds or Altria as a reason to say that the cigarette business is immoral and that people should not support it.

Extravagant spending and smoking have one thing in common. They are bad for America. The fact someone makes a buck on the way to feed their family can't be a justification for industry that is negative by nature.

????? huh ?????? This makes no sense to me unless you have an arbitrary square footage limit and home features in your opinion of what constitutes as enough.

Obviously the home for $3 million would have a lot more to offer than the $300K home.

I would. A home that has modestly sized rooms, a kitchen living area bathrooms. Basic things you find in a home. Not huge unused rooms, vast empty property or gold plated bathroom fixtures.

Oh, so your jealous/prejudice. You should try not to judge people until you get to know them. Rich people can be down to earth and good if you take the time to get to know them.

I am not jealous because I do not aspire to live that lifestyle. I am somewhat of a stoicist. Am I predjudiced? Yes I admit it. However I generally do not judge it as being bad alone to be rich but how you use your wealth that I have a problem with.

I wouldn’t say no one agrees with you IHG. I don’t think it’s admirable to buy a 275.00 t-shirt, and to be honest with you, I believe that the vast majority of those whom do, don’t give a shit about anybody but themselves, and aren’t contributing much if anything, to charity. And I do have a problem with that kind of rich person. I’m just saying, you can’t judge someone solely on what they buy, because you don’t know what they’re doing with the rest of their money.

And you make some good points.

Thank you Darla. Let me clarify. I said the act of buying a 275 dollar T-shirt is unethical. However performing an unethical act does not make for an unethical person as a whole. I have done unethical things in my life which I regret. However I would hope to think of myself as an ethical person.

This was in Trenton and a primarily black neighborhood and the Imam spoke of the immorality of wasteful spending on bling bling type items as it withheld assistance to your fellow brothers.

I do agree that our culture of bling bling is bad but not because of something you're not doing, but rather the negative effect blood diamonds have on the people that are being exploited.

Nope nobody is forced you are right. Thats not why I find it unethical though.

Could be used to help others. To these people, the measure is not done on an empathetic basis. They do not compare the happiness they will feel with the happiness they can imagine others will feel. The comparison is my happiness in having this versus my happiness I will feel when I help another. Even then, it is not unethical to consider self first.[/i

We should however weight the merits of the good of doing an act purely for our beneift vs the benefit it would confer to others. It is my opinion that at the point a t-shirt is 275 dollars that pleasure that it confers it far outbalanced by the pleasure that can be given to others for that difference in money.

As I told Tiana though this is my personal view not my political one.

Nope nobody is forced you are right. Thats not why I find it unethical though.

Could be used to help others. To these people, the measure is not done on an empathetic basis. They do not compare the happiness they will feel with the happiness they can imagine others will feel. The comparison is my happiness in having this versus my happiness I will feel when I help another. Even then, it is not unethical to consider self first.[/i

We should however weight the merits of the good of doing an act purely for our beneift vs the benefit it would confer to others. It is my opinion that at the point a t-shirt is 275 dollars that pleasure that it confers it far outbalanced by the pleasure that can be given to others for that difference in money.

As I told Tiana though this is my personal view not my political one.

Sure, I agree - I would not ever, personally, spend $275 on such an item. (My Scottish DNA would rebel, and burst forth from my body in a scene reminiscent of Alien.)

However, that is my moral frame. In political terms, I don't want anyone telling me how much I am permitted to spend on a t-shirt, or bad-mouthing my decision when I exercise my freedom in a way they see as unacceptable. That is a judgment based on their morals, not mine.

I do agree that our culture of bling bling is bad but not because of something you're not doing, but rather the negative effect blood diamonds have on the people that are being exploited.

Thats one aspect. However another problem is not just with diamonds but with gold, fashion, and goods that have no real intrinsic value. People use this money instead of using it to better their community and instead the wealth they have ammassed over the years simply disappears and is not passed on to children or even helps to lift a persons socioeconomic status.

