choices

Never been. On a completely unrelated topic, Finland is like that.

I thought I'd eventually like to do one, but after this experience, I'm thinking I'll stick resorts and shopping trips to Paris.

Finland, Finland, Finland
The country where I want to be
Pony trekking or camping
Or just watching TV
It's the country for me

The country where I want to be
Pony trekking or camping
Or just watching TV
It's the country for me

I wouldn't mind doing a Scandanavian tour actually. my friend was from the very norther parts of Finland actually. She said that during the summer they would be outside at 2 am jumping on the trampoline and it would like dusk for hours.

"I think it would be a cool idea. that would be the only way I'd ever see Alaska I think."

Fly into Anchorage and take the Rail down to Seward... or take it up through Denali to Fairbanks. Awesome trip. If you like to hike, you can hike the glaciers down in Seward or get off the train in Denali and go hiking there. Which is also sweet.

I saw a show on PBS about that rail ride, looked cool, and is one thing I want to someday do. Heck I guess I could work from alaska as well as from anywhere else....hmmm

"I think it would be a cool idea. that would be the only way I'd ever see Alaska I think."

Fly into Anchorage and take the Rail down to Seward... or take it up through Denali to Fairbanks. Awesome trip. If you like to hike, you can hike the glaciers down in Seward or get off the train in Denali and go hiking there. Which is also sweet.

Yeah....I don't think I'm a hiking person either. Especially on glaciers. People like that end up on Discovery Channel's "I Shouldn't Be Alive"

I think I'll stick to a nice commercialized cruise and stick with groups that have insurance and have a vested interest in me coming back unharmed.

US... it is awesome to take the rail. I highly recommend it.

Lady T.... goofball... ya can go with an experienced hiker and be fine or take a local guide. I bet more people die falling off cruise ships than hurt themselves on glaciers. (when I say more, I mean both raw numbers and in percentage terms)

GOD, I will have to skip most of the hiking as well, my po old back will only tolerate about 1 mile of walking a day. Then the sciatica and numbness kicks in.

Damn, I sure miss walking in the woods/ desert/mountains all day though....

US... it is awesome to take the rail. I highly recommend it.

Lady T.... goofball... ya can go with an experienced hiker and be fine or take a local guide. I bet more people die falling off cruise ships than hurt themselves on glaciers. (when I say more, I mean both raw numbers and in percentage terms)

I dont' think you have seen "I Shouldn't be Alive"

"I dont' think you have seen "I Shouldn't be Alive"

No, I have not. But I have hiked glaciers several times. If ya run around on them acting like a schmuck, then yeah, your odds of injury increase. Kind of like getting hammered on a cruise and seeing if you can balance on the deck railing while doing a body shot. :)

"I dont' think you have seen "I Shouldn't be Alive"

No, I have not. But I have hiked glaciers several times. If ya run around on them acting like a schmuck, then yeah, your odds of injury increase. Kind of like getting hammered on a cruise and seeing if you can balance on the deck railing while doing a body shot. :)

Or if your walking along minding your business a polar bear can come out of no where and eat you alive.

Lady T... true, of course you can also get eaten by a shark if you swim in the ocean.... or shot for wearing the wrong color shirt in LA, or beaten to a pulp because you live in NY, but like the Redsox

"Not on glaciers, generally speaking. Polar bears hang out on ice floes."

I was in Anchorage last fall and some of the hiking trails around town had postings about the number of bear attacks (not polar bears) on the trails. Which again leads to the point of knowing what you are doing or at least being with someone who does.

Lady T... true, of course you can also get eaten by a shark if you swim in the ocean.... or shot for wearing the wrong color shirt in LA, or beaten to a pulp because you live in NY, but like the Redsox

I wear gang-neutral colors when I'm in LA, I stay in very shallow waters at the beach, and I don't like baseball, and I don't traipse around polar bear country.

Better yet, did you see that Bear Man documentary about that idiot who went to a federal RESERVE park every year to protect the bears and got eaten by them? No Gracias.

"Not on glaciers, generally speaking. Polar bears hang out on ice floes."

I was in Anchorage last fall and some of the hiking trails around town had postings about the number of bear attacks (not polar bears) on the trails. Which again leads to the point of knowing what you are doing or at least being with someone who does.

Well unless that person has a shot gun and has no problem using it I'm still going to pass on the hiking on glaciers.

Back