Urban dwellers are especially harmed by this and the white run corporate powers know this.

Thats one aspect. However another problem is not just with diamonds but with gold, fashion, and goods that have no real intrinsic value. People use this money instead of using it to better their community and instead the wealth they have ammassed over the years simply disappears and is not passed on to children or even helps to lift a persons socioeconomic status.

Urban dwellers are especially harmed by this and the white run corporate powers know this.
A dollar does not cease to exist when spent. It's a voluntary redistribution of wealth.

Sure, I agree - I would not ever, personally, spend $275 on such an item. (My Scottish DNA would rebel, and burst forth from my body in a scene reminiscent of Alien.)

However, that is my moral frame. In political terms, I don't want anyone telling me how much I am permitted to spend on a t-shirt, or bad-mouthing my decision when I exercise my freedom in a way they see as unacceptable. That is a judgment based on their morals, not mine.

I agree 100% on political terms. However I am a libertarian that strongly believes in informal social controls in place of government ones. I believe that sometimes we should use our freedom of speech, freedom of assembly and freedom of association to try to affect change in people for the good of society. I would most certainly chide a person for such an act.

My big problem is using violent coercive measures which we both know are the only ones the government ever uses.

A dollar does not cease to exist when spent. It's a voluntary redistribution of wealth.

No but if you spend it on things that are not useful to you and depreciate quickly over time that dollar definitely shrinks.

No but if you spend it on things that are not useful to you and depreciate quickly over time that dollar definitely shrinks.
The dollar is independent and no longer connected to the thing you converted it into. Yes, exchanging in this way does decrease one's own wealth, but that dollar continues on. People are free to make their own choices, even foolish choices. The choice more foolish than exchanging cash for a depreciable item is financing a depreciable item - (we'll delay that discussion as it is somewhat outside this thread.)

yes people are definitely free to make that choice. Is it a good one? No. Would we do well to discourage that choice by offering advice contrary to it? Yes.

The fact someone makes a buck on the way to feed their family can't be a justification for industry that is negative by nature.

I fully agree with that statement.

I would. A home that has modestly sized rooms, a kitchen living area bathrooms. Basic things you find in a home. Not huge unused rooms, vast empty property or gold plated bathroom fixtures.

What's modest for you may not be modest for someone else. Really we don't need anything above what the Amish have or what small tribes throughout developing countries have. You're just comfortable with electricity, indoor plumbing, TV, and other spoils. The same judgement you place on people you consider to live extravagently can be placed on your lifestyle. Judging one's ethics based on such crude forms of subjectivity seems to be a bit unfair. There are many other factors that come into play.

I am not jealous because I do not aspire to live that lifestyle. I am somewhat of a stoicist. Am I predjudiced? Yes I admit it. However I generally do not judge it as being bad alone to be rich but how you use your wealth that I have a problem with.

Eloquent as usual, but at the end of the day just remember that being prejudiced is unethical as well! :)

What's modest for you may not be modest for someone else. Really we don't need anything above what the Amish have or what small tribes throughout developing countries have. You're just comfortable with electricity, indoor plumbing, TV, and other spoils. The same judgement you place on people you consider to live extravagently can be placed on your lifestyle. Judging one's ethics based on such crude forms of subjectivity seems to be a bit unfair. There are many other factors that come into play.

I don't have a problem with people having conveniences. Conveniences makes peoples lives easier and I won't sit and say they must work as hard as the Amish. If you want a GPS or a computer to make your life easier thats great. What I am against are things that people spend money on just to spend money on to make themselves look better or feel better than others. Its all about how much happiness it can bring you relative to how it can help others.

Living without electricity or plumbing would make people very unhappy.

As far as predjudice goes its all a matter of degree. We can't survive without predjudice. If a man in a ski mask holding a crow bar comes running at me I may prejudge that he intends me harm and take evasive action.

The problem is when we take predjudice to far or use predjudice of the wrong things.

Back